Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times

Advertisements

Background: I've posted a few times about Scarlett, my 9/10 yr old blind/deaf sheltie, who also has developed seizures that are under control with phenobarbitol. Vet thinks she may have a brain tumor. I think dementia may be settling in, too. She also has severe food allergies to who knows what, so I feed her a raw diet. Background over.

She doesn't live an enjoyable doggie life anymore, particularly since losing her sight about 6 months ago. She's asleep more than she's awake, and when she wakes, she paces, constantly, in a circle sometimes. Sometimes she'll pace for a couple of hours at a time.

I can't take her for a walk anymore. I take her outside to get fresh air, and she paces in circles, will not follow the pull on the leash.

When I work, I have to keep her in an x-pen to contain her elimination. Currently, I'm on a medical leave (surgery) from work, and even then she had to stay in a pen because I couldn't get up to watch her. She's been out of the pen for a week now, and she seems a bit happier about it. She seemed to be frustrated by being contained all that time, and would whine for hours until I let her out. I'm able to move somewhat efficiently now, so she has a lot more freedom... to pace, constantly.

She has now been developing a skin condition in the last 2 weeks. There are spots on her back that look like moles. She never had them before, and a few more appear each day. She doesn't seem to be bothered by them. I'm waiting for a disability check so I can get her to the vet to be looked at, which should be this week.

She no longer comes to me for any affection. When I pet her or try to hold her, she'll just struggle and walk away.

I feel so sad for her, that I don't know if I should take that final step now, or until her medical condition deteriorates to a point that she cannot be comfortable at all. I've already had that talk with my vet, and he agreed (then) that now is not the time. My head says to leave her be as she still eats heartily, she has her strength, can tell when it's mealtime, and she can find her crate to be fed and actually waits for her food.

Just 2 nights ago, she came out of her crate and wandered into my bedroom, whining the whole time. I got up to try to see what I could do for her, maybe put her in my bed, cuddle her, but she wouldn't allow it, and continued whining. She hasn't since, but every once in a while, she does that.

I don't believe the blindness and deafness justify taking that final step, but I feel so awful for her because she seems to be alone in her own world.

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Unhappy I feel your pain

As a fellow Sheltie lover and mine are here at work with me, this are the loyalest friends you could have. It sounds like she has lost trust while on the leash. Poor thing; I don't know what to tell you. My husband would tell you to get down to her level and just love her.

I'll be thinking of you; hardest, saddest time ever in your pet's life.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Love her as well as you can given your condition. I think you already know the time is very near. Thoughts and prayers to you both.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Could she have had a stroke? That may explain her new behaviors. So sorry for you both. It's the hardest thing we can do for them, to relieve their suffering at the end.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
My little maltese suffered from doggie dementia at the end - sounds like you may be dealing with some of this as well. Pacing, whining, no longer enjoying the same things he once used to. He lost all housetraining for the last two years.

He no longer loved his walks and being outside; perhaps being deaf and blind made that no longer enjoyable to him; I'm not sure. He didn't even know we were home unless we touched him.

When I finally had him PTS - my vets office wondered what had taken me so long. His life was awful at the end.

I feel for you dealing with this right now. Do everything he still loves while you can. It does sound like the time is drawing close now.

Peace be with you.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
My rule has always been to ask myself "What are the dog's 3 favorite things in life?" Then I ask "Does the dog still enjoy those things?" If I can not honestly say that the dog is able to enjoy its favorite things then I know it is time.

I wish you the peace in your heart to make the right choice for your dog.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I don't have any answers or suggestions. I just want to hug you -- really, really tight.

PS. I hope that your surgery was a minor one and that you're feeling well.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I don't mean to sound harsh or unempathetic but you know the dog is suffering; face the reality and put her out of her misery. I don't recall ever having a vet tell me they think that it is time. You live with her, you know her best. Dogs are always a little perkier, alert, etc. at the vet, no matter how bad they feel - they are in an anxiety provoking environment and they perk up a bit. But you know her best. If she is suffering, if her best days are behind her and the odds are things are not going to substantially improve, you owe it to her to put your pain aside and do what is right for her. I have seen so many people keep dogs well past the time they should have been put down, where they pace endlessly, looking confused, disoriented, whine, can't stand to be touched or comforted--why would anyone want to live that way. Putting a dog down is never easy but it has to be done. Don't allow her to suffer because its too painful to make a decision. Sorry if that sounds insensitive but our pets depend on us, it's our responsibility to end their suffering.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh or unempathetic but you know the dog is suffering; face the reality and put her out of her misery. I don't recall ever having a vet tell me they think that it is time. You live with her, you know her best. Dogs are always a little perkier, alert, etc. at the vet, no matter how bad they feel - they are in an anxiety provoking environment and they perk up a bit. But you know her best. If she is suffering, if her best days are behind her and the odds are things are not going to substantially improve, you owe it to her to put your pain aside and do what is right for her. I have seen so many people keep dogs well past the time they should have been put down, where they pace endlessly, looking confused, disoriented, whine, can't stand to be touched or comforted--why would anyone want to live that way. Putting a dog down is never easy but it has to be done. Don't allow her to suffer because its too painful to make a decision. Sorry if that sounds insensitive but our pets depend on us, it's our responsibility to end their suffering.
I just don't know if she's actually suffering. She still interacts with the other dogs, just not as much as she used to. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, she still gets a little excited about mealtime. If her seizures weren't under control, then I'd let her go. She doesn't know when she's at the vet's office, she just goes with the flow as she always has. She doesn't get any more perkier than normal. The vet just didn't see a physical reason to put her down. He did say that if she does develop anything that can't be controlled, then it would be time.

But I do agree about her not wanting to be handled, comforted, etc. I think that's where I'm conflicted.

I just don't think I can justify putting her down unless she's hurting. Maybe the skin condition will reveal something. I don't know.

thank you everyone.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
I'm sorry to hear about your girl. Maybe take her in for a check up just in case something else is wrong with her that can be fixed. If all is ok maybe you can contact someone who has dealt with blind & deaf dogs who can give you pointers on how to relax them. It sounds miserable for both her and you. I sure hope things get better for you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs