Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

I have a foster boxer with epilepsy. Someone in my rescue network mentioned there are herbs that have been successfully used to manage epilepsy rather than pheonbarb. -- which can cause liver damage. Anyone know of such alternate treatments for canine epilepsy. Sure would love to get his condition managed so maybe he could find a forever home. He is a total lovebug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 AM

288 posts, read 692,641 times
Hey Squirl,
I am trying to find a really interesting article that I read quite recently about how diet can play a part in controlling epilepsy in dogs, It was a very interesting article, i may have to PM to with it when I find it.

The other option to explore would be maybe essential oils? I guess keeping any dog calm will help as Epilepsy can be exacerabated by stress. maybe a DAP Diffuser / collar, or maybe an oil burner with lavender?

In the meantime i hope the attached articles that may be of help

Naturally Treating Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders

Epilepsy Remedies

Old 09-20-2010, 06:14 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
My MinPin suffers with Fly Bite seizures, which is another form of epilepsy. She can't take Phenobarbital anymore, since last year we almost lost her to liver failure. I asked my vet if there is anything out there that is vitamin or herbal that would at least cut down the length and number of seizures, and she stated there was a professor at the University of Florida who has made a cocktail of vitamins and herbs that can be given as a supplement. I'll try to get more information about it, but I think the vitamin cocktail has B6, manganese and magnesium in it.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Acupuncture works wonders for reducing seizures. I have a friend that had an epileptic dog that went many years without a seizure after beginning acupuncture.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
I would check with your local veterinary school. Their hospitals often have studies going on or they have great recommendations for veterinarians who specialize in such things. Some of the best advice we have gotten for our fosters and our own dogs have been from the schools. Our regular vet isn't constantly keeping up on new studies, etc.

Sometimes, you may end up having to correspond with one further away from you for more information. I also look at the journal articles on google scholar for more current information and e-mail the authors directly.

Underlying Causes for Seizures

It may be worth contacting this veterinarian from the University of Tennessee since it appears he has a vested interest in this very topic. I have had to correspond with them on another case before and they are very helpful. I wouldn't go the herbal route until I knew 100% what was going on. Our regular vet has misdiagnosed several things that weren't nearly as common just because he didn't have experience with them.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs