U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM

126 posts, read 544,171 times

Advertisements

I live in a neighborhood where everyone seems to have a pitbull behind a 3-foot tall chain link. It has happened four times now where a dog has gotten over or under a fence, or through an open gate, while I was walking by with my dog. Once it was a chihuahua puppy that got under a fence. That was ok. It was kinda fun, actually. Once it was a vizsla who was obviously very friendly. But twice I've had a dog charge and it was an adrenaline-pumping, extremely unenjoyable experience.

This latest time -- earlier tonight actually -- I was walking my dog after dark. We passed by a house with a low fence in the front yard. There was a medium-sized dog there who barked at us and rustled some bushes. I didn't get a good look at it. We passed the house and the dog stopped barking. But about 15 seconds later I heard the unmistakable sound of nails scratching the sidewalk at rapid speed behind me. Anyone who has ever been charged by a dog knows the sound. They'll also know that sinking uh-oh feeling and how the hair on the back of your head stands up (just like your doggy companion). But this time, because it was dark, and we were between streetlights, I couldn't see the animal. I could only hear it. I was overcome by the Primal Fear -- something evil charging at you at you from out of the forest.

I did what I had rehearsed time and again. I turned and shouted HEY! The dog stopped in its tracks, about 15 feet from me. Then I yelled GET YOUR DOG, and someone appeared and sheepishly called the dog back.

It happened one other time where I've had to freeze a charging dog in its tracks by shouting. But what happens when a dog doesn't stop when I shout? I need information. Does anyone have any good advice or a website that explains the Dos and Donts of a dog attack? I just want me and my dog to get out of there alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:10 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,314,411 times
I would start taking some pepper spray or something like a walking stick with me.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,412,964 times
You need a good stick; the analog of a 6' length of 2" dowel. Needs to have enough strength to "poke-check" and keep a big dog at bay and enough weight to raise a good welt.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 AM

5,397 posts, read 4,327,425 times
Get some wasp spray. A good one shoots 20' and are pretty accurate.
Hit the dog in the eyes, he'll go the other direction, fast.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,412,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Get some wasp spray. A good one shoots 20' and are pretty accurate.
Hit the dog in the eyes, he'll go the other direction, fast.
I'm a little bearish on sprays. A few dogs will just get angrier and more determined to perforate your buttocks. Some form of mechanical tool that would, in nature, put a human on even ground with a wolf is what you're probably looking for.

If you get a spray, get one designed for the purpose.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,471,584 times
Carry a laser that looks like a cell phone. You can get one pretty cheap; shop online. Good personal protection for yourself to handle humans and canines.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,885,401 times
I have pepper spray attached to Dylan's leash and I carry a walking stick...which has a very sharp point on it's end. Both have been used on dogs attacking us. And got to admit, was very tempted to use more on the owner of one attacking dog, than the dog itself.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM

126 posts, read 544,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Carry a laser that looks like a cell phone.
Awesome. I have thought about the stick, and in fact there are many in my neighborhood who carry a stick. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure that many of the scary looking dogs in my neighborhood are loving house pets, but they still have big teeth.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,224,163 times
Use a stick. Stay away from laers/tasers unless you are trained. Once you establish dominance the attacking dog will likely run away with tail tucked and never bother you or your dog again. You should realize that dogs can "smell" fear and that your own self-confidence when walking your dog rather than being afraid of "big teeth" will go far in protecting yourself and your dog.

If you are going to use pepper spray purchase the kind designed for use on bears. Some dogs are simply not impressed by pepper spray. Dog treats can work too. The USPS mail & UPS delivery people carry them without fail. The main thing is to deter an attack and never allow an aggressing dog to get close enough to cause harm from the onset.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM

371 posts, read 798,936 times
If I'm going to be bitten the dog will get my left arm offer to it...The right will be sinking my knife into it repeatedly until it stops...Then a call to 911...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs