Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

I remember offering advice in your previous thread. I'm so sorry you didn't take my advice.

If you're not willing to do what's necessary to resolve this problem, I think it would be best to put the dog to sleep if you can't find a breed specific rescue for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I remember offering advice in your previous thread. I'm so sorry you didn't take my advice.

If you're not willing to do what's necessary to resolve this problem, I think it would be best to put the dog to sleep if you can't find a breed specific rescue for him.
I don't believe this is very fair of you. The OP is doing all that she can..I have no idea what your advice was, but just, maybe she didn't think it was the best advice for her...Please, don't judge her. And maybe you didn't read her entire post, because the dog is a mixed breed...There will be no "specific breed rescue" for him.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I don't believe this is very fair of you. The OP is doing all that she can..I have no idea what your advice was, but just, maybe she didn't think it was the best advice for her...Please, don't judge her. And maybe you didn't read her entire post, because the dog is a mixed breed...There will be no "specific breed rescue" for him.
I agree!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Randy Grim of St. Louis wrote a book called: "Don't Dump the Dog." He takes dogs that have only the death option, and sometimes is able to retrain them to be contributing members of their society.

Here is his link: Stray Rescue of St. Louis

I don't think he will take your dog, but he might have some words of advice that only someone of his experience level can offer.

Personally, as a child we were faced with a similar situation, where our shepard-mix ran down four baby lambs (two sets of two). We didn't realize it was his doing until the second time. We lived in farm country with deer in the woods, and my parents decided he had to be sent to doggy heaven.

Whatever you decide to do in this situation, your decision is yours, and it will be the right one for you. No one else stands in your shoes to judge.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,819 times
I have owned two German Shepherds and one GS mix, so I can kind of sympathize. On the other hand, my best friend's seven year old just got attacked by a GS and recieved 47 stitches in her shredded little head. Thank God there hasn't been any infection!! This was from the neighbor's dog that she has loved and played with for two years. He never even barked when she entered his home because he considered her family. This episode was horrible beyond comprehension, yet could've been so much worse. I'm glad it was just her head and not her pretty little face! Anyhow, the GS was like a child to the owner...He went everywhere with him in his truck, etc. But the man immediately turned his dog in to the warden, explaining the story. After seven days, the GS was put down. It would be nice to find a no-kill place for him, but don't take any chances! There are many repercussions for irresponsible dog ownership. Best wishes!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I have been a dog lover my whole life. I miss having a dog right now but circumstances are such that it would be unfair to have one now.

My beagle-terrier mix had a litter of 6 puppies with a german shepherd. The puppies were beautiful and all but one were adopted out. I kept one. He was a wonderful pet, easy to housebreak, was born the month before my younger son so they grew up together. My son adored that dog and vice versa. When he started crawling, the dog stayed with him and blocked his way from stairs, from danger, and when it was naptime, the dog was my son's pillow. Around the age of 4, the dog started becoming aggressive - mostly with the vet but with the kennel personnel also (when we had to travel and leave them home). The vet and I started watching him more closely. He began growling at the boys for no reason. I nipped that but the boys said he did it when I wasn't around. He started nipping at his mother. When I took him to the vet, I had to muzzle him BEFORE going into the office. And sometimes, mostly, he was his sweet gentle self. But he was 85 pounds of dog jaws and my children were my first priority. Then it happened. The boys were laying on the floor watching TV and the younger boy's foot "touched" the dog. Not kicked him, just made contact with him. He grabbed the foot, growled, and didn't let go until I yelled at him. That was it for me. I couldn't risk it. What if..........

I couldn't, in good conscience, allow him to suffer if, as the vet suspected, he was in pain and I couldn't live with myself if he went somewhere else and seriously injured someone.

I know I did the right thing but it didn't make it easier.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
I don't believe this is very fair of you. The OP is doing all that she can..I have no idea what your advice was, but just, maybe she didn't think it was the best advice for her...Please, don't judge her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I agree!
Here's the thread. My dog attacked his dad

The end result proves my advice was appropriate. Her dog came back from the trainer more violent.

Quote:
And maybe you didn't read her entire post, because the dog is a mixed breed...There will be no "specific breed rescue" for him.
One of my dogs is a mixed breed and came from a Beagle rescue. He was rescued because he was part Beagle.

The OP's dog is part GS. Many GS rescues take mixed breeds that are predominantly GS.

Regardless, my opinion stands---if there is no breed specific rescue willing to take the dog, have it put to sleep before it kills someone.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
Hopes: What ended up happening with the training was this; we didn't feel comfortable with Charlie in the house. You were telling me we needed to be involved in the training, which I agree with and we were. Charlie stayed at the training facility for 3 months during which we visited and trained with him (with the trainer) as much as possible, sometimes every day. We were (and are for the moment) committed to the training.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say I didn't take your advice. Charlie has been getting progressively more violent when I look back. I don't think his most recent training is the cause of his behavior. I think that I learned a lot while training with him and now I'm able to pick up on cues he's giving me. He may have been giving those cues all along, I just didn't realize it because I wasn't looking for the right things in his body language. I realize that he guards EVERYTHING and that scares me. I learned that guarding leads to biting unless the situation is handled very carefully.

Honestly, Hopes, I'm not interested in your criticism of my training of Charlie. I posted to get advice and help with what to do next. I checked with German Shepherd Rescue of Houston and Austin, they suggested that I put Charlie to sleep, that he's not adoptable. I have spoken with literally every rescue in the Houston/Austin area and all have advised me to put him to sleep. No one can give me any other solution. I am holding out to hear back from one more place before making an appt with the vet.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,819 times
I'm sorry. Sometimes it feels good just to get a little sympathy.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Have you had the vet look him over and make sure he does not have any pain or health issues? Sometimes the smallest thing like a bad tooth will turn a good dog bad.

Friend of mine had a Dalmatian that was pretty aggressive, we shared a beach house as we were working out of town. One day when we were packing to move the front door opened, the carpet cleaner decided to come one day early. Oreo silently attacked him, no warning growl. Rob was beside his self. As much as I did not care for the dog, I had to defend him. Oreo protected us all from invasion. Rob was going to cover all expenses, but the guy got greedy. Wanting dis-ability, $10,000, hospital expenses. I reminded Rob to tell the guy to file it as a workman's comp file as it was work related. And the guy was in the wrong for illegal entry.

Sorry for the long story. Hold his paw and praise him if you put him to sleep. He still deserves compassion in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs