Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,620,752 times

Advertisements

All but one of my many dogs over the years were put to sleep at the vet's. That one died while I was at work, of heat stroke, lying in the shade. I have always believed we owe it to them to make their passing as good as possible, with dignity and no pain. They can't tell us so we have to be the best judge we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 AM

18,651 posts, read 33,216,650 times
I've had one dog have an apparent heart attack while in kennel. Otherwise, none have passed in their sleep, although I wished they would. I have always looked at them and said, is it time? What am I waiting for? And I even panicked when I took my 17-year-old dog in- was it too soon? My vet said kindly that she wouldn't put an animal down if she didn't think it was appropriate. With one dog, it was when I looked in his eyes and he had that blank frightened look that advanced Alzheimer's people have, and he fell, with that look. At 15, I again asked, what am I waiting for? I don't know if a dog will pass peacefully in his sleep. Maybe he'll have a stroke, fall over, or a seizure. It might come to an emergency and that wouldn't be peaceable at all.
Please take some comfort from knowing that all of us on this board have been there, and some of us many times. Best wishes in caring for your friend to the end and beyond.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,500,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No she does not seem to be in any physical pain. For a dog who can't see she knows her way around the house.
I do not mind helping her through the last days of her life by changing diapers or putting up with random barking and growling. This is NOT a matter of my convenience. I want her to be happy or at her best.
If anything her distress seems more emotional than physical. She really is not unlike some geriatric humans. I just worry that she is frightened and will not accept comforting.
I admit that I miss the old Poodie, but I am fine caring for her as long as it is the right thing to do.
I had another dog, my first dog as an adult and sadly I think that there were very real signs that her life as she knew it, was over. The vet recommended that she be put to sleep and I walked out of the office in a huff.
That dog was social and affectionate to the end. But she had complications from a genetic cardiac problem/. I now wonder did I keep her alive for a selfish reason?
Because she was still providing ME with love and affection? Was I foolish and selfish in my 20s acting out of a false idea of animal rights when I should have done something?
I do not want to make the same - or a different mistake twice.
I just wish that all pets would be happy and healthy and then one day simply go to sleep and cross the Rainbow Bridge.
I am sure that I am not alone in this desire.
I also diapered a dog until her death and she suddenly became a "don't touch me" dog. My vet told me that she had developed a form of dementia he put her on some meds and they worked wonders suddenly she stopped being snappish and trying to hide out everywhere and became the lap dog again I knew so well she did just fine until she developed cancer. Had she not gotten cancer I have no doubt that I would have diapered her and made her life easier until the end. That being said everyones situation is differant and you have to do what is best for the fur baby. Blind and deaf dogs adapt wonderfully well to their surroundings as long as their routine stays pretty well the same. I say just adopt a wait and see approach. It is a difficult decision to make and my heart goes out to you.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,381,714 times
Sheena - just wanted to say what a wonderful, kind and caring dog mom you are. Thanks for sharing this with us. I only hope you find peace and comfort in whatever you decide to be in Poodie's best interests. Hugs to both you and Poodie.
P.S. Sounds like you are a lot like your mom...both rescuers of unwanted dogs, with lots of love to share.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,614,554 times
This is a very personal decision for a dog owner. I am likely to have a dog euthanized if I don't believe it has a good quality of life. Good is very hard to define -- and again is a personal definition. I do know that a dog rescuer will likely take another deserving dog when there is again space in the home. Whether you get your next dog from a rescue group or the shelter, inevitably you do open up space at a shelter for another dog and quite likely keep one or more dogs from being euthanized. So, as you consider when it is time for your sweet baby to go to the bridge, also think about the impact of keeping her v. saving another.....

Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 PM

23,886 posts, read 32,184,034 times
Thank all of you for your thoughtful and wise comments. I sometimes think that "No Kill" can go to extremes because to be truthful, I really do not think I would want to be kept alive under extraordinary circumstance. especially if I could not read, see, write and communicate with others. Also if I could no longer recognize mt loved ones or lived in fear or paranoia.
Poodie was a dog who once bossed around my rescued pit bull mix! Maple the pittie would see Poodie coming and she would jump off the couch to give Poodie her space rather than risk a confrontation with an 18 lb. mini - poodle the powerfully built 80 lb Maple would slink of to her crate. We always got a laugh out of that.
I am going to see how this weekend goes. Unfortunately I am at a stage in my life where I have not yet met a vet who I completely trust to act always in the animals best interest with out some other agenda that is usually tied to money.

There are so many kind people here. Why can't the world be more like this forum?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:46 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,500,190 times
Quote:
Thank all of you for your thoughtful and wise comments. I sometimes think that "No Kill" can go to extremes because to be truthful, I really do not think I would want to be kept alive under extraordinary circumstance. especially if I could not read, see, write and communicate with others. Also if I could no longer recognize mt loved ones or lived in fear or paranoia.
Poodie was a dog who once bossed around my rescued pit bull mix! Maple the pittie would see Poodie coming and she would jump off the couch to give Poodie her space rather than risk a confrontation with an 18 lb. mini - poodle the powerfully built 80 lb Maple would slink of to her crate. We always got a laugh out of that.
I am going to see how this weekend goes. Unfortunately I am at a stage in my life where I have not yet met a vet who I completely trust to act always in the animals best interest with out some other agenda that is usually tied to money.

There are so many kind people here. Why can't the world be more like this forum?
Your Poodie sounds delightful and to think a pittie can't be bullied around. Trust your own instincts fortunately I do have a wonderful vet that allowed me to trust my own instead of trying to convince me to put that baby down. When it was time I knew it and my fur baby knew it and my wonderful vet made sure this was the decision that I wanted. I also wish all my past babies could have just gone in their sleep but that was not to be. Go with your heart. I also wish that the rest of the world were as insightful, kind, compassionate and loving as the people on the forum.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,814,793 times
Quote:

You are right Sheena. There are many wonderful people on this forum, and you are one of them. Your Poodie has a wonderful Mommy, and whatever you choice you make will be supported by many of the wonderful pet folks on this thread. Many of us have been through the aging pet experience and it touches every emotion we have.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM

23,886 posts, read 32,184,034 times
I really mean this - I do love everyone who has responded with kindness and compassion on this forum.
I am not sure of the exact quote but I know it was said by Mahatma Ghandi it went something like
"We should judge a society by the way that it treats it's animals"
If that is not correct please give me the right quote.
People on certain forums can be mean nasty cutting and competitive.
People here are kind, gentle and compassionate.
This is the "society" that loves animals and holds them in high regard.
We also extend kindness to one another.
This is a beautiful thing!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:08 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,955,417 times
Quote:

you just described pretty much the last 5 years of my mom's life..... she could see and communicate, but lots and lots of ongoing little strokes left her with progressively severe dementia, wheelchair bound and incontinent..... it was BEYOND awful and painful for both of us........based on that experience and what i dealt with and saw in the head injury rehab hospital many years ago, i have come to the conclusion that we humans have a lot to learn about accepting death as a natural part of life........ i have made it abundantly clear to all who are close to me that NO extraordinary measures are to be taken to keep my body alive when it gets to that.......

all that said, you know your poodie best..... it is a heartbreaking crossroads you have reached, but as many have said, you will know when it is time for that last act of kindness and love to help her over the bridge.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs