U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
998 posts, read 3,255,647 times
Reputation: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Do you give her insulin shots ?
Do you.... yourself test your dogs blood sugars ? You might have to, to have more control to see when the blood sugar is spiking or going low.

If not, UR going to have to cut back on this new food.
no cookies, no snacks, no carrots until U figure out what is causing the high blood sugars.
FYI- even tho carrots are healthy, they have natural sugar in them.
Yes we give her insulin shots 12 hrs apart. I don't give her any treats. She still is peeing after we increased the dosage of insulin another unit. I know it takes a couple days to adjust. Vet is coming next Thursday again. (my little car payment - lol). I hope the problem is the new food and nothing more serious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 AM
 
Location: County Mayo Descendant
2,641 posts, read 2,647,852 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
My dog has diabetes (diagnosed a few months ago). Had her under control, and now she is peeing on the rug every night... only at night. Had her checked out again by vet. Glucose was good (102) no urinary infection, no cushings indication problems, no thyroid issues, checked kidney... so what is it? She is 13 yrs old. Why would she still be drinking so much and peeing at night? I watched her one night. After we take her out before we go to bed..around 10:00 pm. She is up again around 11:30 making her way toward the door (where rug is). I took her out, she went to the bathroom. Go back in to go to bed. Then I hear her a couple hours later drinking water. Wake up the next morning, and of course she peed on the rug again. I am thinking of taking her to the Vet School here in Raleigh and maybe they can figure out what's going on. Plus she doesn't tell me anymore when she needs to go out. She used to whine at night to let me know.. but now she just goes. Any ideas? I changed her food also to a high protein diet to see if that will make any difference (just yesterday). I think it is called Orijen. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
My pet is diabetic also, does your pet receive 1 or 2 insulin shots a day?
usually it is 2 injections 12 hrs apart, if its 1 shot that would explain the night time urination or the leaking, how much does your dog weigh and what type of insulin are you using and how many units of insulin do you inject, how much food do your feed 1 cup etc? any treats?

When you had her bg taken at the vet how many hours was it after insulin injection was blood drawn? Hopefully the vet did not tell you your pet needed to fast before the blood test, which is a big no, no.

Any increases or decreases in insulin usually takes at least 3 days to show effect of insulin but all dogs handle insulin differently.

Never withold water from a diabetic pet.

Do you test your dogs glucose with a blood glucose meter? That will really help you and it will be less vet visits.

Orijen in the blue bag is a good food for diabetic pets being there are less carbs and its a quality food. Does your vet carry the diabetic pet foods? Not that you need to use them, I went that way in the beginning until I understood canine diabetes, also any changes in types of food will effect the blood glucose, alot of the pet foods have corn listed as the first ingredient, not good when first diagnosed

I sent you a PM, help is there for youl

Last edited by rural lady; 08-20-2010 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
998 posts, read 3,255,647 times
Reputation: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
My pet is diabetic also, does your pet receive 1 or 2 insulin shots a day?
usually it is 2 injections 12 hrs apart, if its 1 shot that would explain the night time urination or the leaking, how much does your dog weigh and what type of insulin are you using and how many units of insulin do you inject, how much food do your feed 1 cup etc? any treats?

When you had her bg taken at the vet how many hours was it after insulin injection was blood drawn? Hopefully the vet did not tell you your pet needed to fast before the blood test, which is a big no, no.

Any increases or decreases in insulin usually takes at least 3 days to show effect of insulin but all dogs handle insulin differently.

Never withold water from a diabetic pet.

Do you test your dogs glucose with a blood glucose meter? That will really help you and it will be less vet visits.

Orijen in the blue bag is a good food for diabetic pets being there are less carbs and its a quality food. Does your vet carry the diabetic pet foods? Not that you need to use them, I went that way in the beginning until I understood canine diabetes, also any changes in types of food will effect the blood glucose, alot of the pet foods have corn listed as the first ingredient, not good when first diagnosed

I sent you a PM, help is there for youl

Yes she gets 2 insulin shots a day - 12 hrs apart. She is on humilin N. She now is on 9 units. She wieghs about 27 lbs (min. aussie). I'll try the blue bag Orijen. I am using the red right now. The vet actually comes to the house (my dog is so nervous when she goes to the vet, so I have one come to the house instead). She has a glucose meter and checks her. Yes she does fast before getting tested. I feed her home made food in the morning (we cook it ourselves - has boiled chicken, brown rice, green beans & some tomatoes in it) we have used this before when she was stable at 7 units. Then we used to feed her science diet mature diet. But I quit doing that and changed her to the Orijen because she liked it and it was rated to good for glucose issues. She did get one cup of food and I give her a small real, chicken boiled treat after she gets her shot. (Makes her happy and the only treat she gets).

Yes my vet also stated it isn't so much the food.. it is changing anything because once you are stable it should stay. That is what is confusing. She was stable and then it changed before I did anything different. I often wonder if the heat has anything to do with it.

Anyway thanks for the info - I will check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 AM
 
Location: County Mayo Descendant
2,641 posts, read 2,647,852 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Yes she gets 2 insulin shots a day - 12 hrs apart. She is on humilin N. She now is on 9 units. She wieghs about 27 lbs (min. aussie). I'll try the blue bag Orijen. I am using the red right now. The vet actually comes to the house (my dog is so nervous when she goes to the vet, so I have one come to the house instead). She has a glucose meter and checks her. Yes she does fast before getting tested. I feed her home made food in the morning (we cook it ourselves - has boiled chicken, brown rice, green beans & some tomatoes in it) we have used this before when she was stable at 7 units. Then we used to feed her science diet mature diet. But I quit doing that and changed her to the Orijen because she liked it and it was rated to good for glucose issues. She did get one cup of food and I give her a small real, chicken boiled treat after she gets her shot. (Makes her happy and the only treat she gets).

Yes my vet also stated it isn't so much the food.. it is changing anything because once you are stable it should stay. That is what is confusing. She was stable and then it changed before I did anything different. I often wonder if the heat has anything to do with it.

Anyway thanks for the info - I will check it out.
I cannot understand whythe vet is having her fast before doing the blood draw, do they take the blood or just use a meter? The meters can be off, I am assuming the vet is using the Alphatrak meter for pets?

With fasting the bg is going to have a lower reading. It seems to me with previous using 1 C of the dry food and her weighing 27 lbs 1 Cup of food is alot. My dog gets 1/2 C of the Orijen, veg's and turkey weighs 51 lbs. and gets 10 to 11 units of insulin, but of course all dogs handle food & insulin different, the red bag Orijen may be higher in carbs, I've never tried it.

Her bg should come down with the homecooked, you can always add some of the dry food with green beans or other low carb veg's.

I'd ask the vet why they are making her fast before drawing blood for her bg test. I've never been told to do this, if I would fast my pet I know my dogs bg would be dropping and I would be worried about it, usually they fast before certain tests or pre surgery and are given a low dose of insulin before those fasting tests and pre surgery.

Believe me some vets just don't understand this disease, will tell you to keep raising the insulin when they see the highs, has your vet done a curve? This is drawing blood every 2 hours to check bg over a period of time usually 8 hrs, this gives you a picture of how your dog is handling the food and insulin. You may want to ask your vet about doing a curve, if they feel it isn't necessary my warning flag would go up with using that vet.

I hope this helps some, it takes some time to understand all of this but eventually it will all come together, dogs can have high readings from too much insulin also, that may sound odd but thats called rebound and it happened with my dog when first diagnosed, they had my dog up to 18 units just going by one blood draw and using that as their decision to increase the insulin, after I joined a group I realized how wrong the vet was and changed vets.

I'm not meaning to scare you or anything like that, I want you to be informed on certain matters and question your vet, thats your pet and at times you need to take the bull by the horns with some of the vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
998 posts, read 3,255,647 times
Reputation: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I cannot understand whythe vet is having her fast before doing the blood draw, do they take the blood or just use a meter? The meters can be off, I am assuming the vet is using the Alphatrak meter for pets?

With fasting the bg is going to have a lower reading. It seems to me with previous using 1 C of the dry food and her weighing 27 lbs 1 Cup of food is alot. My dog gets 1/2 C of the Orijen, veg's and turkey weighs 51 lbs. and gets 10 to 11 units of insulin, but of course all dogs handle food & insulin different, the red bag Orijen may be higher in carbs, I've never tried it.

Her bg should come down with the homecooked, you can always add some of the dry food with green beans or other low carb veg's.

I'd ask the vet why they are making her fast before drawing blood for her bg test. I've never been told to do this, if I would fast my pet I know my dogs bg would be dropping and I would be worried about it, usually they fast before certain tests or pre surgery and are given a low dose of insulin before those fasting tests and pre surgery.

Believe me some vets just don't understand this disease, will tell you to keep raising the insulin when they see the highs, has your vet done a curve? This is drawing blood every 2 hours to check bg over a period of time usually 8 hrs, this gives you a picture of how your dog is handling the food and insulin. You may want to ask your vet about doing a curve, if they feel it isn't necessary my warning flag would go up with using that vet.

I hope this helps some, it takes some time to understand all of this but eventually it will all come together, dogs can have high readings from too much insulin also, that may sound odd but thats called rebound and it happened with my dog when first diagnosed, they had my dog up to 18 units just going by one blood draw and using that as their decision to increase the insulin, after I joined a group I realized how wrong the vet was and changed vets.

I'm not meaning to scare you or anything like that, I want you to be informed on certain matters and question your vet, thats your pet and at times you need to take the bull by the horns with some of the vets.

Hmm.. thanks so much for the info! Last night was the first night in a long time that she did not pee on the rug. I'm so happy. The vet does draw blood and I am not sure what meter she has. Maybe she isn't really fasting and I am confused. I usually feed her around 6: 30 am in the morning and night 6:30 at night. The vet checks her (she lives by me) at 7:00 pm on her way home. The vet has a diabetic cat and seems to understand the disease. She said her cat was very difficult to regulate. So I am confident in her as she rather have my dog's bg be slightly higher than lower. She did not do an every 2hr test. Since she is a mobile vet, I think maybe that would be the reason.

I'm not surprised my dog eats alot...lol.. I kept telling my husband over the years to quit feeding her junk (bacon strips constantly) real ones of course. He doesn't believe me that it was bad.. even when the vet said so. Anyway I am happy to report that maybe the food and insulin have finally regulated somewhat. I guess I'll know more by Thursday when she comes again to be tested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
 
1 posts, read 11,841 times
Reputation: 11
I have an almost 11 year old yellow lab recently has a tyroid condition and now is diabetic his sugar was 700. It's only been 3 weeks but having a hard time regulating his sugar still high in the high 400's. I've changed his diet and treat intake anyone have comments in how long regulating can take. So fustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 PM
 
Location: County Mayo Descendant
2,641 posts, read 2,647,852 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffinmaquire View Post
I have an almost 11 year old yellow lab recently has a tyroid condition and now is diabetic his sugar was 700. It's only been 3 weeks but having a hard time regulating his sugar still high in the high 400's. I've changed his diet and treat intake anyone have comments in how long regulating can take. So fustrated
I sent you a message, regulation can take up to 2 months or more depending on diet, blood glucose checks, as time goes by the vet may increase insulin by 1 unit per week, best thing is to buy a blood glucose meter and test your pet before mealtimes, also ask your vet if they do a blood glucose curve, if they do not and never heard of it or feel its not necessary, then thats a warning flag with that vet.

Also diet is important, the food and insulin need to match up, I can't explain it all here, please check your inbox.

I wish you and your doggie well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 11,106 times
Reputation: 10
Default 8 1/2 Yr. old Rottweiler

My dog "Mac" was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with diabetes. I have had him on 23 units of insulin since then and we just changed to 25 units 2 days ago.

He went from being a normal healthy dog on February 11, 2011 (his last complete physical) to a glucose level off the chart in 4 months. Wetting at night is a major problem. During the day there is no problem, he comes and goes out on his own as we have a completely fenced and screened yard. At night, even though we leave the patio door open for him, he chooses to just wet on the floor. We don't restrict his water and we don't crate him at night. We will check with our Vet regarding his protien diet, but it sounds like this may be a long-term problem. Any suggestions?

Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
 
Location: County Mayo Descendant
2,641 posts, read 2,647,852 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Justini View Post
My dog "Mac" was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with diabetes. I have had him on 23 units of insulin since then and we just changed to 25 units 2 days ago.

He went from being a normal healthy dog on February 11, 2011 (his last complete physical) to a glucose level off the chart in 4 months. Wetting at night is a major problem. During the day there is no problem, he comes and goes out on his own as we have a completely fenced and screened yard. At night, even though we leave the patio door open for him, he chooses to just wet on the floor. We don't restrict his water and we don't crate him at night. We will check with our Vet regarding his protein diet, but it sounds like this may be a long-term problem. Any suggestions?

Linda
How much does your Mac weigh? You're correct, never restrict water with a diabetic pet.

The long term problem is the wetting at night correct?

I'd ask the vet to do a blood glucose curve also

Please go to this site, all the help you need is there, all members have dogs with diabetes or diabetes and cushings.

Diabetes in Dogs: The diabetes.com Forum - Powered by vBulletin

They will need to know your dogs weight, breed, food given and how much, insulin type and units, date of diagnosis & any other medications Mac is taking.

The site will really help you, will send you a DM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM
 
1 posts, read 10,613 times
Reputation: 12
my 11yr old min pin has started drinking alot of water and peeing alot. so i took her to the vet yesterday and now we know she has diabetes and cushings. She now has to have 2 shots a day of insulin. I was wondering if anybody knew of a natural treatment or aid in both the diebetes and the cushings. They also changed her diet to the Royal Canin Diabetic HF 18 food ( expensive) and said not treats . This is all new to me so I wonder if anybody can give me some tips to help her be has healthy and happy as can be with this now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top