Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM

30 posts, read 108,469 times

Advertisements

I've got Samps scheduled for a second opinion on Monday with a Wellness center (homeopathic)... in the mean time I've come across two alternatives that have lit me up ... what do you know about "Protocel" and "Protandim"?<br>the latter has a great combination of natural wonders that stand on their on merits .... their use together, looks to provide a synergistic effect/affect and there is a good track record for cancer treatment in dogs and horses besides humans ...<br>have requested it's success and use against the aggressive cells of a hemangio sarcoma ... will keep you posted <br>feeling a little less hopeless <br>debbi-o<br>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Yes, please keep us (or me) posted. I know nothing about either substance you mention. Good luck with the Wellness center.

My vet clinic oncologist wasn't encouraging about any homeopathic treatments. Still, I tried a bunch of vitamins and natural meds that were supposed to boost immune system function and help kill free radicals, but nothing worked; it was already too late for my dog. It was like flushing $100 bills down the toilet.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 PM

I'm going to treat Samp with oxidative therapy, using Protandim as the antioxidant trigger.
This daily regiment of a patented ratio of natural extracts, (Tumeric, Bacopa, Green tea, Milk Thistle, ... and maybe Ashwagandha root) attack the free radicals that accumulate as a by-product from stress related assaults thwarted off by the bodies natural defense. These free radical molecules damage a wide variety of tissues and are thought to be a contributory factor to, not only cancers and arthritis, but also to the blood vessels that can cause heart disease.

Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPbRznGP1uU&sns=em

the scientific community is on it ... currently, out of University of Colorado, there is a cancer study in dogs.
Protandim was originally marketed as an antiaging stratagy.
Publications show it irradicated skin cancer in a mouse model ... even though the FDA approved it as a daily supplement ... there is far more promise to it.
I'm a research scientist by trade ... neurodegenerative diseases ... Will most likely start taking this myself once I get Samps underway ... I ordered it through the company that has the patent, Life Vantage ( lifevantage.com ) ... but have seen it sold through Amazon, basically the same price but I want to stay away from possible Knock-offs to make sure Samps is getting the right ratio thats been studied.
Basically $50/month ... 30 daily tablets ... the dose of one tab a day is enough to flood a dog or horse or adult man with enough antioxidants to destroy free radical molecules with out any side effects ... and more is not better, the ratio of this blend of herbs is patent protected.
Will keep you updated with Samps counter attack on this Hemangio Sarcoma.
debbi-o

Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 PM

Sounds exciting and certainly a lot more affordable than traditional doxyrubicin IV treatments. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Sept. 5th 2012
received Protandim today, started treating Sampras.
Samps is a 6 year old, 115 lbs Golden, diagnosed from a lipoma-like-mass removed August 20th from the outer back leg hock with undefined cell types classified Hemangio sarcoma.

Daily regiment:
Protandim -- 1 tablet
Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Kibble (Chicken meal formula) ad lib
Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Frozen Diet (Beef Formula) -- 1 thawed patty
Yunnan Baiyao -- 2 tablets AM
-- 1 tablet noon
-- 2 tablets PM (this herb has not been delivered yet, but is due in tomorrows mail)

I have opted out of staging the tumor @$1,500.00
I have also opted out of both Chemo, 5 rounds @$5,000.00 and Radiation therapy @$6,000.00.

Instead Samps will stay on a high protien-low carb, grain free diet with a daily hit of antioxidants and chinese herbs for blood vessel repair.
Wish us ... time

debbi-o

Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Sept. 13th 2012
(8 days on Protandim, 7 days on Yunnam)
Still adjusting to diet change ... I believe the transition from Life Abundance kibble to Instinct-raw boost kibble is good, looks to be the addition of "raw" that contributes to a loose stool.
Found a local Pet Grocer "Noah's" that carries a good variety of Natural-Healthy pet foods, picked up frozen raw Organ meats-vegetables patties: Beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, venison and will introduce in smaller portions.

Weather has been unusually hot and humid to determine any changes ... in any direction ...

In a Holding pattern
debbi-o

Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the updates!

Did you transition the diet slowly? If no, that can cause GI upset. Add some plain canned pumpkin (just 3 or 4 tablespoons per meal) for added fiber. Pumpkin is very soothing and good for a dog's GI system and most dogs love it. My golden sure did; I always kept a can on hand just in case and now I use it for my cat.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Thanks,
Pumpkin is actually what holds the kibble together in the Insinct brand, good to know it has a calming effect.
Samps seems to have adjusted to the raw, I'm still blending his old kibble with his new, stools are back to normal.
Just got back from moving my oldest into college life. Five days away from Samps ... outside looking in, he seems to be feeling better ... he has more energy, if you call humping his floor pillow a "feel good" activity
Weather has been a bit cooler, so behavior changes are hard to judge with outside variables you can't control.
There does seem to be more talking with the neighbor dogs ... there is this kind of an old game of "telephone" going on with distant/barking between them which I hadn't seen before ...
Samps appetite is good, he's eager to go out and about, his breathing is labored at times, there is a new small lipoma-type on the same leg, different area, where the sarcoma was removed
Will speak with his Vet who has mapped the lipomas on Samps body.

debbi-o

Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM

So I took a closer look at this new lump ... it feels like a classical lipoma ... free moving, right under the skin, kind of soft/spongy and the best part it's not near any vasculature

debbi-o

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 PM

Fingers crossed that Samp continues to do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs