U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 AM

417 posts, read 922,527 times

Advertisements

So we're planning on getting Sydney neutered the week after Labor Day because he's about 7 months now. Just had some questions though, our vet quoted the neuter at $465...that seemed a little high to me for a perfectly healthy young dog. The thing is that I loove our vet though so I'm conflicted. The neuter includes extracting any leftover baby teeth as well as pre surgery bloodwork. The vet tech said we could waive the bloodwork since its only required for older dogs but Sydney is my baby so I want to do all I can to make this go smoothly for him. Should I get the bloodwork done? If his teeth have already fallen out and we don't do bloodwork its brought down to $390. Does this sound like a normal price? (By the way I'm in NJ). Both my parents dogs were rescues that were spayed/neutered before we got them so it was included in the adoption fee so I don't know if this is the average rate. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, I've only ever had female dogs..he's my first male. What is the recovery rate for males? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
I absolutely would not waive the bloodwork. It can indicate that some levels or off and that the neuter should be put on hold. That said, that price is ridiculous to me, even for an area like NJ.

We live in a very HCOL area (San Diego) and our English Bulldog (one of the most expensive, medically) was neutered for $220. All tests, all bloodwork, monitoring, the right type of anesthesia for the breed, etc. This was done at a Bulldog-specific vet, since not everyone knows how to intubate this breed. A regular vet quoted us $750, and we'd never let that fool touch our dog since he knew nothing about the breed.

I get you love your vet, but I'd search around. This is a neuter, not a spay. It's a simple procedure. If I can pay that in San Diego for a Bulldog, you surely can find a lower price in Jersey! FWIW, the Oradell Animal Hospital is wonderful, though not exactly near E. Windsor. I'm from Jersey as well, so I'm very familiar with the clinics there!

As far as recovery, he was up and about the next day. No cone of shame needed, since he can't even reach that area! Also, if your dog came from a rescue, maybe contact them for referrals. Many rescues have vouchers for future spays/neuters to encourage people to go. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM

9,682 posts, read 15,864,806 times
That's outrageous!

Have you tried local humane societies? We had our cat spayed at a humane society for $35! they did include some blood work, and a pain shot was $10 extra, which we gladly paid. The vets at the humane society here are all volunteers, donate their time, you get the same vet as a discount price.

Of course, I understand you wanting the best for your baby, I would, too, but I was honeslty impressed with the level of care we received at the Humane Society for such a low price. If in doubt, ask to tour the facilities, get a feel for the quality of the equipment, etc.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,403,414 times
That sounds extreme.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,596,970 times
Agreed. I would try some of the local shelters, who usually offer discounts for spay/neuter. While neutering is not as invasive as spay, I also agree about not foregoing the bloodwork; not sure if low-cost programs do bloodwork, but you could always go to your vet for the bloodwork (to make sure everything is good-to-go) and then to the shelter for the actual procedure:

Low cost or free spay-neuter programs in U.S. for pet and feral cats listed by state and area code . Love That Cat Store

IMHE, most low-cost spay/neuter procedures cost between $20-50. Bloodwork is expensive (~100-150, depending), which was probably why the tech was saying you could opt out of it but I wouldn't. Even with bloodwork, though, the total would be much less than what you were quoted.

I really don't understand the "leftover puppy teeth" extraction; I have never heard of that being done but it would seem that it was definitely added to your estimate.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,089,659 times
When I worked at a vet pulling the leftover puppy teeth was a standard question we asked when puppies were getting spayed/neutered. That price sounds a little high, how big/what breed is your dog? For great danes and larger breeds it will be more expensive. Where I worked we always did bloodwork for all pets getting surgery (regardless of age) unless they already had bloodwork done recently. If it were me I would get it to be on the safe side. And I totally understand wanting to stay with your vet. If you get an estimate from the Dr it should be exact, but at our vet if you asked the receptionist, it's more of a ballpark estimate...maybe check to see if the $465 is a worst case senario or an exact price...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM

417 posts, read 922,527 times
Sydney is an Australian Shepherd mix...hes about 25-30 lbs. Yes, I plan on calling tomorrow morning to talk to our vet but I am also thinking of asking around. We're going to the dog park once I get off work so I'm hoping some of the other owners there will have suggestions as well. I am going to do the bloodwork but I think I'll check into other local vets and even shelters. I have nothing against going to a shelter to get it done as both my parents dogs were spayed there and are perfectly healthy years later. I was just curious if this was a high quote as both my parents dogs were spayed by the shelter before we got them. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:43 PM

119 posts, read 397,696 times
I am in a very rural area so I am sure prices in NJ would be a lot higher but I got my 7 month old lab fixed for $65.00 and I just actually got my female Sheltie spay for $50.00 so those prices seem very outrageous to me.

On the other side my Lab stayed the night and when I got him the next morning you couldnt hardly tell that he had anything done. He maybe wasnt quite as playful and a little more sleepy but he recovered super fast.

Hope everything goes great for you and your fur baby.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,864,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
I am in a very rural area so I am sure prices in NJ would be a lot higher but I got my 7 month old lab fixed for $65.00 and I just actually got my female Sheltie spay for $50.00 so those prices seem very outrageous to me.

On the other side my Lab stayed the night and when I got him the next morning you couldnt hardly tell that he had anything done. He maybe wasnt quite as playful and a little more sleepy but he recovered super fast.

Hope everything goes great for you and your fur baby.

Insofar as staying the night, I would check on that. Many vets keep the animal overnight, but no staff on hand! Check to make sure someone is there all night, or you will just have a frightened, medically unstable animal left totally alone, listening to other dogs bark, smelling other animals in distress.

My baby Mike needed dental surgery, I found out there was just one gal on duty all night, and not even a tech, just an office gal. I insisted on bringing Mike home, and stayed up with him all night. I kept him in his basket next to me while I did computer work, watched tv, etc, checking on him every 30 min or so, gave him pain meds when they were scheduled, and just kept him close and home, I could always rush him to an Er if he took a turn for the worse, that's better than leaving him alone with just an untrained gal probably just filing her nails!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:48 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,596,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
When I worked at a vet pulling the leftover puppy teeth was a standard question we asked when puppies were getting spayed/neutered. That price sounds a little high, how big/what breed is your dog? For great danes and larger breeds it will be more expensive. Where I worked we always did bloodwork for all pets getting surgery (regardless of age) unless they already had bloodwork done recently. If it were me I would get it to be on the safe side. And I totally understand wanting to stay with your vet. If you get an estimate from the Dr it should be exact, but at our vet if you asked the receptionist, it's more of a ballpark estimate...maybe check to see if the $465 is a worst case senario or an exact price...
I don't doubt it; I just wonder if it is necessary. My dog isn't spayed and had no trouble losing her puppy teeth , and my family has had dogs who were spayed and they never even mentioned anything about having puppy teeth extracted. Is it b/c they won't fall out by themselves w/out the proper hormones or something? I am so curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs