Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

Interesting list, but I'm not sure I agree with it entirely. Our border collies are/were extremely smart, and never at all destructive. But labs at number 7? My IL's have always had labs and they were the dumbest creatures. (the labs, not the IL's-lol) I've known some golden retrievers that were also not the brightest dogs, either. And now we have an English Springer Spaniel, and while she's only 3 1/2 months old, I see no difference in her from our border collies at that age, she seems very smart and has been easy to train. (despite some posters here warning me otherwise )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:25 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Interesting list, but I'm not sure I agree with it entirely. Our border collies are/were extremely smart, and never at all destructive. But labs at number 7? My IL's have always had labs and they were the dumbest creatures. (the labs, not the IL's-lol) I've known some golden retrievers that were also not the brightest dogs, either. And now we have an English Springer Spaniel, and while she's only 3 1/2 months old, I see no difference in her from our border collies at that age, she seems very smart and has been easy to train. (despite some posters here warning me otherwise )

I think the goofy nature of Labs and Goldens makes people think they are not very intelligent but I do believe they are as they are the dogs of choice for Guide dogs and often other service dogs. In those jobs they often have to make decisions that could save or harm their person. My friend has raised guide dog puppies for years and when at home the pups are goofy and you are thinking Oh this one will never make it as he is too goofy or even too stupid yet when they put on the puppy in training jackets they become entirely different dogs and are so well behaved and yes even intelligent and mind you these are puppies not trained guide dogs. They learn very fast that when they have their " work clothes" on they have to work and not be crazy silly pups.

I have a friend with a GSD that is a police dog and when he is home and just a pet he is silly and goofy too but switch his collar to the one he wears on the job and he is a totally different dog, very serious and ready to work. Just the knowing that what they are wearing signals work is a sign of intelligence. But yes Labs and Goldens can be very goofy and silly and that is one of their charms. Also dogs are individuals so while a a breed may be intelligent or not so intelligent there may be individuals that do not live up to that.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM

68 posts, read 200,241 times
This list should carry a disclaimer that the most popular of these breeds are subject to a lot of less-than-selective breeding that produces inferior pups. Breeds become popular in part because of lists like these, then their integrity ends up diminished and a lot of pets don't live up to owners' expectations. There's also a huge difference between intellect, responsiveness, and temperament, which I don't think some potential owners realize. Many of these breeds can be big trouble for an inexperienced owner!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,508 times
I think our pomeranian, Bear, is VERY intelligent. We also have to spell certain words in front of him, as he knows what they mean. Most people think he is too smart for his own good, which at times, I believe! He learned commands etc. very quickly and seems to always be taking in new things. Being a small dog, he isn't at eye level with much besides the floor. We have a difficult time hiding his little tennis balls from him. We have put them in dresser drawers, in baskets, in cupboards and he ALWAYS finds them. I had never seen anything like that with my dogs growing up.

We have a 9 month old daughter and he is wonderful with her. He's gentle, loving and plays nicely with her. Many dogs become jealous when a baby is brought home and he's never been anything but nice. I think that makes for a very smart dog.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I love my little Yorkie, Lucy and I'm not sure where Yorkies rank on the list ~ but she is NOT the brightest bulb in the bunch. My son says, well Mom, her brain is only sooo big! She cannot read Ringo's body language AT ALL and pesters him when everyone in the room can see he's had ENOUGH. Let's not even talk about housetraining AND she spends most of the time on her walk trying to search out goose poop! She's afraid of . . . well, everything; but perhaps that IS smart when you are only 4 lbs.

But she's sooo snuggly and loving; my little shadow everywhere I go. I love her to pieces.

Ringo, my Westie, is much smarter though I'm not sure where he ranks either. He's also much more independent and stubborn. It's his way or nothing. He did great at agility until he started getting so 'iffy' around the bigger dogs.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Yes, this is weird. I love golden retrievers, but all my friends who have them say they're dumber than dirt. But it might be the way they are raised or these particular dogs' breeding, because they seem like very easy dogs to train. And really eager to please.

I don't get why collies are never on this list.

I have had rough (and now I have a smooth, too) collies all my life, and they are DAMN smart dogs, intuitive, and learn english without training. They pick up body language really fast and my dogs even understand the difference between having permission to do things at some times and not being allowed to otherwise (without tacit approval - so they know to ask).
My rough and smooth totally aced the dog IQ test, they've managed to solve puzzles (unfortunately), and they are remarkably NOT naughty dogs. My friends always remark that my older collie (they don't know my puppy as well yet) is the smartest dog they know.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have a friend with a GSD that is a police dog and when he is home and just a pet he is silly and goofy too but switch his collar to the one he wears on the job and he is a totally different dog, very serious and ready to work. Just the knowing that what they are wearing signals work is a sign of intelligence. But yes Labs and Goldens can be very goofy and silly and that is one of their charms. Also dogs are individuals so while a a breed may be intelligent or not so intelligent there may be individuals that do not live up to that.
That's so true. My dogs are so different on leash and off leash. It's like their brain switches gears.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
couldnt get in to read the list but I GOT TO believe that Shar Peis are near the very bottom if not below the bottom

Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 PM

51 posts, read 77,648 times
Border Collies's IQ equivalent to 6 years of age

Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothea01 View Post
Border Collies's IQ equivalent to 6 years of age
That's amazing. When I was six, I was in the second grade and reading full-length novels...how do dogs do that without the slobber making the pages stick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs