Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times

Advertisements

Warning: You have terriers which sometimes don't do well with other dogs.
When I got my second dachshund, I had a spayed female of around 2 years old. We got her a friend - an 8 year old rescue dachsie - another spayed female who had already had one litter. This dog had been living with an unspayed male dachshund, so she was used to not being the dominant one. Which worked out, when we introduced her to our existing 2 year old dog, she immediately took the role of the submissive dog since she was used to that role. So the 2 year old's reign over the house was barely disrupted.
They got along famously. The rescue dachsie never showed any signs of even wanting to be the dominant dog.
Perhaps you could get a second dog like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 02:08 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
Before I decided to seriously take Lady(pit bull) into my home I had plenty saying that a pit bull and another breed dog will not get along...then I was told that two females will just fight constantly...

In my case, I'm happy to say that all the nay-sayers were, well.....wrong.
I have a 14 yr old border collie that has been a part of my family since she was 4 weeks old...

When I introduced Lady to Abby it took a little time and patience but in the end it all worked out.

I will say that Abby-(border collie), is very protective of her food and toys and she let Lady-(pit bull), know from day one...this is my space, my food bowl, my toys...they had one tiny rumble...no blood... which Abby, initiated. I am sure it had to do with a territorial issue. And Abby is older and crankier...

Till this day when it comes time to feed, I put both in their own room and there is no problem and toy time is always supervised.
Lady is obviously more powerful being a pit bull so I keep them both on leashes when I have them outside playing.
Lady being young still she is a bit rambunctious and Abby sometimes just wants to be left alone...and I respect that and I've trained Lady to relax when they are playing together outside. She was a fast learner.

Good luck if you get a new friend for Dakota!

Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Brain did you not ask on another thread...what kind of dog is this? why not keep that dog?

Old 06-30-2007, 05:43 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Jason did an excellent job of explaining how to introduce - I haven't read a much better explanation in a long time.

I have 7 dogs. Have we had scuffles over authority? Yes - the most important thing is to set yourself up as leader of the pack and NEVER surrender that for a second. You should be the one they love and fear most, and that doesn't mean beating your dog - I have a She Devil voice that everyone runs from! It's taken me about 3 years to work out the various personalities in this gang, and I recently introduced a one year old blind Rottweiler to the pack. He was introduced slowly, across a fence as Jason has mentioned, and then crated and then baby-gated in the small office until everyone got used to the idea, THEN we did one-on-one meet and greets. Everything has gone well, no issues, and we've had him since last October.

Most people will say do opposite sex pairings, but please remember - males will fight for dominance, but females will fight to the death for dominance in some breeds. A ***** fight is not a pretty sight. Women....what ya gonna do???

P.S. Sorry for the edit - forgot that even on the pet forum the proper breeding term can't be used! a B---- fight - that's what I was trying to say! At any rate, you're usually safer with an opposite sex pairing, but rules were made to be broken.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-30-2007 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: I've been censored!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
I didnt ask on another thread. Hes a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Gardener, dog agression isnt an issue with my Staffy. He plays with a HUGE Great Pyrenese and various other dogs too. Its just in the house ive never had two dogs.
Dakota and Tacoma (they play all the time)

Thanks for the advice. I had two dogs at once, both male, both outdoors but both had 16 acres to run on so there was no issues except when I introduced them. Still undecided though ....

Old 07-25-2007, 09:46 AM
kgh

1 posts, read 4,211 times
Default running with 2 dogs

I was wondering if anybody uses a product to run with 2 dogs. I have a Siberian that we rescued over a year ago. We run at least 3 miles everyday and up to 10 if its cool. I am taking in another rescue dog, same breed and hope to eventually run them together. We run in a quiet subdivision and I only run during daylight with the dogs, so safety isn't a big issue. I've seen some products but not sure which one to purchase. Thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 11:00 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,806 times
Portia was 3 years old ( GSP ), when we adopted Hef ( one year old Bull Boxer mix ). Portia got used to being the main ( the only ) "baby" in the house, and she got used to all the love ( just for her ) etc. But after 20 minutes, they started playing like they were always together!!!So, now, they get along perfectly!!!Nothing changed in Portia's personality since we brought Hef. If anything, now, she is protective of him as well. And, as everybody else already said, set yourself up as a leader of the pack.

Good luck!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
As yous know I have a Staff and have been contemplating getting a female (not for breeding) Staff for him to play with. What should I expect extra with another dog ? Has anyone ever noticed personality changes when they introduced another dog to the pack? reason I ask is Dakota is perfect right now and wouldnt want to do anything to throw him off.
Well it seems that here (and I have 8 right now with my fosters) that it totally depends on the dogs personality to begin with. My lab (she's 10) doesn't care how many dogs I bring in as long as she gets everything first (first pet when I walk in the door, her food put down first, first to go out in the morning) I think it makes her secure in the knowledge that she is alpha still. I've had fosters here for a few months that were great until I added another dog...they tend to try to take dominance over the las dog in. Others don't care at all. So if you are truly unsure I would foster to adopt until you find the correct match for your dog, that way you can get the right addtion to your family and save a dog at the same time.

P.S. - What ever happened to that little black dog you found?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:32 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Brain did you not ask on another thread...what kind of dog is this? why not keep that dog?
Yeah I did. I dont like tiny little yappy dogs. My kids and me and my Staff love to play, this yapped all the time and it wouldnt be fair to keep it in such an environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom
P.S. - What ever happened to that little black dog you found?
The owner never turned up, which is a shame I did everything possible to track the down. But a little old lady did come get her, so its a good ending.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The owner never turned up, which is a shame I did everything possible to track the down. But a little old lady did come get her, so its a good ending.
Oh good I like happy endings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs