U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 AM

1,854 posts, read 1,951,521 times

Advertisements

Opinions?

If you have a pom, what do you use?

We had two poms. One has passed away now. The one who passed away had a hearty little stomach and she could eat anything. The other one, who is still alive, has a sensitive little stomach. We had to switch foods a few times to accommodate her. And of course the other dog had to switch too, because they ate out of the same bowl. (We tried giving them seperate bowls, didn't work.)

Pedigree had a sensitive stomach formula, with a yogurt coating, which we liked, but either they stopped selling it altogether or just stopped carrying it in stores around here, so we had to switch to Purina One.

We now use Purina One on the surviving dog with the sensitive stomach and have been using that for a long time.

(I loved when we had both dogs on Beneful for a while. Those little stinkers would pick out the meat and leave the vegetables.
Only our dogs... lol)
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM

68 posts, read 95,179 times
Get your vet to prescribe Hill's W/D prescription formula canned food. My vet at Cornell University put my papillon on it when she had recurring urinary and digestive toubles ( at around 8 years of age), and she's been much healthier since. Pons and paps have a lot in common.

Hill's prescription diets aren't cheap, but they're often cheaper by the case, and it's worth the $$ for the benefit of having a much happier dog. The vet said he put his mother's pomeranian puppy on it from the start to see if it helps avoid the development of common problems later. He seems to think it will.

I hope whatever you end up with does the trick.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM

14,431 posts, read 10,300,108 times
I'd get her off of the grocery brands and switch to something a bit higher quality. I'm partial to the Nutro brand, and their Lamb & Rice formula is very digestible. You'll also notice that you don't have to feed her as much, and her stools will be smaller and tighter.

Whatever you end up using, good luck. Sick doggies are no fun.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Purina One seems to be great for her. We have no intention of switching from that.

I was just wondering what other people use.
I guess I'm asking for when I have future pomeranians. (I don't really plan to stray from this breed, I love it.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,687,574 times
purina one ingredients:

Lamb (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E)

dont feed ur dog this crap. anything that says "by product" includes things like chicken beaks and cow hooves and other garbage

try this:

compare dog food brands here:

Blue Buffalo - Compare Dog Food with our Dog Food Comparison Test

Old 09-04-2010, 02:10 AM

I have to laugh now at my last post. "When I have future pomeranians" sounds like I give birth to them.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,707,674 times
I agree with all of the above... those "grocery brands" are filled with crap, and not good for any dog with stomach issues. Blue Buffalo, as mentioned above, is great stuff - but rather pricey. Royal Canin is another good food, and they even have special products for small dogs & sensitive stomachs. Royal Canin Products

As for myself, I have a larger (40lb mutt) dog who's not really sensitive but very picky... so I give him what he'll eat! His favorite wet food is Beneful, and for kibble I get Blue Buffalo or Wellness. Royal Canin seems better for the small dogs, but I do occasionally buy their dry for my cats.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 AM

71 posts, read 89,565 times
Hi, we have always used Iams Small and Toy dog food and so far so good.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,730,212 times
I feed my pup Wellness brand only

Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
My aunt always made a special food for her dogs, rice and hambuger with carrots. Here is a recipe.
Recipe: Marty and Carlo's Canine Special :: Jim Dixon :: Culinate

They lived to be about 16 years old, so it was probably pretty healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs