U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,782,567 times
Default Dog Emergency-Can I Give Valium After Tramadol?

I hope you can help as I'm in a bind seeing these things always happen to me on a weekend or holiday. My dog has had previous back problems, she had major surgery a few years ago but she's been doing great ever since. However tonite something is up. She is crying out in pain and I'm frantic. I gave her half a tab of Tramadol which I had left over for her but it hasn't helped. Can I give her half a 5mg Valium to quiet her? Is it safe to give her the Valium after the Tramadol? Both pills were originally for her, I just don't want to hurt her. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM

18 posts, read 16,226 times
Can you give her the other half of the Tramadol or get her to an e-clinic?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:38 PM

7,657 posts, read 8,675,808 times
what mg is the valium and how much does your girl weigh??

actually.... valium is an anti-anxiety medication .... tramadol is a non-narcotic pain killer..... the valium might help if she was having muscle spasms in her back.... but hard to know without a vet exam......

Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,014,129 times
I hope you can get your dog to an emergency vet clinic tonight so she doesn't have to suffer until Tues. am for a regular vet.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. I ended up calling a Walgreens pharmacist who told me there would be no drug interaction so I gave her the 5mg tab. I did it to help her relax and rest. I'm just worried sick as I love this dog so very much, I would do anything to alieviate her pain. It's so frustrating too because I don't know what's causing the pain, I assumed it was the back but she isn't crying when you touch her spine like she did before. She's not limping, stiff, or paralyzed, all which happened before the surgical intervention 4 yrs ago. She's eating, drinking, and going potty so I don't think it's her tummy. I just don't know why EVERY time my pets get sick/hurt it has to be during the weekend or a holiday. I really can't afford an emergency vet right now. Her surgery cost me over $5,000. Please keep us in your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:55 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,014,129 times
Glad she is relaxed and resting. Dogs, like kids, never get sick when it is convenient. At least you are home with her to care and watch over her.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
I work at a pharmacy as a tech and I'm not qualified to give you an opinion but I was going to say it was going to be ok to give those tablets together. I'm very glad the pharmacist confirmed that and I'm glad to say that the pharmacist listened to your question because sometimes I know they aren't as helpful when it comes to giving meds to dogs

Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,457,166 times
Your dog is in my thoughts. Hoping for the pain to ease and that it's something relatively minor. Best wishes for you both.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 AM

3,387 posts, read 7,865,140 times
My uncle is a pharmacist. I do not believe they are trained in animal responses to drugs. At least valium and tramadol are prescribed separately for dogs but they have no way of evaluating the safety of drug interactions in dogs. Even in humans it is dicey because an interaction that does not occur in a young healhty male (often the test population for new drugs) may occur in an elderly person.

Dogs are even more different than humans! Tylenol is lethal to dogs but not people. MY 50 lb dog can take 3 benedryl and not loose steam wheras 2 will knock me out for 12 hours etc.

Hopefully all is well, but in the future........I would be calling the ER vet

Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My uncle is a pharmacist. I do not believe they are trained in animal responses to drugs. At least valium and tramadol are prescribed separately for dogs but they have no way of evaluating the safety of drug interactions in dogs. Even in humans it is dicey because an interaction that does not occur in a young healhty male (often the test population for new drugs) may occur in an elderly person.

Dogs are even more different than humans! Tylenol is lethal to dogs but not people. MY 50 lb dog can take 3 benedryl and not loose steam wheras 2 will knock me out for 12 hours etc.

Hopefully all is well, but in the future........I would be calling the ER vet
Thank you all so much, my baby girl is doing much better. I would have immediately called the emerg. vet but the ones around here absolutely refuse to give any info/advice over the phone. I got lucky because my vet(I have his cell #) called me back and we talked for 45 min. and he called in some Prednisone for her. We think it was muscle spasms. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs