Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Nothing was going on. We were watching TV or on the computer. We weren't directly engaging him. We reacted with a loud "Oliver, no" and immediately took him outside.
Mine is about the same age and was doing that up until a few days ago - just random squat and pee!

I hope I'm not jinxing anything, but she stopped. It's just staying the course I guess and there will be accidents.

I have carpet, so her area is a sea of piddle pads.

I don't train her to go on them, it's just so I don't have to clean accidents.

However, I do wish there was a way to train to use in an emergency

The only time I don't trust her now is at night.

Before, she has whined to wake me, but if I'm not fast enough, she went on a pad.

So I reluctantly put her in the crate at night now.

She does not cry or whine about it, but I miss her sleeping with me .

I will try that again in about a week, when she has had practice waiting for me after waking me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 AM

Ah! From that link: The nervous system in a puppy has to mature, and it won’t have much control over the sphincter (closing muscle) at the neck of the bladder until six or seven months. The same goes for the anal sphincter. Until control is achieved, both of these muscles operate on reflex: there are stretch receptors in the bladder wall. When the bladder is full, it sends impulses to the spinal cord and these, in turn, send signals to the sphincter to open and the dog pees.

Good advice in that post. Surprised at not even saying 'NO!' when they go inside. I think my puppy is not learning peeing is bad when I do that - I think she knows the NO is regarding inside, since I take her out and praise for going there, but I don't like scolding so I hope the poster is right.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Ah! From that link: The nervous system in a puppy has to mature, and it won’t have much control over the sphincter (closing muscle) at the neck of the bladder until six or seven months. The same goes for the anal sphincter. Until control is achieved, both of these muscles operate on reflex: there are stretch receptors in the bladder wall. When the bladder is full, it sends impulses to the spinal cord and these, in turn, send signals to the sphincter to open and the dog pees.

Good advice in that post. Surprised at not even saying 'NO!' when they go inside. I think my puppy is not learning peeing is bad when I do that - I think she knows the NO is regarding inside, since I take her out and praise for going there, but I don't like scolding so I hope the poster is right.
I buy that, but then how does my 11 week puppy have time to whine and cry to alert us to take her outside?

If it is a reflex, she should not notice or have time to alert. SHe also should not be able to pee on command, which she does.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I buy that, but then how does my 11 week puppy have time to whine and cry to alert us to take her outside?

If it is a reflex, she should not notice or have time to alert. SHe also should not be able to pee on command, which she does.
Because likely your dog had a good start. Like this breeder does starting from 3 1/2 weeks once the mother dog is finished her part.

Puppies at 3 to 3½ weeks - Time to start potty training

Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Because likely your dog had a good start. Like this breeder does starting from 3 1/2 weeks once the mother dog is finished her part.

Puppies at 3 to 3½ weeks - Time to start potty training
Oh, that's cool.

Still kind of refutes the theory of a 'reflex,' which by definition bypasses the brain and means you have zero control of it happening.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Consistency and patience. Your doing the right thing.

My pup is going through the same thing. Some there have been a few days in which he's surprised me by holding it the entire night, but most of the time I can expect something ( mostly urine) in the morning.
Are you getting up in the night to let him go?

Mine wakes me up when she has to go, and I get up and take her.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

It said not MUCH control, not NO control.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 912 times
here it's my problem. my dog needs to learn to go on command. My Bichon, Ruffie, likes to go for a walk before he goes potty. He always waits until the last minute to do his business. I didn't have a problem until I had to leave him with friends and they let their dogs on the yard for a few minutes so they go potty. Well, he doesn't understand to go potty on command and potty in the house because that was not his routine. I tried to crate trained him. Took him out every two hrs and would give him a treat when he went potty. I realized he doesn't care for a treat because I cook for them steak, chicken, fish, or turkey. He is 2 so he is used to that food. I tried tapping his nose when he poops in the apartment. I stopped his walks to break that habit yet it didn't work. Now he poops in the apartment. What would you recommend for a dog who is used to good food? I've been trying to train him for 2 months and I'm exhausted. Unfortunately, I have to leave again in a month so i'm running out of time to teach him to go on command. My other dog doesn't have any problem. Please advise

Old 03-15-2015, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,632 times
Unhappy Potty training my dog while at work

Hello Viralmd! I searched for you, as all over the WEB readers mention your great advice.

Now that I found you I will definitely follow your advice with fingers crossed ,so that I can finally have a happy potty trained Pomeranian.

My question is: What happens with my consistent training when I have to go to work ,and I leave him in an area of the house for eight hours? Will the training be forgotten? Is it possible to resume training when I get home without affecting the training I started? PLEASE PLEASE advise!!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,632 times
Default Viralmd tips for potty training pup

What happens to all the training when I go to work in the morning and not there with my puppy to continue training? At five months old, can I feed him only once per day to avoid more frequent accidents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs