U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:22 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,245,059 times

Advertisements

Treading lightly here.. I feel a little panicky outside of my usual cat forum!

But I wanted to spread the good news!! Everyone, meet Cornelia. (a.k.a. Corn-dog)

I found her when I was doing a walk-through of the PG County Animal Shelter. I was originally in there looking for an elderly beagle named Pumpkin to possibly farm out to one of the rescues, but fate had other plans for everyone that day. All of the dogs were wagging and jumping and saying hi in their own way as we walked the aisles. I walked right by this new beagle and noticed she didn't even look up or make eye contact with me. I stopped, paused, turned around and squatted down in front of her bars to say hi, and the saddest doggy eyes looked up at me with absolutely no hope in them at all. Now, being an avid animal lover, it's not hard for me to find a reason to fall in love with a fuzz-butt in need, and I usually can't spend too long wandering through a shelter without coming out horribly depressed and a complete basket-case, but out of nowhere, the tears just started to pour over this little beagle. Her information sheet told me she was 10 years old, spayed, surrendered by her owner, and had been there living on borrowed time, if you catch my drift. I spent the next half hour in the "visiting room" with her tucked between my legs while I sat there kissing her head.

It'll be a few days before we hear back on whether the application went through without any hiccups, but for all intents and purposes... I'm bracing myself for the first dog I've had since losing my last to renal failure at an advanced age. (a little over 2 years ago), back before we even HAD a rainbow bridge forum!

Up until I began working with an animal rescue based out of VA, I had more or less subdued myself to being a cat-only person again. So bringing in this doggy to a house with 4 kitties is going to be a challenge that I plan on throwing myself full-force into. I have no idea what kind of past this beagle is coming with, but it's not asking a lot, when all they're asking at that age is to have a comforting hand and a warm bed to finish out the last of their years.

Any tips? The cats have free roam of the house, and so will she, and I'm hoping that by taking in a senior, her energy level will be a little bit more acceptable to the cats already, hehe. I don't expect them to love each other right away, but this is a commitment that I will see through to the end.

I can't wait. I get to buy another dog bowl, and water bowl.. and food! And chew toys, and a little collar with a bow on it for her, and give her the world's most luxurious bath first, lol. Oh it's been so long. She looked so destroyed when the assistant led her back to her cage and shut the door when I had to leave. I wish there was a way to let her know it would all be over soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as I get the word to go back there and scoop her up and bring her home!!
Attached Thumbnails
A new addition to the family-corndog.jpg  

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 09-11-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 PM

16,703 posts, read 26,804,169 times
I've got no tips beyond this: let the love flow!

Cornelia (I need to call her Corny, I can't help myself) is BEAUTIFUL!!!! That look in her eye -- mellltttiiinnnnggggg.

Enjoy each other lots!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,433,545 times
She's beautiful. Congratulations on finding her.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,465,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
I have no idea what kind of past this beagle is coming with, but it's not asking a lot, when all they're asking at that age is to have a comforting hand and a warm bed to finish out the last of their years.
You absolutely made me cry with what you wrote. Cornelia is a beautiful little girl. All the beagles I have known have the best personalities. As with any dog I would just watch her with your cats for awhile, like if your cats run will she chase them, give your cats some place to escape from her. I wish you the best of luck, and can't wait to read that you brought her home, and some more pics of course. You sure are an angel!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,492,948 times
Aww...look at her...who could resist those sweet eyes? Congratulations on Corny! Hope you have loads of wonderful years together. Sorry, I don't have any experience with adding a dog to an all kitty household.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:16 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,245,059 times
lol @ Corny. The name the shelter gave her was "Lexi", but it really didn't seem to fit right when I tried it on. I was thinking with Cornelia that I'd shorten it after time to either Nelly, or Corn-dog. Sometimes time can only tell! (I'm having flashbacks to when I named the last kitty rescue that came in "Cinders" officially... fast forward to today where she only answers to "jingle-butt" though.) So fingers crossed... I'll let you guys know as soon as I know when I can take her home!

I remember having the talk with my mom on the way up there. We were discussing the pros and cons to bring in a senior dog, and the one keep thought that kept hitting home was, ...even if she only lasts another 3 years, or 3 months, whatnot, they will be the absolutely best 3 months that we can possibly give her until then!

I'm going to stop up there on Monday when they open the kennel for visiting hours again to go spend some more time with her. Hopefully they might have an answer by then, anyways.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,609,418 times
I'm crossing my fingers for you re: the application; they'd be crazy not to let you adopt her!!!

I cannot wait to hear all of the stories (and pics) you will have of Cornelia and the gang Sending positive and happy thoughts for a blessed new arrival to your loving home ((HUGS)) She's adorable and will make a lovely addition to the troupe!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:42 PM

19,832 posts, read 56,098,276 times
I use a child's gate to keep my dogs out of my bedroom so the cats can have their sanctuary.I don't mind cats on my bed but the dogs are too dirty.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 AM

476 posts, read 1,092,263 times
Senior female beagles are the best! I adopted an 11 year old beagle a few years ago. That dog was an angel on earth, truly. It was the best thing I ever did. We loved her and she loved us. It didn't matter how long she was with us. She had a great life with us for a few years until she went on to the bridge. Our second beagle we adopted at about 5 years old. She's 10 now, and we love her dearly. She is so sweet. I wouldn't worry about the cats. She's probably pretty mellow. Give her time to adjust to your routine and rules. Both my beagles took about 6 months.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,865,310 times
another shining example of "they pick you"

what a purdy girl..... and how lucky you and she are to have found each other.....

looking forward to coming home day and all of the pictures that follow......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs