U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,723,815 times

Advertisements

I accidently posted this thread in the general pet forum. I thought I was in the DOG forum when I posted it.

For many years, I've held off getting a fence becasue I wanted one that was attractive.

Now I don't care what it looks like. I just want a cheap fence! And I want it now!

I'm tired of the neighbor's dog coming into my yard. It always has fleas. I've gave them one of my extra flea medications once this summer. Now the dog has fleas again. I just want it to keep it's fleas in its own yard.

I'd also love to let my beagle basset run around the yard without a leash.

The lab is too old to try to get over or out of a fence.. He won't try to get out. Plus, he's afraid of the neighbor's dog because it's a puppy that jumps around too much and has knocked him down trying to play.

The beagle basset would try to dig his way out, but I don't plan on leaving him outside unattended.

It doesn't need to be a strong fence. I just need a deterant fence.

The back area of the property needs a 6' fence because there is a 3' retaining wall. The fence needs to be 6' so it's 3' high for dogs outside of the property line. That way other animals won't be able to still jump into our yard.

The other side of the property can be 3' or 4' high.

I was thinking about something like this: Deer Netting – Benners Gardens Deer Netting But it says that the posts are weak.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 5,135,590 times
You might want to post your question in the house forum. Lots of handy and knowledgeable people there.

I like those vinyl fences, but I don't know what they cost.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:57 AM

4,552 posts, read 6,311,914 times
My suggestion would be to go to a fence store and a farm equipment store and also look online.

I had a similar delima and got 4' chicken wire and put it up with just T-posts, I've had it up for 2 years now and is still going strong, I've had several large limbs fall on it and it was easy to repair. Chicken wire comes in all heights and sizes and now even colors, it's easy to install and lasts.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 AM

7,781 posts, read 9,140,476 times
i put up wire fencing around my yard..... its a little heavier than chicken wire.... in a rectangle shape..... my house mate and i put it up ourselves in one morning and it was not very expensive..... certainly nothing like a standard chainlink or wood or vinyl fence..... has done a fine job keeping my dogs in the yard..... anchored the bottom of each section to ground with tent stakes..... and as a poster above said, VERY easy to repair or replace sections if they become damaged or loose..... i too have had a tree fall on a section of mine.... had that section replaced in less than an hour.....

Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 AM

13,569 posts, read 23,130,984 times
My DD put up a fence using chicken wire and the 't' post for their German Sheppards (6 of them) 5 years ago and it works great for them. My SIL and a friend put it up in a couple of hours.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 09-19-2010, 03:38 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,072,568 times
Impossible to answer without knowing more. Out in rural areas one might be able to use snow fence, chickenwire and such. However, within the city limits there are likely code requirements for fencing. If you are rural I'd suggest something more sturdy like hog or woven wire fencing with 5' steel posts.

A fence is not going to keep your dog from getting fleas. You'll need to continue to treat your dogs and your yard since you know that the neighbor's dog has them.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 PM

399 posts, read 1,174,698 times
I had an acre and put up 'horse' looking fencing: 4X4 posts vertically, 2X4 boards horizontally, and the 'rectangular' shaped 'wire' fencing behind the wood stapled in and leading to underneath the earth (for the cute digger in the fam). We built the gates to the fence, but I think that you can buy them as well. It looked very, very nice and the wire was actually unnoticeable from the street, but kept them from going between the horizontal boards. Super inexpensive for an acre, can't imagine what it would be for a smaller yard. We also had bamboo that had already been planted in areas around the outside of the yard, the wire fencing weaved very well through that and it actually looked very serene/ranch-like. We loved it. Now onto another house with the ugly regular ole wire fencing made by a company

Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,078,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
My suggestion would be to go to a fence store and a farm equipment store and also look online.

I had a similar delima and got 4' chicken wire and put it up with just T-posts, I've had it up for 2 years now and is still going strong, I've had several large limbs fall on it and it was easy to repair. Chicken wire comes in all heights and sizes and now even colors, it's easy to install and lasts.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Yep, that was gona be my suggestion, one side of my yard has this fence, lasted for twenty years or better.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 PM

1,332 posts, read 3,388,222 times
Default Recycling

You might want to call a fence company! These guys install new vinyl fences for people, but they also have to remove the old wooden ones. And they dispose of them because some of the boards aren't perfect.

If you tell them you don't care about the style of fence matching, maybe they'd save some panels for you. I've gotten about 80' of 6' wooden fence this way...free!

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs