U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 PM

222 posts, read 699,440 times

Advertisements

So my 6 month old puppy has now aquired a horrible, annoying habit. He will bark, jump and wine at the same time scratching at the bed so we pick him up. He will no joke sometimes do this for 10 minutes at a time until it becomes unbearble. I will not make any eye contact and just ignore him most of the time, but sometimes it gets so annoying I just pick him up and put him in the bed, even though I want him on the floor. He will even move to both sides of the bed and do it, wether or not my husband is in bed with me. Also, we no longer lock the crate for him to sleep in at night. He has been able to hold it all night for a while now and he will either sleep on his bed or walk into his crate. Around 4-5 am though, which is way earlier than we get up, he will start the jumping and wining and wake us up to get into the bed. I have my LL upstairs so can't have him barking and waking them up, so we end up picking him up. I really would like to brake this annoying habit. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 04:04 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,214,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
So my 6 month old puppy has now aquired a horrible, annoying habit. He will bark, jump and wine at the same time scratching at the bed so we pick him up. He will no joke sometimes do this for 10 minutes at a time until it becomes unbearble. I will not make any eye contact and just ignore him most of the time, but sometimes it gets so annoying I just pick him up and put him in the bed, even though I want him on the floor. He will even move to both sides of the bed and do it, wether or not my husband is in bed with me. Also, we no longer lock the crate for him to sleep in at night. He has been able to hold it all night for a while now and he will either sleep on his bed or walk into his crate. Around 4-5 am though, which is way earlier than we get up, he will start the jumping and wining and wake us up to get into the bed. I have my LL upstairs so can't have him barking and waking them up, so we end up picking him up. I really would like to brake this annoying habit. Any suggestions?
Well, it would appear your puppy is training you rather than you training our puppy. They can be quite manipultive that way.

I'd suggest playing with him hard before bedtime to wear him out. Put him to bed in his crate (door closed) at least 15 min before you are ready to go to bed. Make this a rountine so he knows what to expect.

Then, after he has settled down, go to bed. It may take until he is a bit older to make it much more than 6 hrs through the night without waking and being ready to go. I'm facing this right now with my 3 month old pup. He wakes up at 5:30 every morning, goes out, and wants to be fed. After he has a fully tummy he is happy enough to go back to sleep.

Puppies need routine. Stick with it and I suspect you will have broken the bad habit he has been allowed to develop. Remember, he is at the age of a human "toddler" right now. Patience.......

Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,845,700 times
Yup, someone's got you trained up real good

Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 AM

293 posts, read 888,560 times
Puppies love to be with owners. Dogs are social animals. I have never kept dogs away, my little dog sleeps with me, is with me all day.

I agree with Lifelong, if you want the dog to sleep alone, exercise him and let him to the bathroom and then put him to bed. This will all get better for sure.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM

970 posts, read 1,830,910 times
If you want to get him to stop whining, IGNORE him. Every time you give in you reinforce the idea that whining = attention, and he will keep doing it. Try using the crate again to establish a safe, comfortable place for your dog to sleep. If you are not willing to ignore him then prepare to sleep with your dog. Some people do it, but my bed is not big enough for 2 people and 2 60lb dogs!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,693,424 times
Stop it now by picking him up he thinks cool get my way. Tell em no, if keeps it up kennel locked up until time to go out potty.

I sold a pup which is a bit different, pup has 8 pm bedtime he goes to room gets in kennel and then barks and whines until his mommy comes in even if dad in room he will not go to sleep until she is in there. I think it is funny but tried telling her she started it by going to room laying in bed until he fell asleep. He has a routine she started and he was comfortable with and she thought he was doing good so went to bed on her schedule he disliked it and telling her so.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,199,969 times
Find a decent blanket and hold onto it for awhile to get your scent there.
You can also place a non-alarm clock, just to hear it ticking and put it in the same room [not so that the dog can get to it]. Either and/or both of those ideas may help the lil one settle down some. The ticking from the clock somewhat resembles the heartbeat of Mom and also gets them to thinking they're not alone in the room anymore.

There's also a pheromone spray [available at pet stores] that supposed to calm them. I've used it in the room when there's a major thunderstorm brewing that one of my dogs gets a bit nervous and it seems to help her some.

Hope that helps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or