Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,916 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and one of our neighbors has a Sheltie who is allowed to run free through the neighborhood. He has pooped in our side yard 4 times, and I think he has even peed on our house (hopefully dog pee doesn't hurt stucco). It's a fairly upscale neighborhood, and the neighbor doesn't seem to be hurting for money, so I don't know why they don't buy some type of containment system.

I already pick up after 2 dogs. If I wanted to pick up the poop of 3, I would get another. Our dogs stay in the backyard, and DH and I shouldn't have to watch for "landmines" in our side and front yard. I will be going to a neighborhood party this weekend, and I am not sure how to broach the poop subject. I get mad just thinking about it.

Any advice on what to say to let the owners know it's unacceptable? If they let it continue, I will probably pick it up, and leave it on their porch. Satisfying, but probably not the best thing to do in my first month here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
The CDC has information of the public health hazard of pet feces. Find it and leave it on their door. Find out what local laws say about dogs pooping on other property. It may be under sanitation or litter laws. Print that out and tape it to their door.

If they don't take care of it, pick it up and leave it on their door step, or on the driveway where they might run over it. Just make sure it is their dog's poop.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Are you positive it is their dog? If yes, I'd record it, in action, then email them the evidence and tell them to be careful when they step out the front door, as you returned what's rightfully theirs.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
As obnoxious as it is, I wouldn't do anything that will make interaction tense with your neighbors. Make sure you know it's theirs; are you actually seeing their dog poop and walk away? Maybe approach them in a joking way, like say something like "hey, your dog left quite a few presents in my yard for you, ya wanna come get them?" Try friendliness first, especially since you're new to the neighborhood. If that doesn't work then tell them, still politely that if they keep letting their dog roam without picking up after him you'll have to call animal control.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
get a stray dog trap from AC and let them figure out the dog was picked up .. I wouldnt even warn them .. even nice neighborhoods have stupid neighbors.. And they know they just dont care .. or they figure your dogs poop so whats one one you might not even notice !..

Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Get a couple of these Scarecrow, Motion Activated Sprinkler, Motion Sensor, Scarecrow Scares, Scare Device,Animal Repellent, scarecrow Shop around, you can get them for less $$$. They work. Someone down our street has a couple. My dog stepped into their yard one day as we were yeilding the sidewalk to a person in a wheelchair. The thing went off. My dog now will cross the street when we get anywhere near that house.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 AM

119 posts, read 467,850 times
I wouldnt alienate my neighbors over something so minor. Like the other poster said I would make a joke about it like I have to buy a bigger pooper scooper with your dog contributions, they will probably get the hint and you wont come off looking bad. I guess I live in a rural area where being neighborly is more important than if a dog poo's in my yard. I dont agree with a dog running loose and causing mischeif though and if that was the case I would politely bring that up to the neighbor righ away.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
Aside from the fact that the poop is annoying it's also incredibly unsafe for the dog to be roaming the neighborhood. It might get their attention to tell them you saw their dog close to the road and were afraid he was going to get hit.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Get a couple of these Scarecrow, Motion Activated Sprinkler, Motion Sensor, Scarecrow Scares, Scare Device,Animal Repellent, scarecrow Shop around, you can get them for less $$$. They work. Someone down our street has a couple. My dog stepped into their yard one day as we were yeilding the sidewalk to a person in a wheelchair. The thing went off. My dog now will cross the street when we get anywhere near that house.
What about the mail carrier, and meter reader?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
What about the mail carrier, and meter reader?
As if the mailman doesn't have enough hazards on his daily route, let's add a sprinkler to that list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs