U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 PM
 
Location: galaxy far far away
3,111 posts, read 4,556,623 times
Reputation: 7205

Advertisements

Have you seen this about puppy mills in Missouri? Is anyone from Missouri who can chime in on this? Puppy mills are despicable no matter where they are, and I cringe when I read about their treatment of our sweet angels in fur coats. For a time we had dognapping going on here in Phoenix. They would steal intact females and breed them till they dropped from exhaustion, then toss them out the window like trash when they couldn't get them to breed anymore. I just don't understand how people like that can sleep at night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,355 posts, read 16,833,447 times
Reputation: 11463
I am in Missouri and yes, this state is OVER RUN with mills and backyard breeders......

am hoping like crazy that the puppy mill cruelty bill is passed.... not that there will be the necessary manpower to really enforce it .... particularly with the ginormous budget shortfalls the state is facing..... but it is a step in the right direction and if the laws are on the books, when something is busted, there will be a little more ammo to fire at it......

there is pretty strong opposition to the bill ... natch .... particularly from the more rural areas..... and some of the stuff they are disseminating has just enough truth in it to divert attention from the real issue.... the welfare of these poor creatures that are being whored out to make the owners a few more bucks......

here is a thread about it from the missouri forum:

Out Of State Influence On Dog Breeders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM
 
Location: California
423 posts, read 1,330,692 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
For a time we had dognapping going on here in Phoenix. They would steal intact females and breed them till they dropped from exhaustion, then toss them out the window like trash when they couldn't get them to breed anymore. I just don't understand how people like that can sleep at night...
Really? Do you have any proof of this? Sounds very urban-legendy to me.

Regarding "puppy mills" what exactly defines a "puppy mill?" I hear this word thrown about so much, but few specifics.

AFAIK, there are already plenty of laws against animal cruelty in MO, and the commercial kennels there are pretty proactive about policing their own...but that's all I really know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,355 posts, read 16,833,447 times
Reputation: 11463
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Really? Do you have any proof of this? Sounds very urban-legendy to me.

Regarding "puppy mills" what exactly defines a "puppy mill?" I hear this word thrown about so much, but few specifics.

AFAIK, there are already plenty of laws against animal cruelty in MO, and the commercial kennels there are pretty proactive about policing their own...but that's all I really know about it.
REALLY?? and how do you know this?? commercial kennels are ONLY interested in making as much as they possibly can off of each of their breeders..... health and welfare of said breeder is not even a consideration...... i have posted pictures in this forum of mill and byb dogs that i have transported..... they are by FAR the most heartbreaking of all of my passengers..... dirty, smelly, matted, terrified of people to the point of being shut down, terrible teeth, paws messed up, one girl was BLIND and was still bred..... one girl was "retired" and shuffled off while she still had milk..... i could go on.....

policing their own?? only as far as it might eliminate competition.....

i suggest you google missouri puppy mill or just puppy mill ..... but be warned, some things can not be unseen once seen.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,300 posts, read 3,088,887 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Really? Do you have any proof of this? Sounds very urban-legendy to me.

Regarding "puppy mills" what exactly defines a "puppy mill?" I hear this word thrown about so much, but few specifics.

AFAIK, there are already plenty of laws against animal cruelty in MO, and the commercial kennels there are pretty proactive about policing their own...but that's all I really know about it.
Perhaps you should read the link the OP posted. Read...then respond. This is from the article posted:

"-Dogs at puppy mills typically receive little to no medical care, live in squalid conditions with no exercise, socialization or human interaction and are confined inside cramped wire cages for life.
-Breeding dogs at puppy mills must endure constant breeding cycles and are typically confined for years on end, without ever becoming part of a family.
-Dogs from puppy mills are sold in pet stores, online and directly to consumers with little to no regard for the animal's health, genetic history or future welfare. Consumers should never buy a puppy from a pet store or Internet site; instead, go to your local animal shelter or visit a breeder's facility in person.
-Fifteen states have passed laws over the past three years to crack down on abusive puppy mills"

This is a puppy mill, sound nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,853,905 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Regarding "puppy mills" what exactly defines a "puppy mill?" I hear this word thrown about so much, but few specifics.
A Puppy Mill is a breeder operation that mass produces puppies. Not all Commercial Breeders are Mills.

A person who has a dog and that dog happens to have babies, and it was not planned and just the nature of being around other dogs, is not a breeder, commercial breeder or Mill.

A person who selectivly breeds their dog for the purpose of continuing the blood line or traits of the breed and keeps or gives the dogs away is a breed breeder but not a commerical breeder or mill.

A person who selectivly breeds certain breeds or types of dogs and sells the dogs is a commerical breeder but not a mill.

A person who mass produces puppies is a mill.

The big problem area is selective breeders and commercial breeders are the same. Many selective breeders try to pretend they are really not commerical breeders and want to be something else. They feel they are above the status of commercial breeder and more elite when they are still a commerical breeder if they charge for their services. They will condem comercial breeder without realizing they are also commercial breeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,020,439 times
Reputation: 6063
misfitz seems to just be in this section posting to stir up trouble folks.

Take it from me, the block button is a fabulous feature. I highly suggest ignoring all BS that's being spewed by that poster. Ignore it and it will go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Reputation: 4849
Everything you've ever wanted to know about puppy mills/byb/and reputable breeders.

Breeder/Breeding Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: ROTTWEILER & LAB LAND (HEAVEN)
2,406 posts, read 5,367,069 times
Reputation: 6003
Talking Exactly !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
REALLY?? and how do you know this?? commercial kennels are ONLY interested in making as much as they possibly can off of each of their breeders..... health and welfare of said breeder is not even a consideration...... i have posted pictures in this forum of mill and byb dogs that i have transported..... they are by FAR the most heartbreaking of all of my passengers..... dirty, smelly, matted, terrified of people to the point of being shut down, terrible teeth, paws messed up, one girl was BLIND and was still bred..... one girl was "retired" and shuffled off while she still had milk..... i could go on.....

policing their own?? only as far as it might eliminate competition.....

i suggest you google missouri puppy mill or just puppy mill ..... but be warned, some things can not be unseen once seen.....


EXACTLY....
I'm doing my best to tell family/friends not to forget to vote on Nov. 2nd.
We have to start somewhere to stop these horrible people who don't care one bit about these dogs/puppies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
misfitz seems to just be in this section posting to stir up trouble folks.

Take it from me, the block button is a fabulous feature. I highly suggest ignoring all BS that's being spewed by that poster. Ignore it and it will go away.
You are so right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
 
119 posts, read 397,510 times
Reputation: 146
We’ve Been Sacked by the Humane Society - Big Government

This doesnt necessarily represent my opinion but just a different perspective on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top