Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:34 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times

Advertisements

OMG - I'm still shaking!

I opened the front door to go out & get the newspaper and Mariah, Sammie and Gator suddenly made a break for it! We have never had a problem before with them even trying to get near the front door much less to almost knock me over shooting past me. I have no idea why it happened but I spent an hour chasing them all around the neighborhood. They would let me get within about 10 feet of them and then they would all take off again.

Mariah, as usual was the ring leader but the other two were also completely enjoying themselves. To make matters worse, I wasn't even dressed! All I had on was a pair of faded leggings and a very old T-shirt. Not my usual outfit when I go out of the house!

Its a good thing DH kept his wits about him! While I was trying to run the escapees down, he pulled up in the van with their leashes and a bag of their favorite dog treats One by one the ploy worked and we got them lasso-ed and stuffed into the van.

All the inmates are back in the asylum but the warden could really use a Valium right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
LOL!....not laughing at you, been there, done that before.

Glad the inmates were corraled back up none the worse for wear. I suspect the cooler Fall air has them wound up and they are telling you they'd like a good run out in the country.

All's well that ends well. Whew!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:43 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
LOL!....not laughing at you, been there, done that before.

Glad the inmates were corraled back up none the worse for wear. I suspect the cooler Fall air has them wound up and they are telling you they'd like a good run out in the country.

All's well that ends well. Whew!
I can laugh now too but DH just filled me in on another little tidbit. I didn't realize that the leggings have a tear along the back seam. Its seems while running I was also mooning the whole neighborhood

I can't even imagine what my neighbors are thinking right now!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Whenever one of mine escapes, I get the car and drive around with all the windows down, calling his name. They come running over to go for a ride. Never seems to dawn on them that the ride is just strsight home! But I can't fuss since they came over to me.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
When mine escape they won't stop unless someone starts counting. They are usually back in the door before 3. For some reason they are scared of numbers

Old 09-25-2010, 12:56 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
I tried this trick and it works - if your pooch can see you, turn your back to him/her and mock digging in the ground. They'll come running to see what you're "working" on.

Warning: if your pooch is big, get out of the way. Brody almost ran me over one time.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I tried this trick and it works - if your pooch can see you, turn your back to him/her and mock digging in the ground. They'll come running to see what you're "working" on.

Warning: if your pooch is big, get out of the way. Brody almost ran me over one time.
nosey little buggers aren't they?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:30 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Glad you got all your escapees back inside. Maybe they were keeping an eye on something before you opened the door. I have to admit that's pretty funny about the rip in your leggings! Your neighbors will get over it. If you see some of them smiling at you a little funny you'll know why

Old 09-25-2010, 01:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
LOL, sorry I think just about everyone has had this problem once or twice, my beloved JRT as acient as he is has taken off on me and I jump in the car driving around and have caught him high tailin' it down a busy 2 lane at 30mph. He get's something up that nose that smells good and you can color him gone.

so I'm sending you a 'net valium

Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
I've been there before and in my jammies. My big guy can take off at a dead run and I would venture a guess he goes at least 30mph..ok that might be an exageration but I swear it's fast. I had to put them in permanent lockdown..on leashes in the dog park at the complex..these guys of mine would take off and I'd never catch them. Glad you caught yours I know how nerve wracking it can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs