Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Stick with the basics - Purina Dog Chow, IAMS, even Pedigree and other known company brands. Although they aren't the best or even close to the best, you know what you are getting with those. If you can switch to a canned version, that is better. They are usually better for dogs and with concern to UTI, you want your dog to be getting enough water which these usually ensure. Don't fall for gimmicks like Racheal Ray's dog food, Cesar Milan, or the Chef Michael line. They aren't anything special. If on a strict budget, I would stick with Purina Dog Chow. If you do have a membership to Costco, they do have better foods (a grain-free store brand), but it may still be out of your price range. Check for coupons as well. When you find a deal, get two bags or more cans that would equal your budget so that you always stay ahead. You can also add water to the Dog Chow. Maybe one day, Purina will wise up and offer a grain-free food for everyone.

Good Luck!
Oh, it was more a rhetorical question. We've been using Purina Beneful Healthy Weight in the year we've had Willie. We tried a few similar price-point brands and really just chose strictly based on what he seemed to like most. I know it's middle-of-the-road (and I know that there are those who put it significantly below middle-of-the-road, as well). I'm entertaining the idea of trying the Kirkland food if our Costco carries it, which I'm currently investigating, since the price point is comparable to the same-size bag of Beneful, from what I can tell. I'd like for him to get the highest quality of food our budget allows, same rule of thumb we operate on for our own food. Thus far, though, the Purina fits our budget, he likes it, his health is great, and his coat/skin are fine. So it falls under the "If it ain't broke.." rule, for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
I would go with the regular Beneful if I were you. You have to be very careful with any of those "weight loss or similar statement" foods because they are packed with fillers and with a lot more flavorings to cover the mediocre ingredients. They are supposed to make a dog eat less but usually have the opposite effect because the added flavorings make it so much more appealing. It is amazing how many overweight dogs I see on weight control foods. No matter what food we feed (which we feed Orijen 6-Fish) I have to modify the serving guidelines they give on the bag a bit. Most manufacturers want you to overfeed your animals. Ultimately, it works out better for them because you go through more food. But, it is wise to lower that a tad until you find the amount that keeps that nice hourglass figure that dogs are supposed to have.

Another way to save money is by getting the puppy formulas of the higher quality foods. Usually there is a large breed formula and a small breed formula. Go for the one that fits your dog's size best. Then, modify the feeding amount to the lowest level on the scale for size. The food is packed with a bit more calories so your dog gets enough nutrients if not more, and you don't need to feed as much which allows you the opportunity to keep a bag around a lot longer. We switch to Orijen's puppy formula when we are busy with Agility. The dogs benefit from the extra calories and because we are so busy during those times, we don't have to buy food so often. Lastly, we are able to rotate foods which for grain-free is pretty important.

I am a bargain hunter...even when I don't need to be. Why spend more than you have to?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We don't feed the Healthy Weight Beneful for weight loss reasons, he's a very active dog whose weight is well within the healthy range; he was actually underweight when we first got him. We just use that variety because, after trial and error, it seems to be his favorite tasting food. He was none too enthused about the regular variety, or the "extra protein" active breed blend, so we went back to the one he likes, even though weight gain is not a concern. When we adopted him, we were given the bag of Pedigree he'd been eating at his foster's, but he didn't really go for that, either.

A friend with a Costco membership offered to pick up some of their house brand for us, so we'll see how that goes. I'm all for paying the least amount possible, and if this represents an opportunity to buy a better food, more's the better.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We don't feed the Healthy Weight Beneful for weight loss reasons, he's a very active dog whose weight is well within the healthy range; he was actually underweight when we first got him. We just use that variety because, after trial and error, it seems to be his favorite tasting food. He was none too enthused about the regular variety, or the "extra protein" active breed blend, so we went back to the one he likes, even though weight gain is not a concern. When we adopted him, we were given the bag of Pedigree he'd been eating at his foster's, but he didn't really go for that, either.

A friend with a Costco membership offered to pick up some of their house brand for us, so we'll see how that goes. I'm all for paying the least amount possible, and if this represents an opportunity to buy a better food, more's the better.
I hope he likes it! All my animals loved Taste of the Wild, so the Kirkland should be equally great. I just wasn't happy that it was manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods. So, we switched to Orijen. Since you are feeding a food with grain, I would suggest having him fast for 24 hours before starting the grain-free (if they have it). They digest a bit differently and it is best to keep grains and grain-free as separate as possible. I have noticed that when I didn't do that and did a gradual transition that I would have a lot of problems with the dogs getting stomach upset. Waiting 24 hours and feeding it cold turkey without the transition has been a lot more successful. Before, I would jump to conclusions and think that the food didn't work with my dogs or foster dogs. But, I wasn't giving it chance to work in most cases.

Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
I feed my dogs (2 pit bulls, english mastiff, grate Dane and yorkie) benifull mixed with kibbles and bits and they love it. I also give them raw meats every "T" day ( tuesdays and thursdays) and on Sundays. So here's what I do Monday morning each dog gets 1 1/2 cups of the dry dog food with raw eggs mixed into there food. Skip lunch because I can't be home for lunch. Get home and play with them (throw the ball around) till there tired. Dinner same thing but with fresh peas, carrots, squash, and a leaf ie. collard greens, lettuce, ect. All mixed well into the dry food all un cooked. We call that a dry day. Tuesdays morning starts with raw chicken and veggies, according to size my pit bulls get 3 pieces, mastiff and Dane get 4 and yorkie gets 1. Lunch I get them heads, pig head, cow head, elk head, ect. All frozen takes longer for them to eat it all. Skip dinner can't be home. Then repeat the dry day. And they always have raw bones ie elk legs with hoofs, pig feet, cow bones ect. I'm going to school to be a vet and this is the best way to feed your dogs and its pretty cheap. I buy meat that's on sale and freeze it all the time the heads I get from farms or hunters or the local bucher shop for cheap. The garden stuff I grow myself and the eggs come from my own chickens. My teacher at school was so surprised on how healthy my dogs are. And how well there taken care of. Just a dry dog food diet is not healthy no matter what anyone says. Google what they actually put into dog food. It's sad really,most of it is rotten road kill and corn. There is nothing on this earth that can digest corn, just like iceberg lettuce. There's no nutrients in it and what if any there are its so for body's to get it out.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
OP, your vet bills are going to cost you more than buying the dog a decent dog food to begin with.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
OP, your vet bills are going to cost you more than buying the dog a decent dog food to begin with.
AMEN!!! Most of the foods mentioned in this (zombie) thread are terrible. Beneful is awful stuff. Read the label, please.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
LOL...my husband thought it was great food and instisted that it was fine for our male GSD despite him having diarrahea for a year. I finally told him that the vet said it was very bad for dogs so he switched and the diarrahah cleared up within 12 hours.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
From the Southern States website, regarding their "complete" formula:

"Similar to Ol'Roy." Why would you want to be like Ol'Roy? This food is compared to Ol'Roy and Old Yeller, two of the worst foods on the market! It's no better than Ol'Roy.

http://www.farmersandplanters.com/petfoodsellsheet.pdf

Here are the ingredients for their complete formula, which by the way only has 21% protein!!! That's way too low for a carnivore!

Corn Meal, Meat and Bone Meal, Poultry By-Product, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Animal and Vegetable Fat, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Brewers Yeast, Natural Flavors, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Ammonium Hydroxide, Propionic Acid (A Preservative), Acetic Acid, Sodium Bentonite, Calcium Bentonite, Verxite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Biotin, Ferric Oxide (For Coloring).

I truly don't know where to start. Corn meal is the first ingredient. This food is composed primarily of corn! Menadione is a synthetic form of Vitamin K, which has been linked to liver disease, poultry by product, really? Yeast, salt and tons of preservatives. It's like Ol'Roy in disguise! But, at $14.99/40 lbs., you can't expect quality.

A 50 lb. dog needs 4 1/4 cups of this food a day, that's crazy! My almost 50 lb. Bulldog gets just under 2 cups of Orijen per day. This food is terrible, no dog food should have corn as the first ingredient!

I agree 1000%. This is swill. It's a testament to the ruggedness of dogs' systems that so many can actually survive on this garbage. But can they thrive? I doubt it. Wheat middlings? Animal fat? What kind of animal? Do we even want to know? This food and others like it are just recycled waste products.

I don't know about your contention that 21% protein is way to low, though. We feed BlueBuffalo Lamb and Brown Rice formula to our girl, and it is 22% protein, and because of some intestinal issues, we are having to feed her less protein at the moment. Even the BB FIsh & Sweet Potato formula is 22% protein. But at least it's good protein.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM

32 posts, read 64,727 times
Many of you are listing dog foods that have been recalled. Please do your research before buying any dog food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs