Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:29 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times

Advertisements

I'm just so sad. I wish I could take away your pain. You all sound like excellent pet parents. I worried about my dog falling down the stairs when she was doing that circling thing. She too would bash into walls and furniture. It's just so sad to see our four-legged family members going through this. Again, I am so sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I don't remember from my growing up years any dogs having this thing. The dogs I had and my friends had did get old and go blind and deaf and eventually die, but we never saw anything like this syndrome.

I'm wondering why it is so prevalent these days?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't remember from my growing up years any dogs having this thing. The dogs I had and my friends had did get old and go blind and deaf and eventually die, but we never saw anything like this syndrome.

I'm wondering why it is so prevalent these days?
We were having the same conversation. All my family dogs lived to be very old dogs and then they did not have these conditions. I think new viruses and bacterias manifest themselves either by importations or simply mutation. It is heartbreaking.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Thanks, everyone.

Any more stories on vestibular syndrome in dogs?

Has anyone tried anything (even natural remedies) that absolutely worked?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 688 times
Came home tonight to my 14 year old yorkie walking sideways and now in circles also. Almost panicked and ran to the emergency vet but read your comments here and felt a bit better. Have decided to just watch him through the night before taking further action. Does not seem to be in pain at all and eating his treats just fine.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
My now 14 year old mixed breed had it a few months ago. She was better except for the head tilt in a few days. I just realized after reading this that the head tilt is now gone, too.

Don't know whether this link is any of the above posts or not:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/devestib.html#b

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Back in 2007 I was preparing my min schnauzer for a move abroad. He was 13 yrs old and very healthy. I took him to the vet to get his vaccines to prepare him for the requirements for the UK to avoid quarantine. My vet messed up with the rabies vaccine part of the requirements. He ended up getting to tighter (sp)test to show he did not have rabies. The test was also done incorrectly. Anyways, long story short he ended up getting the vaccine again. Four weeks before for our trip abroad, I woke to him walking in circles and acting really strange. I took him to the vet for 2 weeks for observation, It would come and go. I was back and forth about what to do for him and with him as regards to my trip. My vet said he needed mri's and all sorts of tests that I could not afford. Knowing he was going to be going on a long flight and because the vet messed up, he was going to have to do 6 months quarantine when I arrived in the UK. I had to make a really tough decision. I always promised him that if he was no longer himself and had to be carried around to do things like go outside and eat that I would do what was best for him. The vet said it was unlikely that he would recover. A week before leaving he had a really bad episode and I had to make the decision to let him go. The day I had scheduled to take him to the vet, he was his crazy silly self acting just fine. It was really tough but the roller coaster ride we were on reminded me that I had to let go before the big move. He was with me through so much in my life. The vet never mentioned vestibular disease to me. Now that I am reading about it, it sounds like what he might have had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs