Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times

Advertisements

Early Dog Spaying and Neutering Effects

And it does have some issue on plastics, and estrogen levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
granny, you are a wealth of K-9 health information. Thanks for the link! Couldn't rep you again so soon.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:35 PM

I do believe spaying and neutering is advisable for most pets - and my female is spayed - but really do think people should consider waiting for full development before they do.........

Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
Waiting for full development could mean that with a female you would have to deal with her first season.
I wonder if they could just leave the ovaries in there and only remove the uterus.
For a male it should be no problem waiting till he is a year or so.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Early Dog Spaying and Neutering Effects

And it does have some issue on plastics, and estrogen levels.
A warning about the website this article is located on. I'll let everyone form their own opinions on how much merit to give it. You be the judge on its validity.

FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

Old 10-03-2010, 04:48 AM

That does call into question the credibitly of their site -I posted because I ran across it and a lot of folks seem to respect info on their site - the warning was for marketing claims, not inormational aticles

I do think it does raise other questions about the impact on the timing of spay neuter.

It does seem to be established that early spay of ferrets is related to cushings.
There are articles on loss of longevity for women who loose their ovaries before 50

UGA - early spay - ferrets
Adrenal Disease in Domestic Ferrets: An Overview (http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/CLERK/johnson/index.php - broken link)

Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
That does call into question the credibitly of their site -I posted because I ran across it and a lot of folks seem to respect info on their site - the warning was for marketing claims, not inormational aticles

I do think it does raise other questions about the impact on the timing of spay neuter.

It does seem to be established that early spay of ferrets is related to cushings.
There are articles on loss of longevity for women who loose their ovaries before 50

UGA - early spay - ferrets
Adrenal Disease in Domestic Ferrets: An Overview (http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/CLERK/johnson/index.php - broken link)
I'm not sure how the article on ferrets relates to dogs. Very very different animals. As for women, you are speaking to someone that lost her ovaries at 27. I'm well over 50 now and still alive & kicking

I've seen the articles you refer to (regarding women) and researched those and others (for all of the obvious reasons). The only credible study I have found shows a small increase in heart disease and breast cancer for those that already have a genetic pre-disposition for those diseases. Since I'd be dead today if I hadn't had the surgery back then, I'd say that one in the INCREASED longevity column!

On a broader view, an article is just one person's opinion on a topic. A study is also not conclusive proof of anything. I've seen a lot of studies waved around in the media as being fact until you look at the sampling data and realize that it either represents a very small percentage for the sampling base or that the sampling base is skewed toward the outcome desired. (BSL comes to mind). I'm all for sharing information, articles and studies but also hope that the information is taken in as a topic to discuss and not as an irrefutable fact.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 PM

If you look at the tone of my post it was stated in the tone of "more info" and something people "should consider" and ask about. Many people state as fact that there are no negative impacts to early spay and neuter and early spay neuter is "PC" so that is the line most people are told. Just like they are told to vaccinate their dogs every year.

I think presenting alternative views is acceptable. I don't see anybody saying anything is "fact"

After your post, I researcned and found plenty of artcles relating to ferrets. There are many similarities across mammalian species and found it interesting. I acknowledged your refute even though the issue with Mercola and the FDA had nothing to do with the articles being viewed and everything to do with advertising claims so it was not relevant other than to impugn her credibility.

Oh, yes, I lost my ovaries at 42......so I do have concerns about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs