U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,038,321 times

Advertisements

For about a year now my dog is throwing up. She is a Rott/Mastiff mix and 8-9 years old.

Sometimes it's bile, sometimes foamy, slimy yuck, sometimes everything she just ate. It happens almost daily.

I've tried switching food & feeding her at different times.

The vet wants to do $400 of tests - which I cannot afford.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,239,982 times
Vomiting almost every day for a year

You should do the tests if you care about this dog at all. I can't believe that anyone would make their pet suffer that long with what could be a very serious problem.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,224,163 times
Vomiting every day is abnormal. Please let the vet find out what is going on with your dog. If your child were vomiting every day would you not allow the pediatrician to do the necessary testing to help it?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM

2,187 posts, read 6,835,003 times
What are you feeding and are you feeding using a raised feeder? Are there any other symptoms? Does this only happen after she goes outside, after she plays, does she drink a lot of water? How is her weight? Any itching, or signs of allergy otherwise?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure out more information to give you some ideas of what the real change needs to be.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,276,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
The vet wants to do $400 of tests - which I cannot afford.

Any suggestions?
Yes, perhaps try and work out a payment plan with the vet? I know that some will work with you and some won't. I'd find a vet who would be willing to help you out - fast.

Also, some vets promote a credit card system (from a separate company). It's similar to our credit cards, but is just for pets. I'll try to find the company my vet used.

Sorry for your pup being in distress.

EDIT: Here you go. CareCredit® Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures

Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,584,408 times
Maybe you could do just a simple blood panel for less than the full exam. You could try soaking the dogs food for 30 min and feeding smaller amounts twice a day, but I would certainly work something out with the vet.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM

288 posts, read 603,288 times
wow, a year is a long time

Can you think of anything significant that has changed in the year? Does she have bones at all? Does she seem lethargic? Also if you own a large breed dog, you should be familiar about feeding and the condition "Bloat" I do not think this is the problem though as this is an acute life threatening condition with very sudden onset. Please read up on this condition if you have not heard about it.

Has she lost weight or has her demenour changed at all?

I have had what I would consider "sicky" dogs in the past which were sick on a regular basis but only a few times a month, but if it is on a daily basis that needs to be investigated.

it sounds almost like a mechanical problem such as maybe some form of obstruction somewhere . Did your vet say what tests they want to do? I am guessing there is an xray in their plan which would be a good idea and would pick up any obstructive items.

A basic blood work as Motely Crew suggested is a good idea. This should pick up if there is any inflamation or infection present and would be a good starting point.

Please keep us posted

Old 09-30-2010, 12:02 PM

119 posts, read 397,883 times
Is it right after he eats? My Lab/Shepherd was vomiting occasionally after he ate. I would watch him eat and he consumed his food so fast that it would make him vomit. I put a ball in his dish and put the dish on a slick floor that way it takes him twice as long to eat he hardly ever vomits now.

You might try this but if it has been happening for a year and this doesnt work please see your vet and work out a payment plan.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:27 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,523,050 times
I strongly suggest taking the dog to the vet and working out some sort of payment plan. My black lab (just turned 7 this week) had chronic vomiting - the exact description of what you mention: bile, foamy, slimy, etc. We ran the gamit of tests and he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Another possible diagnosis is IBS which if left untreated can lead to stomach cancer.

Please get your dog checked. Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,038,321 times
Thanks for your responces. I should have been more clear. The vomiting was only occasional when it started about a year ago. Sometimes she can go a week without vomiting. When I posted this it had been almost every day for a week and I was at wits end!! Over the weekend she didn't get sick at all.

She is a big girl. Her weight is between 85-95lbs. No signs of allergies except licking her stomach which she has done since she was a puppy. The yucky/slimy vomit will happen between feedings sometimes. I think she may be eating too fast sometimes, because she will JUST finish eating & then immediately vomit. She does not have a raised feeder, but I will get one and see if that helps.

I don't mean to sound heartless by saying this, but I can not afford to pay $400 in just testing for the dog. That doesn't include any treatments. That is just to find out what the problem is!! I have children and their needs come before the dogs. The tests they wanted to do were x-rays and blood tests.

I appreciate everyones advice. I am going to feed her smaller amounts more often & try the raised feeder. I like the idea of putting something in her bowl to slow her down. I hope I answered all the questions!

Last edited by treeg26; 10-04-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or