Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM

113 posts, read 193,219 times

Advertisements

Our dog Cloe (who weighs 50 lbs.), gets excited and jumps on us first thing in the morning and when it's time for her walk.

My husband had surgery on his shoulder last week and he was a little nervous about Cloe jumping and maybe hurting his shoulder. When we came home from the hospital, she watched me help him into the house and she must have sensed that something was wrong. She has not jumped once and acts very calm around my husband.

Does your dog act differently when you are sick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 AM

119 posts, read 467,747 times
I know they can. My Lab/Shepherd use to sit in my lap all the time when he was young but now that he is so big and 3 YO he doesnt do it very much but on Friday I went home from work early with a terrible cold and he got in my lap and slept with me for hours. It was like he was trying to make me feel better.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,940,943 times
Mine do. They become a lot more protective and cautious. If I am in pain, my smaller dog usually lays right by where it hurts since he is a natural heating pad. They are very sweet but even more sweet when one of us isn't feeling great or is on the mend. I have noticed that our foster cats take turns laying with us if we are stuck in bed, too. So, maybe it isn't limited to just dogs.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Absolutely!

I distinctly remember the time that I had a fever and chills, and could not, no matter how many blankets I had on me, get warm. Artie was lying on the guestroom bed with me, saw that I was still freezing, and laid his body on top of mine, lengthwise, covering as much of me as he could. It was the sweetest thing ever.

Also, he totally senses my moods and somehow knows which moods require that he give me my space and which moods necessitate a good cuddle.

It's quite amazing.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,428 times
Yeah, it's scary how much they can tell. When I'm sad, Beeze will put his head on my lap (he never does!) and when I'm sick, he'll lay down and just stare at me with these puppy dog eyes. Cutest thing ever.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 AM

831 posts, read 1,963,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Yeah, it's scary how much they can tell. When I'm sad, Beeze will put his head on my lap (he never does!) and when I'm sick, he'll lay down and just stare at me with these puppy dog eyes. Cutest thing ever.
Ditto here, when I'm heartsick they seem to want to stay closer than usual. Have not had major illnesses (thank heavens) to identify with that, but I have come home after a hysterical outburst (mostly after finding dead dogs on the road in this Godforsaken place) and have dried up by the time I get home but the monsters stick to me like glue on those days. Follow me room to room, paw at me to be petted. Particularly if I go lay down for a while afterward -- I'll have all three right there. One on the floor on my side of the bed, one on the bed up against my legs and the biggest of them all laying with his head on my chest. Gotta love my monsters.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 AM

113 posts, read 193,219 times
I remember a few years back, my friend telling me that her dog would not leave her alone and was constantly by her side when she was at home. She was getting rather annoyed with the dog. When I saw her a few weeks later, she told me she had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. She said that she thought her dog had known that she was sick before she did.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
My late Lab and Springer knew. The Lab would just stay close and quiet and put up with me holding him to stay warm if I had a fever. The Springer would cuddle as close as he could and lay with his head on my chest or across my neck.

Time will tell how this new pup reacts. Thus far puppy ADD keeps him from snuggling for any period of time.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,918,978 times
I think dogs are very intuitive when your sick or a little down. When I've been sick, Sheba goes into protective mode. As long as I remain laid up in bed, she will lay on top of my feet and keep watch. It's very comforting.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 28,446 times
yes , pets are very friendly to the owner and they relate very much with him . They are like child even if they dont realize what do u have the reasion, but they do note your mood , and the dog changes attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs