Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM

119 posts, read 467,627 times

Advertisements

My Lab/Shepherd(Buddy) is a tall, well muscled dog and weights around 80lbs. My son has two dogs one is a 12 lb mixed breed who doesnt play(would rather snuggle with people) and my Buddy never bothers her the other is a 40 Lb Bassett/Beagle and they have always played so good together but both are tough type of dogs. When I found my 10 lb Sheltie I thought she would be like my son's little dog Sue and not really play with my Buddy but boy was I wrong. She started play attacking him, biting his face and running around with him. At first he never would bite her back would just kind of roll over or go get a toy and run around with her but then he started play biting her back and wrestling with her. I was very worried at first but he never, ever hurts her. I know that Lab's have soft mouths so I am sure he doesnt bite down hard but how he keeps himself up on his front legs when they wrestle so that he doesnt put weight on her is amazing. Does your big dogs play this well with little dogs? He also does great with puppies too.

Here is a pic of the two of them playing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1286218845
Attached Thumbnails
Do you ever wonder how a big dog can play with a little dog without hurting them.-buddy-siera-playig.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,478,187 times
So cute!

We just adopted a second (much smaller) dog and the little one tries to play but my bigger one would rather play ball with us.

Here are a couple of fun examples of big ones playing very nicely with the scrappier small ones:

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLATGEAuvyw&feature=fvsr

YouTube - Ace & Lucy (By Eldad Hagar)

YouTube - eldad75's Channel

Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,431,621 times
My dogs don't even play that well with me!

Blizzard (60 pound, 7 year old, fixed female Alaskan Husky) is the smart graceful one, but she does not play well with other dogs. Buddy (130 pound, 3 year old, intact male African Mastiff) is the not too bright klutz, but a very playful klutz.

Buddy is the kind of dog that will pick up a toy that Blizzard is standing directly over, lifting both the toy and Blizzard off the ground. Then look at me as if you ask, "why is Blizzard on my back?" Blizzard is not amused.

Blizzard, on the other hand, has aggression issues. She attacked Buddy when he was just a puppy, and I had to keep her on a muzzle if I left them alone together. They have a good relationship now, but only because Buddy is twice her mass. If she could dominate him, she would.

She will allow Buddy to take her toys away from her, but only begrudgingly. Her favorite game is to take one of Buddy's toys and play keep-away. Buddy isn't all that bright, but he is tenacious. Buddy will follow her around all day if necessary, looking for an opportunity to get his toy back. If she puts the toy down to get a drink of water, nibble on some food, or is otherwise distracted, Buddy is right there to collect his prize.

Of course, that "prize" could be a toy, bone, or a piece of paper. It doesn't matter to Buddy. If Blizzard has it, he will want it. Five minutes after obtaining his prize, he forgets all about it, or he drops it and Blizzard is there to take it away. Then the game of keep-away begins all over again.

When I play with my dogs, it starts out with nice play biting and slowly builds to more serious biting. I just sit on the floor and make swipes at their paws, while they try to stop me by biting my hands and arms. Blizzard is the best at this game. She is agile enough to avoid my swipes, and fast enough to dart in and bite me. Buddy, on the other hand, is only able to bite my hand or arm, after I grab one of his legs.

I can only play with them this way for about 5 to 10 minutes. After that, they are really starting to bite hard. Usually, I can stop the game before any skin (mine of course) gets broken, but not always. Both dogs love the game, and understand when it is over. They will both come over and lick my face to let me know there was no hard feelings.

Buddy would get along with any dog or cat of any size, but he is still pretty young and not very agile. If he hurt anyone at all, it would be entirely accidental due to his own clumsiness.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,918,583 times
Years ago when my sister had 2 St Bernards I had a 6 lb Dachshund and a 5 lb Lhasa mix, they used to play all the time. It was amazing how gentle the St's were. My male GSD who was 90lb was like that when we first got Rita, a bulldog, at 12 weeks, he would just lay there and let her crawl all over him. He was very good with her, he loved puppies.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,915,339 times
well my boxer is about 80lbs and he is really gentle. when I wrestle with him he is really careful about not biting down when he grabs me with his jaws.

I also have a 10lbs bichon and the dogs wrestle all the time. The bichon doesn't hold back but the boxer is always gentle no matter how many times he get bitten

Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,166,194 times
Brody's a not-quite grown, 120 lb French Mastiff, and he just pulverizes a smaller playmate because he's only had me and his sibling to really play with (his breed doesn't socialize much with humans and dogs he doesn't know). In social settings, he's aloof to - or separated from the smaller breeds.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,012,383 times
bailey and dave are pretty close in weight, although dave is several inches taller than she is .... they play pretty well together, although dave does use his height to his advantage.....

when buddy-the-giant-lab was living in our house, (98 lbs to bailey's 55), he would just bowl bailey over when they were playing in the yard.... she would get right back up and have at it all over again....

i just love the picture of your buddy and sierra playing....

i also love how absolutely patient the pittie in the video is with the little dog.... you can see the expression on his face saying.... make her STOP.... but he just puts up with her.... so sweet....

Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,733,889 times
My 230 lb Motley played today with my daughter's little 40lb dog. They really had a great time and Motley puts his entire mouth over the little guys head and is very gentle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs