U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 4,641,857 times
Reputation: 1923

Advertisements

The backyard fence was taken down Monday morning and we have been fenceless since then. The dog is out of her mind wanting to go outside to her yard. She is whining and PACING, doing a nonstop loop through the downstairs. All I hear is click click click click click click click click of toenails.

And I should have trained her to "go on command" while on a leash. The potty walks are endless and unproductive. Then we come in and she paces.

ARGGGGGG! I wish I could drug her or something. She's also obsessed with being able to see the neighbor's yards which were always blocked by the prior fence. So she can see even MORE squirrels and birds and lights in the windows, etc. Being part sighthound, this fascinates her to obsessive distraction.

I feel like a puppy mom...PRAYING for potty and poopie!

They're supposed to finish the fence today - I am praying for that as well.

I just had to vent - she's driving me nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,355 posts, read 16,865,310 times
Reputation: 11463
bless your heart.....

just keep telling yourself: this, too, shall pass ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,702 posts, read 26,804,169 times
Reputation: 26691
Is the fence up yet?

What about now?

Is it finished?

When?

What time?

When?

What about now?

Fence?

---------------------------------------------

This wasn't helping was it?

I'm sorry for your anxiety and your pup's too. I imagine that Artie (and I) would feel the same way.

---------------------------------------------

Is the fence up yet?

What about now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 4,641,857 times
Reputation: 1923
no, they're not done yet, and they LEFT! I don't know if it was to take a break and they're coming back or what (hyperventilation).

I am leaving though. So she goes into her crate and although I just took her out and gave her 15 minutes to pee (she had been pacing, whining and started howling as in "aroooo"), she did nothing as far as peeing or other. So she'll just have to suffer.

And if that fence isn't done when I get home (I don't think it will be), I will open the pinot grigio, which is what I should have done sooner!

click, click, click, click, click, click, click........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,698,572 times
Reputation: 5207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Is the fence up yet?

What about now?

Is it finished?

When?

What time?

When?

What about now?

Fence?

---------------------------------------------

This wasn't helping was it?

I'm sorry for your anxiety and your pup's too. I imagine that Artie (and I) would feel the same way.

---------------------------------------------

Is the fence up yet?

What about now?

ROFL! If we could read our dogs minds, thats about how it would sound! Nothing is more frustrating than an obsessive pup. I have the same problem but in our house it has to do with time. It all starts at about 3:30pm every day....

Is it dinner time yet?

How about now?

Please please tell me its dinner time!

When?

How about now??

Of course it accompanied by pacing whining and long soulful looks! Finally ends at 5:00 at their normal feeding time or earlier if I just can't stand it any longer I totally understand & sympathize!

Look at the bright side....you will be getting your fence back & your pup will calm down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,467,524 times
Reputation: 3946
Oh boy, fences! My favorite!
Oh boy, squirrels! My favorite!
Oh boy, walkies! My favorite!
Oh boy, birds! My favorite!
Oh boy, neighbor yards! My favorite!

Hehe...sorry. Dogs are weird. I love 'em. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,702 posts, read 26,804,169 times
Reputation: 26691
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
no, they're not done yet, and they LEFT! I don't know if it was to take a break and they're coming back or what (hyperventilation).

I am leaving though. So she goes into her crate and although I just took her out and gave her 15 minutes to pee (she had been pacing, whining and started howling as in "aroooo"), she did nothing as far as peeing or other. So she'll just have to suffer.

And if that fence isn't done when I get home (I don't think it will be), I will open the pinot grigio, which is what I should have done sooner!

click, click, click, click, click, click, click........
Aw crap!

When our fence was being put up -- Artie had never experienced freedom in a fenced-in yard before that -- I was the one going crazy. He hated that people were doing *something* so close to our house, but I was the eager beaver, just wanting Artie to get to have some fun. Oh, how I longed to open that back door and just let him out. WOW!

So, when they knocked on the door to tell me that they were done for the day (not DONE, just done FOR THE DAY), I was all, "WHAT????? Are you KIDDING me?"

Poor pupper. Poor YOU! (I don't drink, but I can understand the yearning for something calming!)

Hopefully they'll be back to finish the job. Please! Please! PLEEEEEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 4,641,857 times
Reputation: 1923
Yep, once you and your dog have had a fenced in yard, it's he|| being fenceless. And she doesn't understand. They are such creatures of habit and structure.

Lesson learned by me: TRAIN THE DOG TO "GO" ON COMMAND. She was a breeze to housetrain, but I didn't make her do it on command; I just rewarded the act. So when leashed, she's excited about "walkies" and not interested in potty. I will work on this with her, although it may be too late. And the next canine addition to the family will be trained to go on command.

Within 18 hours we should be back to normal and the fence is going to be gorgeous. I am practicing patience. It helps that she is in deep nap mode right now (i.e., no "click click click" ).

Thanks for the support and the laughs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 AM
 
119 posts, read 398,434 times
Reputation: 146
What about a tie out. My dogs have a fenced in back yard but when we are sitting on the porch in the front, I have my Sheltie on a staked tie out so she can be with us. I would prefer her to be off leash but she is almost impossible to catch so I have to do this and my Lab gets to be off leash because he actually minds LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Newark, CA
2,168 posts, read 4,750,471 times
Reputation: 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
The backyard fence was taken down Monday morning and we have been fenceless since then. The dog is out of her mind wanting to go outside to her yard. She is whining and PACING, doing a nonstop loop through the downstairs. All I hear is click click click click click click click click of toenails.

And I should have trained her to "go on command" while on a leash. The potty walks are endless and unproductive. Then we come in and she paces.

ARGGGGGG! I wish I could drug her or something. She's also obsessed with being able to see the neighbor's yards which were always blocked by the prior fence. So she can see even MORE squirrels and birds and lights in the windows, etc. Being part sighthound, this fascinates her to obsessive distraction.

I feel like a puppy mom...PRAYING for potty and poopie!

They're supposed to finish the fence today - I am praying for that as well.

I just had to vent - she's driving me nuts!

I feel your pain. I just planted a new lawn in the backyard, so the yard is off limits. I have an Australian Cattle Dog who is going nuts that he can't go in his yard. He stands by the patio door whining and slaps his tail against the vertical blinds over and over and over....klinkety, klinkety, klinkety, klinkety! AAAAAAHHHH...enough already!! Just keep telling yourself that it's only temporary. Once my lawn is established, I'll let him run around until his little heart's content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top