U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,815,057 times
Default anyone have an older large dog with an ACL tear, not surgically repaired?

My lab is 85 lbs, a little overweight...probably would be better at 80 lbs. She is going to be 11 on Christmas this year. She has arthritis in her hind legs and has been walking with a limp for a few weeks now. Looks like she recently ruptured her ACL as now she won't put any weight on her left hind at all. We took her to the vet who said took xrays, confirmed her ACL tear with the drawer test and said that we can either do surgery or treat with rest and prednisone. At this time and with her age, we wanted to try rest and meds first to see how it goes.

It is breaking my heart seeing her struggle on three legs, but i realize it will take time. Did anyone else just use rest and meds and have success? I am not ruling out surgery but we wanted to see how she was with the rest first since she'll have to do that post-op anyway. She is fairly sedentary at this age anyway, so she only gets up to go out to the potty and we support her with a towel under her belly, helping to relieve the weight burden on her leg.

Any experiences, good and bad, with non-surgical healing of the ACL tear? Please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 PM
ZSP

1,113 posts, read 1,971,575 times
oops - double post

Last edited by ZSP; 10-09-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: double post

Old 10-09-2010, 01:47 PM
ZSP

1,113 posts, read 1,971,575 times
We have a LabX too and she tore her ACL last year - we opted for the Prednisone and rest rather than the surgery and it worked for her. Occasionally she'll play a little too hard and will limp for a day or two and I'll treat that with Rimadyl for pain and to reduce inflammation.

As always, it's your decision to make.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM

7,548 posts, read 8,078,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
My lab is 85 lbs, a little overweight...probably would be better at 80 lbs. She is going to be 11 on Christmas this year. She has arthritis in her hind legs and has been walking with a limp for a few weeks now. Looks like she recently ruptured her ACL as now she won't put any weight on her left hind at all. We took her to the vet who said took xrays, confirmed her ACL tear with the drawer test and said that we can either do surgery or treat with rest and prednisone. At this time and with her age, we wanted to try rest and meds first to see how it goes.

It is breaking my heart seeing her struggle on three legs, but i realize it will take time. Did anyone else just use rest and meds and have success? I am not ruling out surgery but we wanted to see how she was with the rest first since she'll have to do that post-op anyway. She is fairly sedentary at this age anyway, so she only gets up to go out to the potty and we support her with a towel under her belly, helping to relieve the weight burden on her leg.

Any experiences, good and bad, with non-surgical healing of the ACL tear? Please let me know.

how is your girl doing??

i just today found out my bailey (a heeler mix, also a little chubby) tore her ACL SIX MONTHS AGO..... i took her to the vet the day it happened and they examined her but didn't find it..... wanted $300 for x-rays, which i did not have at that time.... sent us home with some rymadil and she eventually got better on her own (i thought) ....

fast forward to about late july to early august ..... i noticed that she was having a hard time getting herself up after she had been sitting or lying down for any length of time.... she also would have a hard time jumping into or out of the car at time.... it really looked like it was her hips bothering her.... but when we would be out on our walks, she was FINE.... no limping, no slowing down.... NOTHING.....

i cut her and dave's walks back to every other day to try to help her rest her joints..... i would just keep her home but she actually gets depressed if she doesn't get out regularly.... that and i could't take dave out and not take her...... i have been giving her glucosamine every day and a buffered aspirin when she looked like she was particularly stiff.....

i had been unhappy with our vet from the time i took her in in april when she injured her leg.... i didn't like the way the vet talked to me and it just seemed that they were interested in doing as much as they could to run my bill up.... my business has been struggling for the last 9-10 months and unfortunately, bills are a concern.....

i got home last night and she was obviously not feeling well.... she even refused a treat.... which is NOT her at all..... took her to another vet today that i have heard wonderful things about and she immediately diagnosed the torn ACL in her right hind leg..... and said that although aspirin is ok for most dogs, for some dogs, it is too hard on their stomachs, and apparently bailey is one of those...... ..... she has not been eating or drinking and had become a little dehydrated..... the vet thinks she MIGHT have an ulcer on top of the torn ACL...... so, we are treating that now and will go back in a month or so for further evaluation of the ACL.......

the vet told me i could still keep taking her on walks and that the walks had probably been beneficial in helping to maintain use of the leg.... when she is out and about, she is FINE.... you'd never know something was wrong .... the vet said that i should try to walk her on hills if i could to help build up the quads in her legs and increase stability in her knees..... she said that because i had continued to walk bailey routinely, she had good muscle mass in both her hind legs and that this is more likely a congenital issue with her and that her weight didn't have that much to do with it ..... and since she tore this one, she is likely at some point to tear the left one too.....

**sigh**

Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM

268 posts, read 319,175 times
Our old Golden, who has since passed. He was about 8 when it happened. I actually had the surgery planned and cancelled it upon doing my own research. I knew in my heart that being confined to a crate for weeks except potty breaks, plus the surgery, the hospital, the whole experience, might kill him. The thought of putting him through all that was breaking my heart. But all dogs have different personalities, some are heartier than others, it all depends. Skipper had OCD , was my shadow, and a real marshmallow. Anyway, from what I remember, I began to walk him short distances every day and eventually scar tissue healed over the area, strenghtening it. He lived for several more years, never having any problems, playing in the yard with our younger dog, and walking and swimming to his heart's content. So surgery is not the only way to go. But I feel that some surgeons push it and never even mention another alternative. The other worry I had at the time was that statistically, he had a big chance of blowing out another leg and what would I do then? Put him through hell a second time? Again, I am sure people will weigh in and tell you that their dogs did great, this is just my experience with my wonderful but wacky dog. He lived a good life without having the surgery.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 PM

8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post

This is pure, unadulterated personal opinion in the truest sense:

An overweight silver fox with an ACL tear is an excellent candidate for a reduction in calorie intake (she would be even better at 70-75), anti-inflammatory meds and strict rest. With or without the surgery she's not going to be a fiery dynamo anymore. She doesn't need to be lugging a tire around her belly anymore either - in fact that's probably the best thing you can do for her.

Be careful: she's at risk of injuring the opposite knee while she's heavily favoring that side.

On an unrelated note: I have a 2.5 year old golden retriever lying on the floor next to me dreaming about chasing something. I hope I never have to see him suffer through an injury like that. My heart goes out to you.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM

394 posts, read 503,529 times
Years ago we had a cocker spaniel, about 35 lbs, who tore his ACL. He must have been about 11 or 12 at the time. It was very painful for him at first and he couldn't put any weight down on his hind leg. We took him to the vet and scheduled the surgery for a week later. Within that week, he improved so much. He was putting weight down on the leg and walking much more normally. He was happy and energetic. We questioned whether to go ahead with the surgery and decided to go ahead with it and fix the problem, thinking long term at the time. In retrospect I am not sure that was the right decision. He had a hard recovery from the surgery. It was very painful for him, and it took a long time to heal. He was eventually able to walk on the leg but he was never able to run around like he did before. I think, given his age at the time, and the fact that the ACL was doing ok on its own and the dog was getting around fine, that we should have left it alone instead of cutting him open and giving him more to heal from. I would wait and see how he does the next few weeks. If he seems fine, then it would be best to abstain from surgery, just my opinion. HTH

Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 AM

233 posts, read 591,647 times
I just found out that my 5 year old lab has an ACL tear. I was told by my vet that surgery (at a cost of $3000) was the only option. I did some research and found the following:

Dog Ligament Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?

I'm going to try holding off on the surgery. I would also be very interested in hearing from those who chose against surgery.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM

7,548 posts, read 8,078,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
I just found out that my 5 year old lab has an ACL tear. I was told by my vet that surgery (at a cost of $3000) was the only option. I did some research and found the following:

Dog Ligament Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?

I'm going to try holding off on the surgery. I would also be very interested in hearing from those who chose against surgery.

as i noted in my previous post, my cattle dog mix, bailey, tore the acl in her right leg SIX MONTHS ago ..... i took her to the vet the day it happened, but it was not diagnosed..... they gave her a shot of rymadil and sent some rymadil tablets home..... she tripoded around the yard for a couple or 3 weeks, but got better on her own.......

i have been continuing to walk her and my other dog since that time, and a couple or 3 months ago, noticed that she was very stiff when rising after having been sitting or lying down for a while..... took her to another vet last week who IMMEDIATELY diagnosed the ACL tear and said that bailey's knee had heeled pretty well on its own.... there is some scar tissue and residual arthritis from the injury, but she said that the fact that bailey had kept exercising probably helped her heal as she has..... she has great muscle tone in her legs from almost daily 2.5-3 mile walks..... i haven't been letting her offleash to run in the woods over the last 2 weeks or so, because that seemed to exacerbate the stiffness.....

the vet said to continue the walks and to try to find some hills for her to walk up.... this will further strengthen her quads, that in turn will further stabilize her knees...... funny thing .... this is pretty much what MY doctor has said about MY knee.....

btw .... she is 5-1/2 years old, and a bit chubby, but the vet didn't seem to think her weight had much to do with her injury......

Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 14,308 times
I have a mastiff she is small she is only around 80 pds she has torn her ACL for the 2nd time. HOw long did you dog need to rest before she was feeling better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs