Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,887,193 times

Advertisements

I just got this email from my local pet supplies store and wanted to pass on the information.

(Sorry if the formatting gets messed up.)

[CENTER][CENTER]Recall Alert
Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd. Recalls Limited Production Code Dates of Dry Dog Food Because of Possible Excess Vitamin D[/CENTER][/CENTER]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd., recalls certain dry dog food because of possible excess Vitamin D that can affect the health of some dogs. The Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd., is recalling certain packages of its Wilderness Chicken, Basics Salmon and Large Breed Adult Chicken dry dog foods sold under the "BLUE" brand which have the potential to contain excessive levels of Vitamin D.
If you have Blue Buffalo[SIZE=3]Wilderness Chicken, Basics Salmon and Large Breed Adult Chicken[/SIZE] dry dog foods, please stop feeding themto your pet and return them to PSP for a complete refund.
While Vitamin D is a beneficial component of these foods, the Company believes that these products may have levels of Vitamin D that are beyond the formula specifications, and has therefore chosen to withdraw them.
Dogs reacting to the higher levels of Vitamin D may show signs of lethargy or exhibit unusually frequent water consumption and urination. If your pet has consumed the recalled products and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
The affected products of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken, Basics Salmon and Large Breed Adult Chicken dry dog foods were distributed nationwide at PSP and other pet specialty retailers.
Only these products are involved in this recall:
Blue Wilderness Chicken Flavor dry dog food
4.5 lb
"Best If Used By JUL2611Z"
"Best If Used By JUL2711Z" &
"Best If Used By JUL2811Z"

11 lb
"Best If Used By JUL1211B"
24 lb
"Best If Used By JUL1211B" &
"Best If Used By JUL1311B"

Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Formula Salmon and Potato Recipe dry dog food
11 lb
"Best If Used By AUG2111B" &
"Best If Used By AUG2211B"

Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Formula Salmon and Potato Recipe dry dog food
24 lb
"Best If Used By AUG2111B"
"Best If Used By SEP2311P" &
"Best If Used By OCT2611P"

Blue Life Protection Formula Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Large Breed Adult dog food
30 lb
"Best If Used By SEP2211P"
"Best If Used By SEP2311P" &
"Best If Used By OCT2611P"

</SPAN>

No other BLUE dry or can pet foods are involved in this recall, and only the specific code dates of these products are involved.

To date there have been 36 cases nationwide of dogs reported with symptoms consistent with elevated Vitamin D in their systems while feeding on these specific productions of the products. In all cases the symptoms have subsided upon discontinuing feeding these products, with no apparent long term health consequences.
Blue Buffalo learned of this potential condition in its products when it received reports of dogs diagnosed with high Vitamin D levels while feeding on the products from these specific production runs. On further investigation it was learned that a sequencing error had occurred at the supplier of the dry ingredients for these products. Immediately before producing the ingredients for these specific production runs, the supplier had run a product for another customer that contained a more potent form of Vitamin D used in chicken feeds. It is now believed that there was some level of carry over of this Vitamin D product into the ingredients for the specific manufacturing runs of the BLUE products, thereby increasing the Vitamin D activity to unacceptable levels in the Blue ingredients.
If you have questions, please contact your local Pet Supplies “Plus” store or contact us. Or contact the Blue Buffalo company at 1-877-523-9114 from 8 AM to 8 PM Eastern Time or visit the Company web site at www.bluebuffalo.com/news for more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,021,994 times
Thanks for posting that info. I use that brand for my dog, but the one for small breeds. Hopefully, that won't be affected. Lately, he's not wanting to eat unless I add some good stuff to it, like peas. I have added some of the small breed wet. Do you think I am okay in sticking with this brand. He eats the pink dry food, which is chicken and rice. I have switched more than I can count since he was a puppy, but maybe he's getting tired of it too~?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:43 PM

18,651 posts, read 33,220,601 times
Thank you for the post.
I just started buying Blue Buffalo kibble last week (one not in the recall) and it seems to have saved my senior George's life. He stopped eating the stuff I had to switch to when our regular stuff was discontinued. He had $600 worth of tests and two rounds of antibiotics and only started eating again with the Blue Buffalo and lots of chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs