U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 PM

4,504 posts, read 9,505,681 times

Advertisements

I thought I would share this with you all before I take off for my drive through LA to Orange County ( 120 mile for me) ..

Over this past week my 86 yr old dad has become more confused and was not eating so my brother started checking on him more often and yesterday found him in bed unable to get up and more confused then ever. He called the paramedics and they took him to the hospital. They think he has AML (leukemia) and is in a serious Leukemic Blast situation . He probably will not make it. Why I am telling all of you in a dog forum this is that Phoenix that sweet deaf vision limited dog I rehomed with my parents seemed to know something was wrong. Even last time I was down she seemed to need to keep an eye on my dad and when my brother found my dad in bed Phoenix was right there laying on the bed next to him and refused to get off. She does not get up on the bed nor sleep on the bed with him. My brother had to pick her up and carry her outside so the paramedics could do their job as she refused to leave my dad.

It leaves me thinking if only dogs could talk as I do believe that she sensed something was wrong even weeks ago yet she had no way to tell any one. I am so touched by the fact that she got up in bed with him and stayed there as if my brother had not gone to check on him he may have died and yes it would be comforting to have known that she was there at his side.

I have always felt when dogs do something unusual maybe we should pay better attention and try to figure out why as countless dogs have saved humans by this alerting them to medical problems. If only they could speak our language......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 PM

16,180 posts, read 25,165,125 times
Despite that fact that your Dad is so ill (and I'm sooooo sorry to hear that; it breaks my heart), this is a beautiful story.

I completely agree -- our dogs would have such long tales (no pun intended) to tell, things that we don't even ourselves know, or don't know until much later.

I'm so happy that Phoenix was there with your Dad. I'm sure that in such a terrifying state, Phoenix must have been a huge comfort to him.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 15,980,574 times
so sorry to hear about your dad, dashdog.....

but so happy that phoenix was there with him, doing her very best for him.....

sending hugs from st. louis.....

Old 10-12-2010, 01:30 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,295,127 times
I'm so sorry about your dad. Phoenix, I believe, knew there was something wrong. Animals are special that way. As DandJ said, I'm sure Phoenix was a huge comfort to him. I could only wish the same if it were me.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 AM

4,504 posts, read 9,505,681 times
I want to say Thanks to everyone. Sadly my dad died about an hour after I got to the hospital

I had to stop at his house first to leave my dogs and Phoenix greeted me and in a very Lassie fashion wanted me to follow her and she lead me to my dad's bedroom and kept looking at the bed then looking back at me. don't know if she was telling me something was wrong or asking how he was but it was clear she was thinking about him

I am so glad she was here with him. Dogs are so amazing and I often think they are far superior to humans in so many ways.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 AM

16,180 posts, read 25,165,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I want to say Thanks to everyone. Sadly my dad died about an hour after I got to the hospital

I had to stop at his house first to leave my dogs and Phoenix greeted me and in a very Lassie fashion wanted me to follow her and she lead me to my dad's bedroom and kept looking at the bed then looking back at me. don't know if she was telling me something was wrong or asking how he was but it was clear she was thinking about him

I am so glad she was here with him. Dogs are so amazing and I often think they are far superior to humans in so many ways.

Noooooooo!!!! I'm so, so, SO sorry!

I have no words, Jan. I don't know what to say beyond how sorry I am.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,830,635 times
I am so sorry about your Dad. I do think dogs have their own special way of communicating with us if only we would tune in more often. I agree dogs are amazing beings. I am glad that Phoenix was there with your Dad during his last hours. Condolences on your loss and ((HUGS))

Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,295,127 times
I'm so sorry about your dad. Phoenix is a special little girl, I believe she knew. My sympathies to you and your family.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,385,887 times
So sorry for your loss. ((hugs)) to you and Phoenix.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM

15,458 posts, read 29,012,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have always felt when dogs do something unusual maybe we should pay better attention and try to figure out why as countless dogs have saved humans by this alerting them to medical problems. If only they could speak our language......
I am very sorry to hear about your father.

People who are *very* tuned into their pets know that they sense things way in advance. I always know about 15 minutes before my husband gets home because "his" cat always goes to the official "greeting spot" directly in front of the door. She never sits there any other time except when he is on his way home. Now you may say that she hears the car, but from 10 miles away, that is kind of hard to believe.

Here is a great quote that just about says it all....

"We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth."
Henry Beston

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or