Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

I know sometimes it might be right to have to put down an aggressive dog, but, what if you are a backyard breeder and you are the one breeding these dogs? The dog in question was put down because it got out of hand after a new puppy was added though.....hmmm. Does that change anything or no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
I am confused...the dog in question was euthanized because it attacked one of its puppies? What kind of dog is this? More info please...

Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Sorry! The person had five dogs then bought another puppy and added it to her pack which didn't sit well with this one dog and it did attack the puppy. The attacker was one of her male Shibu Inus that she herself bred in her backyard kennel.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Sorry! The person had five dogs then bought another puppy and added it to her pack which didn't sit well with this one dog and it did attack the puppy. The attacker was one of her male Shibu Inus that she herself bred in her backyard kennel.

Sounds to me like someone with no understanding of doggy psychology who does not need to be breeding or owning dogs.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
My first instinct would never be to put down a dog. It would be to get a behaviorist and find out the root cause of what happened. Then, if something more serious was going on euthanization would be an option but not an easy one. There are a lot of reasons why dogs have issues with a new addition and it sounds like this lady not only should stop breeding, but should really find home for all her dogs because she doesn't know anything about dog behavior. I think most reasonable people know that you never introduce a new addition on another dogs territory - you go for neutral territory. But, if euthanization was something it sounds like she didn't hesitate with, it seems like the dogs were money makers and not family members. Sorry...but stuff like this just pisses me off. But, for anyone wondering that is an example of a bad breeder.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Why didn't she rehome the puppy instead of putting the other dog down?

Why is it so easy for some people to kill animals? They aren't disposable. But that's my idealistic side coming out here.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Why didn't she rehome the puppy instead of putting the other dog down?

Why is it so easy for some people to kill animals? They aren't disposable. But that's my idealistic side coming out here.
That is my thought...I think she just likes getting new dogs. It seems to me she puts dogs down really quick if they are at all sick and is all "broken up" about it and then gets a new puppy to cheer her up or breeds her dogs. She should have rehomed the puppy instead she has another pegnant dog....

Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
That is my thought...I think she just likes getting new dogs. It seems to me she puts dogs down really quick if they are at all sick and is all "broken up" about it and then gets a new puppy to cheer her up or breeds her dogs. She should have rehomed the puppy instead she has another pegnant dog....
That's a crappy mentality -- any sign of illness or a problem that costs anything, and it's time to put the animal down.

Sounds like she likes to collect dogs, and reality is a bit out of reach for her.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,627 times
This was totally the person's fault, and the dog who attacked the puppy probably wasn't in any way aggressive but perfectly normal. A pack of five dogs is a big deal -- that's a dynamic beyond the scope of most owners, especially with breeds like Shibu Inus. The attack on the puppy was pretty much predictable in any household that allows the dogs to establish their own ranking system. The best info I've seen on managing multiple dogs and introducing new dogs to resident ones is on Leerburg.com

Old 10-13-2010, 03:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sounds to me like someone with no understanding of doggy psychology who does not need to be breeding or owning dogs.
I completely agree. If any dog is put down because of "aggressive behavior" it is the incompetence of the dog owner and not the dog that is the problem. Those kind of idiots should never be allowed near a dog, much less own one. Maybe we should consider putting down the dog owner instead. It would improve the overall IQ of the entire human species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs