Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post

Noone in their right mind would rent a house to anyone with so many animals. We elected to stay in an RV in a bad part of town. Our pets came first. It was crowded, but it worked.

Here we are, years later, with 3 remaining in the original RV clan. No regrets.
And, that's great that it worked for you. That would not be feasible for many, I'm sure. I know of people who have been in the position where they have had to make contingency arrangements for their animals. It's sad, but not everyone can live like you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
And, that's great that it worked for you. That would not be feasible for many, I'm sure. I know of people who have been in the position where they have had to make contingency arrangements for their animals. It's sad, but not everyone can live like you did.
I understand truly extenuating circumstances.

However, two of the animals that came into our lives were from people that couldn't plan a move.
  • The cat was going to be taken to the pound because a relative didn't even try to find an apartment that accepted pets.
  • The dog came from a family member on a "temporary" basis, pending placement of a fence on their new property. When we callled to let them know we where moving and that we needed to bring the dog back to them, we were told the wife didn't want the dog back. So we inherited an untrained 90 pound dog and we figured out how to move with it.

People shouldn't get a pet if they aren't willing to try to offer a forever home.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I understand truly extenuating circumstances.

However, two of the animals that came into our lives were from people that couldn't plan a move.
  • The cat was going to be taken to the pound because a relative didn't even try to find an apartment that accepted pets.
  • The dog came from a family member on a "temporary" basis, pending placement of a fence on their new property. When we callled to let them know we where moving and that we needed to bring the dog back to them, we were told the wife didn't want the dog back. So we inherited an untrained 90 pound dog and we figured out how to move with it.
People shouldn't get a pet if they aren't willing to try to offer a forever home.
I agree...I truly feel for those who have no choice but to give up their pet..sometimes I realize people have no other option, but this is not the case with many of the ads on Craigslist...the ones that truly bother me are about rehoming puppies. Things like "Need to rehome my 3-4 month old puppy..dont have the time to give it the attention it needs or dont have the time to train it etc etc". Those ads that are for dogs under a year old truly bother me because they have only had the dog a matter of weeks to months...their situation has not changed, they just realized that cute cuddly puppy will take some work..those people did not fully think through getting a pet and that truly bothers me

Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
I agree...I truly feel for those who have no choice but to give up their pet..sometimes I realize people have no other option, but this is not the case with many of the ads on Craigslist...the ones that truly bother me are about rehoming puppies. Things like "Need to rehome my 3-4 month old puppy..dont have the time to give it the attention it needs or dont have the time to train it etc etc". Those ads that are for dogs under a year old truly bother me because they have only had the dog a matter of weeks to months...their situation has not changed, they just realized that cute cuddly puppy will take some work..those people did not fully think through getting a pet and that truly bothers me
I agree Jordan; they figured out it does take a little work to raise a puppy. Another thing that REALLY bothers me are the number of really OLD dogs that people want to get rid of. 13, 14, 15 - these dogs have lived out practically their entire lives and are dumped like yesterday's garbage.

Sad.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'd never judge anyone. I don't know how they got the animal in the first place, maybe they just started feeding a stray or were adopted by the animal or took it from someone else. Life throws curves at us, and sometimes a pet just doesn't fit into the equation anymore. I see it on the state forums all the time, people moving, relocating, downsizing, whatever...and can't find anyplace to rent with their two big dogs that have had a nice yard to run in up until now.

Feel heartbroken if you must, but feel bad for the humans involved to since you don't know what they have gone through to get to the point of having to give up their pet. And if a new home is found then I don't see a problem anyway, animals are more than adaptable to change. No matter how much we love them it's really NOT the same as giving your 7 year old child away. Really.
Well, since I have no human children, for me it is. I took on the responsibility of pet ownership and feel the need to see it through to the end.

Now, if I have to move to another COUNTRY for a job, that may change the equation. I've even thought of packing up the pets and heading out in a little camper to look for work. Of course, I'm a nervous Nellie driving so not sure how that would work out.

Point is - there ARE reasons that someone might have to give up pets, although that is sure not my intention and I don't see it happening. And I know you acknowledged this and I agree. Still, pets are like children for some.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times
Default Doghouse for sale...buy now and we'll include a dog at no additional charge

Very Nice Dog House (http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/pet/2202308458.html - broken link)

Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post

Very Nice Dog House (http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/pet/2202308458.html - broken link)

People can be just unbelievable.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
i have had pets before i had kids, have them now (and oh boy a LOT lol), and will continue to have them AFTER i have kids.... sigh....

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Well, I agree w/ most everyone. But one good thing about CL, I found Jasper, who needed a home. He is not a kitten, he is an adult cat, who knows his whole story...but he has a home now for the rest of his life, no matter where I move, or whatever...he won't be on CL again.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post

Heartbreaking what a sad world we live in and animals are so innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs