Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,262,759 times

Advertisements

I have a sweet little King Charles Cavalier. He is 1 year old...

But he has a problem! He loves to chew on everything! The wall. The floor. The lamp. The glass table. EVERYTHING! I just caught him chewing a huge gash into our hardwood floor in the study. I'll probably have to replace the floor in there now... Also, it is dangerous because he swallows everything he finds. Or tries to, so I have to watch him like a hawk at all times. We don't have anything on the floor, but that doesn't stop him from trying to rip up the carpet, or eat the couch cushions. And yes, he likes to try to eat the drywall in our house (literally, he sinks his teeth into the walls...)

Here he is in a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi1bgvQwkyM

I give him lots of attention. How can I get him to stop chewing on everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,833,493 times
I crate train my dogs. I have Tzu's that range in age from 3 to 6 years and they are all crate trained.

I had a lab at one point in time that destroyed much of my home. She ate two stuffed chairs (ok huge parts of the chairs) and would set out to rip the house to shreds each and every time we'd leave her. Couldn't leave her in the house, couldn't leave her outside. It was horrible.

My Tzu's all are told to go to bed at night or if we leave and they head right in and one in particular will go lay by his kennel at night ready to go in before we ever say a word. They are kept in if we are gone or at night and they tend to feel safe there now and if it storms or whatever might scare them, they head for the crate.

Training now or things may not ever improve.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 AM

8 posts, read 66,494 times
I watched that it me or the dog show one time and they had a dog on there that ate everything like your dog did even had to have multi surgeries. Anyways what they did on there was take him for two, thirty min walks everyday. I might be wrong and i know you say you give him lots of attention, but if i had to guess i would say he is eatting everything because he is getting bored.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,949,464 times
OH.........he is so cute! What I wouldn't give to have that kind of energy!

I picked up a stray dog once, he looked like a small yellow lab mostly. About 55 lbs. The vet said he was about a year old.

He tore up the ottoman, curtains, ripped the carpet off of the cat pole, tore up the cushions of two kitchen chairs........ya know........the kind on wheels, saddleback.......OMG........I would give anything if I could have THAT on video! I can just picture him rolling those chairs all over the kitchen as he was trying to destroy them! He chewed the corners on my kitchen cupboards too, they are still like that. Now, when I look at them, they make me smile remembering.

Anyway, I started to leave empty boxes all over the house for him to chew up. I know.......... the professionals say to never do this, but I did and it worked. Empty cereal boxes, kleenex boxes and huge boxes that I brought home from work {they were almost as big as he was}.

Every night, when I came home from work, I cleaned up ripped up cardboard instead of ripped up furnitue.

A few months later, he just stopped..............something clicked and he grew up.

He was one of my best dogs ever.

He passed away on Jan. 2, 2009 at the age of 16.

I would give anything if I had him back to rip up some more furniture.

His name was Max.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
could it be that he is teething? he may require more chew toys and more avenues to release energy

Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 AM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
OH.........he is so cute! What I wouldn't give to have that kind of energy!

I picked up a stray dog once, he looked like a small yellow lab mostly. About 55 lbs. The vet said he was about a year old.

He tore up the ottoman, curtains, ripped the carpet off of the cat pole, tore up the cushions of two kitchen chairs........ya know........the kind on wheels, saddleback.......OMG........I would give anything if I could have THAT on video! I can just picture him rolling those chairs all over the kitchen as he was trying to destroy them! He chewed the corners on my kitchen cupboards too, they are still like that. Now, when I look at them, they make me smile remembering.

Anyway, I started to leave empty boxes all over the house for him to chew up. I know.......... the professionals say to never do this, but I did and it worked. Empty cereal boxes, kleenex boxes and huge boxes that I brought home from work {they were almost as big as he was}.

Every night, when I came home from work, I cleaned up ripped up cardboard instead of ripped up furnitue.

A few months later, he just stopped..............something clicked and he grew up.

He was one of my best dogs ever.

He passed away on Jan. 2, 2009 at the age of 16.

I would give anything if I had him back to rip up some more furniture.

His name was Max.
Annie, that sounds just like our sweetheart GSD mix. She chewed her way through a couch, and would probably have gone through the drywall if she hadn't started focusing on cardboard boxes, so we just left boxes out for her. She'd dismantle a huge appliance box in no time! But after the first 1 1/2 year she stopped chewing, and her cardboard fixation got channeled into chewing tubes from paper towels which we saved up for her. We put milkbones inside them, closed off the ends, and she'd be happily occupied munching on cardboard and milkbones. And I suspect that the cardboard/paper fetish also enabled her to recognize and open gift boxes, so we had a ball on birthdays and Christmas where she would get her own wrapped gift, and unwrap it. She never "unwrapped" anyone else's gift, but she always knew there'd be one for her! And she knew the words, "Find your present!" She was the beating heart of our little family for 12 years, and we still miss her, after almost 4 years...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Crate and training. We adopted a small beagle mix that destroys hardcore chews designed for huge dogs in seconds...very aggressive chewer...he destroyed laptop cords, would topple the hamper and rip clothing to shreds, gnawed through two down comforters, a set of bamboo rayon sheets, chewed the legs up on our dining room table, and countless other issues.

Because he's high energy, we've always done the "tire him out" thing. A 45-min long walk at 6 a.m., one again at 4:30-5 p.m., and usually one before bed if he still has energy to spare. But other than give him lots of time to poop, I can honestly say that this really never did cut down on any of the behavioral issues or destructiveness...for us, "a tired dog is a good dog" is pretty much a useless adage. A tired dog can still be a bored dog, and that's what ours turned into if he didn't have the undivided attention of his people, and a bored dog, even a tired one, will find ways to entertain himself. Obedience training helped us get him more settled when we aren't actively engaged with him or home.

Crating when supervision isn't possible and small-group obedience training helped to calm him down (although he'll still go after the clothes hamper if he can get at it).

Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,878,106 times
He'll outgrow it. In the meantime, I would keep him crated unless I was supervising him.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,677,064 times
Our big male Mastiff has separation problems and when he was a year old my husband and I stepped out to the front yard to pluck some weeds and kept hearing a scratching noise. Went back in 30 min later and my dog had chewed a head sized hole clear to the backing of the stucco. He wanted out with us. He is over it now.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,325,280 times
Crated while not supervised, that dog needs way more exercise than you are providing - so lots of walks, enroll in an obedience class - the dog needs direction and you need some training.

ALL puppies are little wild woman and men, they need good training to direct their ADD and they need lots of exercise not just a romp in the back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs