Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,424,220 times

Advertisements

The people a few houses down just got a puppy last week. He's an adorable little black lab who can't be more than 4 or 5 months old.

Every single day they put him outside (no fenced yard, he's just turned loose to wander) in the morning when they leave and he's outside, on his own, until someone comes home at night. Sometimes he's out for 12 -14 hours. He doesn't have any tags and, probably, doesn't have all of his vaccinations. He runs around the neighborhood all day, annoying people and getting the other dogs all wound up. I just had to bring my three inside because he kept running along my fence and my guys were starting to bark.

Let's just say that the people who own the puppy are from a different country and a different culture. English is not their first language and they see absolutely no problem with what they're doing. But, it is a big problem. Not only for the safety of the puppy, but because he's such a PITA. Obviously, he's not getting any training at all. He's adorable, but he's a major nuisance, all day, every day.

We have no animal control here. I don't understand why these people even got a puppy and I can't even imagine treating him like they do. Any suggestions for how to handle this? I have to admit, I've considered taking him to the shelter in hopes that having to pay the fine to bail him out might send the owners a message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,500,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
The people a few houses down just got a puppy last week. He's an adorable little black lab who can't be more than 4 or 5 months old.

Every single day they put him outside (no fenced yard, he's just turned loose to wander) in the morning when they leave and he's outside, on his own, until someone comes home at night. Sometimes he's out for 12 -14 hours. He doesn't have any tags and, probably, doesn't have all of his vaccinations. He runs around the neighborhood all day, annoying people and getting the other dogs all wound up. I just had to bring my three inside because he kept running along my fence and my guys were starting to bark.

Let's just say that the people who own the puppy are from a different country and a different culture. English is not their first language and they see absolutely no problem with what they're doing. But, it is a big problem. Not only for the safety of the puppy, but because he's such a PITA. Obviously, he's not getting any training at all. He's adorable, but he's a major nuisance, all day, every day.

We have no animal control here. I don't understand why these people even got a puppy and I can't even imagine treating him like they do. Any suggestions for how to handle this? I have to admit, I've considered taking him to the shelter in hopes that having to pay the fine to bail him out might send the owners a message.
Do you have a humane society where you are? Perhaps you could call the police to give the owners a warning. If your shelter is a no kill shelter and the owners will not take the proper precautions with him I would take him to the shelter and let them pay the fines. It is not fair to the puppy to allow this not to mention just plain dangerous. He needs a proper home.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,620,294 times
Does your area have a shelter where the person must pay to retreive their pet? If so, grab the bugger and haul it off to the shelter. tell the shelter you found it in the middle of the street, almost hit it with your car, and give that address as the closest address to where y\iou found it. leave a quick unsigned note on their property that they dog may have been squished by a car while running free and you think it was taken to the shelter. make them have to pay to get it back. If they don't, a puppy is easly adopted from shelters.,

Or grab the dog and bring it miles away to some other shelter and give them some nearby street of the shelter as where you found it. hopefully it will get a proper home. But leave a note on the property saying you ran over the dog, it's inners popped out and its suffuring. say your going to drive to the vet but if it dies on the way, you'll make sure its disposed of in the trash.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Do you have a humane society where you are? Perhaps you could call the police to give the owners a warning. If your shelter is a no kill shelter and the owners will not take the proper precautions with him I would take him to the shelter and let them pay the fines. It is not fair to the puppy to allow this not to mention just plain dangerous. He needs a proper home.
The county shelter is a no kill shelter. You're right about this not being fair to the puppy. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll end up seriously injured or dead if this continues. He's adorable and friendly and, being a puppy, should be easy to adopt out if the owners don't want to pay the fine to retrieve him. Unfortunately, their culture views dogs as nothing more than property, so they really don't get it.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
The county shelter is a no kill shelter. You're right about this not being fair to the puppy. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll end up seriously injured or dead if this continues. He's adorable and friendly and, being a puppy, should be easy to adopt out if the owners don't want to pay the fine to retrieve him. Unfortunately, their culture views dogs as nothing more than property, so they really don't get it.
Well then I would just gather him up and haul him off to the shelter he deserves a good home. He deserves a chance. I know you will do the right thing by him.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,910,781 times
I would certainly feel better about taking the pup to a shelter then to find him dead in the street.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Bummer. I called the shelter and they're full. They can't take anyone in right now. There's a no kill shelter across the state line in Wyoming, but I know they only accept animals from that county, due to funding. As a last resort, I guess I could say I found him over there as a stray. I hate to do that, but the little guy needs to be off the street. I wish I could afford a 4th dog. I'd take him.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Bummer. I called the shelter and they're full. They can't take anyone in right now. There's a no kill shelter across the state line in Wyoming, but I know they only accept animals from that county, due to funding. As a last resort, I guess I could say I found him over there as a stray. I hate to do that, but the little guy needs to be off the street. I wish I could afford a 4th dog. I'd take him.
Can you take him in until you find him a home? Is there a rescue group in your area one besides the shelter. If worse comes to worse I would go ahead and take him across the state line. Whatever it takes to get the little guy off the street. I for one appreciate your effort and the fact that you care enough to help this precious animal. Your reward will be that he gets placed in a loving and caring home so THANK YOU

Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 PM

113 posts, read 192,520 times
This is so sad but unfortunately, they would probably just get another puppy if this one suddenly went missing. It's a difficult situation for you.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:05 PM

I'm concerned about being accused of stealing the dog. It's not like the people give a crap about him, but he is their "property". And, honestly, I'm concerned about retaliation. I guess my best bet is to do like you suggested and call the sheriff in the morning. I know the puppy will be out again so maybe the sheriff can swing by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs