Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

I'm going to get some heat on the yorkie forum for the spray collar. But, Westies are made of a little tougher stuff than yorkies.

Things that work on Lucy, such as pennies in a can, Ringo just laughs at. He has more of a mind of his own than Lucy. Lucy is more fragile and I probably would not use the collar on her.

I think the collar works and I don't think it's terribly cruel; especially when they figure it out so quickly and it's on them for only a short time each day.

Ringo had dog aggression while on a leash; and I'm not sure the spray collar would have worked for that. It might just have made him madder or more aggressive when we passed another dog. He might have associated the approaching dog with something unpleasant (lemon spritz) and gotten even more aggressive with the passing dogs.

One thing that worked for his leash aggression is that when we saw another dog approaching; I would distract him with a treat. That did two things - it took his mind off the approaching dog; and he began to associate the presence of an approaching dog - with something pleasant, like a treat. That really helped his leash walking. I still have to maintain focus when I'm walking him with a lot of other dogs around. I keep him at a heel; keep him focused on me; keep myself focused on moving forward without incident ~ and we pass by with no problems.

If I lose my focus (such as talking on a cell phone), all bets are off when a strange dog gets close.

Gawd that was wordy! Anyhoo, that's what worked for Ringo during our walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
As far as I'm concerned, if it's working for Artie the Beast, it's a miracle and *should* work for ANY dog. (I know that's not logical, but I'm in total awe that it works on Artie-face.)

If you do get one for your Westie, make sure that she's not too close to the other human or dog -- you don't want THEM to get sprayed too for HER barking. (Although, that's a pretty funny scenario, if you think about it. )
Thanks, to be honest I wouldn't mind a bit if some of these dogs here got sprayed, humans too

Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm going to get some heat on the yorkie forum for the spray collar. But, Westies are made of a little tougher stuff than yorkies.

Things that work on Lucy, such as pennies in a can, Ringo just laughs at. He has more of a mind of his own than Lucy. Lucy is more fragile and I probably would not use the collar on her.

I think the collar works and I don't think it's terribly cruel; especially when they figure it out so quickly and it's on them for only a short time each day.

Ringo had dog aggression while on a leash; and I'm not sure the spray collar would have worked for that. It might just have made him madder or more aggressive when we passed another dog. He might have associated the approaching dog with something unpleasant (lemon spritz) and gotten even more aggressive with the passing dogs.

One thing that worked for his leash aggression is that when we saw another dog approaching; I would distract him with a treat. That did two things - it took his mind off the approaching dog; and he began to associate the presence of an approaching dog - with something pleasant, like a treat. That really helped his leash walking. I still have to maintain focus when I'm walking him with a lot of other dogs around. I keep him at a heel; keep him focused on me; keep myself focused on moving forward without incident ~ and we pass by with no problems.

If I lose my focus (such as talking on a cell phone), all bets are off when a strange dog gets close.

Gawd that was wordy! Anyhoo, that's what worked for Ringo during our walks.
Ringo, that's what my Westie suffers from or to put it another way that's what I suffer from because I am the one that suffers when she starts her Cujo trip. I have tried the treat thing and it did work for a while. One day I forgot to put treats in my pocket and all bets were off. Also it just dawned on me that I take both the big guy and her on walks together now the big guy is so laid back it isn't funny he's my doofus..never met a stranger or a strange dog. I am thinking that I should maybe just take her by herself and do the training..yep that's it duh what was I thinking??

Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
I am reviving this thread for a few reasons. One, I've noticed a lot more 'barking dog' threads people are having issues with because their neighbor's dogs are barking. Two, it's getting nice out now in the midwest and backyard squirrel patrol is in full swing. Three, I bought one.

First, I have to say I have an obnoxious min pin when it came to squirrels and the back yard and was forced to close the dog door which also affected the other two dogs I have. Within the same day I put this collar on him it WORKED!!! I can now leave the door open for them to go in and out 24/7. Honestly, I never thought I'd get this under control and think these are the best inventions by the pet industry in a long time. (I got it brand new on e-bay for 1/2 the price from everywhere)

For people who have neighbors with barking dogs, get yourself some brochures on the collar and some on dog doors and just mail those to them with no return address. At least you are handing them something they can consider. My next door neighbors would have benefited greatly with a dog door because the dog only barked relentlessly when it wanted back into the house. I sent them the brochures and I haven't heard a peep out of him over there.

For anyone who is considering this method - I can't say enough good about it.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I am reviving this thread for a few reasons. One, I've noticed a lot more 'barking dog' threads people are having issues with because their neighbor's dogs are barking. Two, it's getting nice out now in the midwest and backyard squirrel patrol is in full swing. Three, I bought one.

First, I have to say I have an obnoxious min pin when it came to squirrels and the back yard and was forced to close the dog door which also affected the other two dogs I have. Within the same day I put this collar on him it WORKED!!! I can now leave the door open for them to go in and out 24/7. Honestly, I never thought I'd get this under control and think these are the best inventions by the pet industry in a long time. (I got it brand new on e-bay for 1/2 the price from everywhere)

For people who have neighbors with barking dogs, get yourself some brochures on the collar and some on dog doors and just mail those to them with no return address. At least you are handing them something they can consider. My next door neighbors would have benefited greatly with a dog door because the dog only barked relentlessly when it wanted back into the house. I sent them the brochures and I haven't heard a peep out of him over there.

For anyone who is considering this method - I can't say enough good about it.
I know we talked about this outside of this thread but, once again, I want to say: I'm so thrilled for you!!!!! YAY!!!!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Yes, I have to thank Dawn for her insight and helping me make the decision to finally do it before I spent the money on it.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes, I have to thank Dawn for her insight and helping me make the decision to finally do it before I spent the money on it.
I didn't need the thanks... I'm just so happy that it worked for your pup. Then again, if it worked for Barkin' Farkin' Artie, it was pretty much guaranteed that it would work for any dog.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
But Artie doesn't bark!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
But Artie doesn't bark!
Love turned you deaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs