Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,331,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I also had gotten the remote citronella collar for Jazz to teach her that when I called she must come.
A remote citronella collar? Details please such as brand and where purchased? I have never seen these and I could use help with the "come" command.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,976,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Dawn, that's exactly what I do and why I said I use it sparingly. This morning, the dog wanted to go out at 5AM (grrrr!). So I put the collar on (even though there aren't squirrels running around that early) and no bark. Even at 7:30 when squirrels are all over, she won't bark with the collar on. But if I leave the collar off at 7:30, she will scream like a banshee. I also time the morning outing (with her collar) with the reward of "breakfast" after she does her business. So she's very happy and waiting to come inside, even with the squirrel activity going on.

She completely associates the collar with getting sprayed, and she won't bark with it on. But I don't push my luck. After 9AM, I do not put the collar on, and she barks. As much as I can't stand her screaming at the squirrels, I let her do it for short periods of time (i.e., no collar) during the daytime.

The guy who lives behind me is kind of neurotic about dogs barking, but I figure all's fair after 9AM and until 9PM as long as she doesn't bark for more than just a few minutes (like less than 5).

I am so glad it's working and hope it continues! It's a godsend for me and I do trust it now. I do think that if it put it on her all the time, she might start to ignore it. But I won't test that theory since it's serving its purpose.

And a random comment...I wish squirrels hibernated!!!!!! I have lots of oak trees and my yard is a sea of acorns. The squirrels are everywhere: on the ground, on the fence, above in the trees jumping around. I don't think she will ever get used to them. She's extremely sight and prey driven and she squeals at a pitch that is awful! I wish I could train her to ignore them.
I could have written your exact post, word for word!

Well, except for the part about associating the collar with being sprayed. We're not there yet. In Artie's defense, I haven't been using it because we've been walking in the early morning. But I will say that after a couple of sprays, he's quiet afterwards, for the length of time that he's out there.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,572,012 times
Quote:
A remote citronella collar? Details please such as brand and where purchased? I have never seen these and I could use help with the "come" command.

I bought mine years ago directly from ABS but I know if you do an internet search for ABS remote citronella collars you will get alot of hits from places that sell them now. They were pretty new when I got mine and the people at ABS were very helpful.

I will remind you that Jazz did know what "come" meant and most of the time did just that but it was those times she did decided she could pretend she did not hear me and look the other direction as what ever she was doing was too exciting that she disobeyed but if she looked at me she came everytime. Which is why I went with the collar as in Obedience classes the instructors always said " I don't see a problem she has a beautiful recall" Because she was fear aggressive and starting to have issues with other dogs she had to learn to come 100% . They suggested a shock collar but because she is a fearful dog that did not sound like a good idea to me. As tough as she wants the world to think she is she is really a delicate flower and very sensitive to any corrections. The words bad dog make mer crumble.

The secret is not letting them see the remote so they do not connect you with the spray. Those darn squirrels would spray Jazz and when she came back to me we would party so coming to me meant only good things and not listening to me meant squirrels would attack with the spray

as I said I then used it to get rid of other behaviors and Jazz is a chicken so yea the spray frightened her so she paid attention as she did not like the spray at all. Dash on the other hand seemed to not mind the spray

Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,001,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I bought mine years ago directly from ABS but I know if you do an internet search for ABS remote citronella collars you will get alot of hits from places that sell them now. They were pretty new when I got mine and the people at ABS were very helpful.

I will remind you that Jazz did know what "come" meant and most of the time did just that but it was those times she did decided she could pretend she did not hear me and look the other direction as what ever she was doing was too exciting that she disobeyed but if she looked at me she came everytime. Which is why I went with the collar as in Obedience classes the instructors always said " I don't see a problem she has a beautiful recall" Because she was fear aggressive and starting to have issues with other dogs she had to learn to come 100% . They suggested a shock collar but because she is a fearful dog that did not sound like a good idea to me. As tough as she wants the world to think she is she is really a delicate flower and very sensitive to any corrections. The words bad dog make mer crumble.

The secret is not letting them see the remote so they do not connect you with the spray. Those darn squirrels would spray Jazz and when she came back to me we would party so coming to me meant only good things and not listening to me meant squirrels would attack with the spray

as I said I then used it to get rid of other behaviors and Jazz is a chicken so yea the spray frightened her so she paid attention as she did not like the spray at all. Dash on the other hand seemed to not mind the spray

wonder if this is a heeler thing ..... bailey is the EXACT same way......

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,487,256 times
Quote:
Dawn, that's exactly what I do and why I said I use it sparingly. This morning, the dog wanted to go out at 5AM (grrrr!). So I put the collar on (even though there aren't squirrels running around that early) and no bark. Even at 7:30 when squirrels are all over, she won't bark with the collar on. But if I leave the collar off at 7:30, she will scream like a banshee. I also time the morning outing (with her collar) with the reward of "breakfast" after she does her business. So she's very happy and waiting to come inside, even with the squirrel activity going on.

She completely associates the collar with getting sprayed, and she won't bark with it on. But I don't push my luck. After 9AM, I do not put the collar on, and she barks. As much as I can't stand her screaming at the squirrels, I let her do it for short periods of time (i.e., no collar) during the daytime.

The guy who lives behind me is kind of neurotic about dogs barking, but I figure all's fair after 9AM and until 9PM as long as she doesn't bark for more than just a few minutes (like less than 5).

I am so glad it's working and hope it continues! It's a godsend for me and I do trust it now. I do think that if it put it on her all the time, she might start to ignore it. But I won't test that theory since it's serving its purpose.

And a random comment...I wish squirrels hibernated!!!!!! I have lots of oak trees and my yard is a sea of acorns. The squirrels are everywhere: on the ground, on the fence, above in the trees jumping around. I don't think she will ever get used to them. She's extremely sight and prey driven and she squeals at a pitch that is awful! I wish I could train her to ignore them.
Amen sister with regard to the squirrels! The older couple in back of me have some tree branches that hang over my fenced yard. They have all kind of squirrel feeders and the squirrels drive Ringo insane. Guaranteed to start off a barkfest. Sigh.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,269,021 times
I don't get it. When we have to let our dogs out early in the morning (bc we have to leave and one of us can't wait till 7:30 or 8am to do it), we walk them so we can control their barking (instead of just letting them outside in the yard).

Old 11-06-2010, 04:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,001,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't get it. When we have to let our dogs out early in the morning (bc we have to leave and one of us can't wait till 7:30 or 8am to do it), we walk them so we can control their barking (instead of just letting them outside in the yard).
d walks artie like that and for that reason..... BUT she has been seeing a coyote on some of those pre-dawn walks....... if i saw a coyote like that i would want to wait until daylight to walk artie, as well........

Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
d walks artie like that and for that reason..... BUT she has been seeing a coyote on some of those pre-dawn walks....... if i saw a coyote like that i would want to wait until daylight to walk artie, as well........
Stan, it's exactly like LTTP said -- it's all because of the coyote(s) roaming around before it's light out. I have no problem walking Artie before the sun comes up -- we're typically awake at around 5.00am anyway -- but after the third coyote spotting at a house length or two away from us, I'm scared! By the way, it's almost 7.30am as I'm typing this and it's still dark outside. Who knows if and how many coyotes are out there... (We've already gone for our walk and have returned, though, so it doesn't matter right now.)

Artie gets lots of walks. First thing in the morning, later in the morning, noon, early afternoon, late afternoon, before bed. (OMG! That's a lot!) And that's in addition to his access (when I open the door, that is... which is whenever he wants) to the backyard. He's not lacking, I promise you that.

It's just that even with pepper spray and an air horn, I've become coyote-shy.

That said -- and even though the citronella collar seems to work (although we've only tried it 2-3 times) -- I haven't let him out early in the morning. I've been pocketing my fear and walking him. I hope that fearlessness doesn't come back one day to bite me, no pun intended!

So it's not for lack of wanting to... it's all because of the fear.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:34 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,269,021 times
That's scary! Especially if they are wandering in packs.

We actually just walk our dogs in the back yard...LOL...when we are monitoring their barking.

Can you do that? That way he and you will be safe.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
That's scary! Especially if they are wandering in packs.

We actually just walk our dogs in the back yard...LOL...when we are monitoring their barking.

Can you do that? That way he and you will be safe.
I heard that there's trouble if they're in packs (even two will do), but so far, we've been "lucky" -- it's only been a lone one. I'd love to know if it's the same coyote all three times or if it's three different coyotes. Maybe I should put a collar on the next one so that I can tell? HAHA!

You walk them in your backyard?! Brilliant! I love that!

My only problem is that when I open the back door, Artie shoots down the stairs like a man on fire. He's always so excited to be in his backyard, even if he was just out there five minutes before. If I were at the other end of a leash, I'd bounce down those stairs, behind him, on my face! Same thing if we would go out the front door and around the house -- he'd see the fence and would go crazy with excitement that he's about to HAVE! FUN! IN! THE! BACK! YARD! WEEEEEEE! And he'd pull me to within an inch of my life.

I typically don't let him out back before 9.00am. A bit later, even, on weekends. But I think, at about 8.30am today (or maybe tomorrow, I'll see), I'll test the citronella collar again. Just for "fun." I've been avoiding it just because I know that Artie doesn't like the shpritz, but that's the whole point, so I'd better get over it. It's not like it's hurting him. What is it that parents tell their kids before the kid gets a needle at the doctor? "It hurts me more [to see you suffer] than it hurts you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs