Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times

Advertisements

Beesley weighs anywhere from 19-22 pounds on any given vet visit. He could probably use a few more pounds on his little frame, but the vet has never told me to feed him more, so he'll stay the same for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Tigre my Fila Brasileiro weighs about 130lbs. Sasha the Belgian Malinois pup is about 62lbs at 6.5mos of age. Mommadog the Akita/Chow weighs about 65lbs.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I love Boerboels. They're so beautiful.

My 9-year-old neutered male Siberian Husky is a fit and trim 72 pounds.
He is the friendliest guy you'll ever meet, with a tongue that can lick both sides of your face at the same time. He doesn't just wag his tail, he wags his entire body! He is always a happy camper.

Alaskan Huskies are smaller than Siberian Huskies. Blizzard thinks she is a GSD (her favorite playmate was a GSD before my friend had to put her down), but she is not as graceful or as big. What she lacks in stature she makes up for in enthusiasm.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What is a Boerboel ? I've never heard of it.
A Boerboel is also known as an South African Mastiff, which is a cross between an English Mastiff and a Bull Mastiff. Boerboels are not as big as English Mastiffs, but they are very muscular.

For more information, see Boerboel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Lady, our (almost) five year old diabetic Golden/Chow weighs in at a fit and trim 110 lbs. With an IQ higher than most people. And respect to equally measure.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Thanks, Glitch Looks like a Mastiff in a way. Is your dog a show dog~? Look like it in the photos.

I've never heard of the Belgian Malinois, what do they look like or are known for~?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Lena- 10 (ish)year old Alaskan husky female 106lbs
Sadie- 10 month old Husky/Shepherd mix approx 50lbs.

Yes. Lena is severly overweight. She belonged to my fiance before we got together and she had been living with his mother for several years as he had to move to an apartment that didn't take dogs. we got her back in March and she has dropped close to ten pounds. I feel it should be more, but the vets have said due to her age and overall health, we should go slowly. So she plays with the puppy, who we adopted when she was a little scrawny abandoned thing. Has worked out well for both of them so far, Lena is getting more excercise and the puppy is keeping her on her toes. Sadie is starting to fill out and Lena keeps her in line
Sadie will work off Lena's excess weight in no time. Sadie will extend Lena's life, even though Lena may complain more often. At least that was the case with my 9 year-old female Golden Retriever/Lab mix ("Shasta") when I got Blizzard at 8 weeks old. Shasta weighed around 100 pounds, and with in a year she lost 20 pounds. Instead of taking one stair at a time, Shasta was bounding up two steps at a time until the day she died at 13.5 years old. I am absolutely convinced that Blizzard (or any puppy) will extend an older dog's life just by keeping them more active.

Lena will also make training Sadie a lot easier. Sadie has an experienced companion to learn from.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Glitch Looks like a Mastiff in a way. Is your dog a show dog~? Look like it in the photos.
No, Buddy is not a show dog. I also did not crop his ears or bob his tail. He is also thinner than the Boerboels in the photo, but that is because he is only 3 years old. When he gets to about 5 years old he will fill out, like the photos. His head is already as big as it will get, thankfully.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A Boerboel is also known as an South African Mastiff, which is a cross between an English Mastiff and a Bull Mastiff. Boerboels are not as big as English Mastiffs, but they are very muscular.
No this is not true of the breed.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:

I've never heard of the Belgian Malinois, what do they look like or are known for~?
Belgian Malinois are similar in appearance to German Shepherds;

They're working dogs. Sometimes used in herding. These days they're more commonly used in protection, military, and law enforcement.

Sasha the pup is getting trained in protection and tracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs