Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times

Advertisements

Someone posted this on Facebook. What do ya'll think:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cnjpUBNCA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Someone posted this on Facebook. What do ya'll think:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cnjpUBNCA
Your link is dead unfortunately.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
I'll post it again, I guess I goofed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cnjpUBNCA

Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
I'm always skeptical of people who try to scare me into buying their product.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:50 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
No, it's not dead. Just one too many https in the address.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cnjpUBNCA

First part of the video was interesting, but not surprising. Many people on this forum have shared their experiences and recommendations for high-quality dog food - human grade stuff.

There's not much of an 'expose' about the vid. Read one book about our food supply, and you'll realize that it's pretty much the same standard of practice for our own foods; mass marketing rules over quality.

I've known breeders of Rotties, who have made their own dog food for years for just those reasons cited in the link. I'd never feed a dog food that was produced by giant corps. It's easy enough to cook your own.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
First part of the video was interesting, but not surprising. Many people on this forum have shared their experiences and recommendations for high-quality dog food - human grade stuff.

There's not much of an 'expose' about the vid. Read one book about our food supply, and you'll realize that it's pretty much the same standard of practice for our own foods; mass marketing rules over quality.

I've known breeders of Rotties, who have made their own dog food for years for just those reasons cited in the link. I'd never feed a dog food that was produced by giant corps. It's easy enough to cook your own.
And what does someone do when they travel and cannot cook or cannot take their dong and has to board? How is it possible to keep a dog on a "natural", raw, or home-cooked diet then?

I lost my last two lads to disease, one lymphoma and the other kidney failure. If I can keep my new pup from a similar fate many years down the road I'd like to. I'm wondering if cooking his own food or going "raw" is the way to a healthier dog. Mine were never ill until they became terminally ill, otherwise they enjoyed the best of health.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I'm curious to see which brands he recommends...
I do agree that most commercial dog food is crap, and as a result of this belief and because I'm always scared that even the premium brands may somehow get contaminated, I give my dogs VERY little in the kibble department...they get about 1/3 cup each per day, the rest of what they eat is either raw (human grade) or cooked by me or my mom (she loves her grandbabies...LOL!) Before I knew about proper diet (stupid me, I actually listened to my previous vet in the beginning and gave them Purina because she said it's an "excellent" food) they would have pretty regular bouts with diarrhea and would have days where I could tell they were just not feeling well. Now they rarely have loose stool (only happens when they get into something in the yard) and have a LOT more energy...their coats are much shinier and fuller too.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times
If you can share the recipes for a natural dog food diet, please do!

I've made my own catfood (natural raw food diet) for almost a year and the results are amazing.

I have researched for months for my dog but all of the recipes I find online contradict themselves.

Are dogs obligate carnivores? Can they have grains or fruit and veggies?

With cats it was easier, they are strictly carnivores.

I can't find any decent information on dogs anywhere. Help? I'd love to start this right away.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i agree with some points:
1: most comercial dogfood is junk...
2: a person needs to familiarize themselves with what is good and what is filler in a dogs diet and read lables...
avoid foods with grain as a first ingredient, corn is simply filler and by-product is the beaks, feet and feathers (and sometimes offal) ect

but i dont agree that you HAvE to home cook/raw feed for a food to be healthy. there are lots of high quality foods out there that are wonderfull kibbles.
if you have the time and space to feed raw, go for it...

cooking for your dog in my opinion is overrated...why? because its unnssicary...its nice if you have the time dont get me wrong...but raw is fine.

kat, dogs are omnivores, however they cannot properly digest vegatables due to the celulose in the walls, a wild canine gets all its vegatable matter in the form of partially digested vegie matter in the stomach of their prey...
the best way to get veggies/fruit in IF you decide you want to (when i do raw meals i dont bother with veggies...) then blend them to smitherines first, it destroys the celulose mimicing tha tpartially digested matter and makes it properly digestable.

berries howere this doesnt seem to apply to, as they digest blueberries without a problem lol.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Dramatic much? There are quite a few high-quality kibble brands out there (Orijen, Acana, Evo, Wellness Core come to mind).

I think people should be more concerned about what they put into their own bodies, since very few eat a proper diet! Human food (or should I say food products?) is killing you, your family and most likely your dog if you share. Instead of reading this guy's book, pick up a copy of "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It'll change your life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs