U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,354,039 times

Advertisements

My 14 year old dog has been on Proin for years, works well but she is getting older and I want to find something more "natural" for her to take . Has anyone ever tried any herbal treatments for urinary incontence, if so has it worked, any problems?
Just for anyone who does not know me, I don't get out of the exercise thread very often, my dog has been diagnosed years ago with this problem and has yearly vet check ups. I am interested in getting away from the prescription drugs that vets throw at you and am just wondering if the natural herbs work.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,087,387 times
I have a younger dog who has incontinence. I swear by Leaks No More. It's worked wonders for her. She went from 4 - 5 wetting accidents a day to maybe 1 or 2 a month. You start out giving higher doses and over a few weeks, drop the dosage down. We started at 10 drops 3x/day and now she just gets a maintenance dose if she has an accident. The only side effect has been a dry and happy pup.

HomeoPet - Leaks No More I usually find a pretty good price at Amazon.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:08 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,354,039 times
Thanks tdna!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:47 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,913,293 times
While I personally haven't tried Leaks No More, I am a huge fan of other of Homeopet's products and all the reports I've heard back about Leaks No More have been 100 + 10% positive.

Parsely is another one. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh per 50 lbs of body weight. There are articles available online about using it for this purpose as it's kind of counter-intuitive, ie, parsley is a diuretic.

However... please do check with your vet about taking the dog off Proin. As far as I was aware, it's not quite as straightforward as just stopping the meds. I had been told by a vet that once a dog is on it, the dog cannot come off it.... and as we have a younger incontinent dog (started by the time she was 5 or so), it's one reason I never put her on it. Regardless, it warrants checking.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
My ancient Shepherd mix (unknown age) pees in the morning when he pulls himself up from sleeping. Otherwise, he doesn't leak or have accidents. When I work my night shifts, I put on a "male wrap" from Dr. Foster&Smith with a human diaper inside for absorption. Take it off in the morning. It clearly is a stress incontinence. When I am home at night, he goes out an extra time or two and has no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or