Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times

Advertisements

Have ya'll ever seen that raw food diet in the fridge at your local pet store~? Our local store has had it for a while. I tried the medallians during his first year when we kept changing food. He loved it, but his poo stank to high heavens. Me not being a meat eater, was relucant about trying it. I took it back tho. I saw tonight that they had meat bones of bison or beef. I almost got one for Maxwell, but was undecided when I saw the red meat on the beef one. The bison bone didn't have any meat I could see. I also worried about him getting the bone portion caught in his throat. What do ya'll think about this~? Is it good or bad~? Lately, I am going to "Three Dog Bakery" to get him the rawhide bones that are more naturally made and healthier for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Rawhides are very dangerous, as they splinter. Raw bones do not splinter and are safe. Both of mine get raw bones and we've never had an issue.

As far as prepackaged raw goes, it's not really a raw diet but more like mush filled with unnecessary supplements and ingredients. Great marketing though, since it would cost me about $30/week to feed my almost 50 lb. dog! If you're truly interested in raw, doing it yourself it much more cost-effective.

Here is a list of reasons why you shouldn't feed pre-packaged raw.

Jane Anderson's - 10 reasons not to feed pre-made raw foods

Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
the key to recreation bones (the big heavy bones) is they are for knawing on, they need to be big enough that the dog cannot swallow it whole, the bone should be big enough to knaw on but they dont actually eat the bone, so it needs to be too big to get the whole thing in the mouth.
having the meat on is just more fun for the dog.
no dog should EVER be left unsupervised with a recreational bone however...

the problem with the raw diet is the same with any type of diet, they need time to adjust to it (which is likley why his poop stank when you first tried it) and with raw you need to start with easy to digest proteins (like chicken only) as the stomach needs time to adjust, which is part of the problem with the pre-made raw diets in the beginning, it tends to be too much too quikcly for a dog used to kibble.

mine get raw recreation bone once a week, i just buy soup bones from the grocers for about $1 for 4, but i have small dogs so dont need quite so large a bone. it works wonders on the teeth, my vet always comments on how nice my dogs teeth are and she insists i must brush them...but i never have, just good ole meaty bones... but they are never left alone with them...they get them untill they loose interest at which point rinsed and into the fridge. once all the marrow and that soft slippy feeling of the bone is gone the bones get tossed.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Quote:
Rawhides are very dangerous, as they splinter. Raw bones do not splinter and are safe. Both of mine get raw bones and we've never had an issue.
I posted this on another forum, not this one and someone told me this:

Regarding bison or beef bone, these are weight-bearing bones that are too dense for any dog's teeth, and moreso for a small toy breed. We call them 'wreck' bones, as they can break (and probably will) teeth of any sized dog.

I wasn't looking to put him on a raw diet, just for something to chew on. I guess I will stick to the natural rawhide bones that I get from "Three Dog Bakery", which comes in peanut butter or vanilla. He seems to like them and they are soft in comparison.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
I don't give mine weight bearing bones. They get turkey necks, backs, wings, etc. Marrow bones are great and keep their teeth clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs