U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 AM

18,868 posts, read 14,998,382 times
Default What words does your dog know?

I have always been interested in the vocabulary of dogs. Sam knew many words, and I believe he actually paid attention to conversations when we were talking about things, because if the word, WALK came out, or CAR, he was really excited. This is aside from the fav word, "cookie", he knows all the regular words, like "bad dog", "sit"..I am talking about words aside from those common ones

But he knew other words too, he knew the names of the kids, and when I asked him questions, he would do certian tasks around the house, like I would ask him, "Go find Jennifer" and he would go immediately to my daughter.

They say that dogs know about 200-300 words. Also, if your family is bi-lingual, does your dog know words in both languages? Sam could understand English and some words in Spanish, but not as well as English.

What words does your dog know? Does he pay attention to you when you talk?

Last edited by jasper12; 11-07-2010 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: edit
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM

29,990 posts, read 20,074,614 times
Just a 4 mo. old pup so he is learning. Right know he knows: cookie, sit, stay, bed, upstairs, outside, breakfast, dinner, ride.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 AM

12,281 posts, read 12,049,718 times
Here's Artie's vocabulary list. Some are obvious "dog words" and some are quite unique to Artie.

Obvious
  • Walk
  • Out
  • Backyard
  • Bone
  • Car
  • Upstairs/downstairs/living room
  • Bedtime
  • Supper (which means "breakfast" too)
  • Daddy
Not as obvious
  • Chicken
  • Liver
  • Your friends (he knows the two Labs around the corner as "your friends")
  • Lie down with me (he'll run from the farthest distance in the yard when I say "you want to lie down with me?," run into the house right into the living room to get a bone or a toy, and race downstairs into the guest room and onto the bed there, where we snuggle with each other)
  • Grace (she's the woman who cleans our house every two weeks and she's also the woman who babysits Artie sometimes; HE LOVES HER LIKE CRAZY! When I say her name, he runs upstairs to my office, jumps on the couch to look out the window, and turns his head to see if her car is in the driveway. If it is, he runs down two flights of stairs to the front door to greet her. If it's not, he looks at me as if to say, "You lied to me???" at which point I realize that I have to teach him what "tomorrow" means.)
  • Wipe the wheels (that's what I say when we come in from outside and I want to wipe his paws: "We have to wipe the wheels")
  • Blowdry (after we've been out in the rain or snow, I say "want a blowdry?" and he'll run up to my office where there's a blowdryer and his towel. He looooves the blowdryer and he loves when I wipe his face with the towel.)
I'm sure that there are more but I just realized how nutty Artie sounds (or is it me who sounds nutty??), so I'll stop.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 AM

1,790 posts, read 896,764 times
Our dog will be 5 years old in January, is diabetic and is almost completely blind. She still finds her stick in the water by following the commands - left, right, back, straight out, this way and right there. She most certainly 'understands' our conversations. She's done some very remarkable things that keeps me believing she 'understands'. She's SMART.

There's more but I believe one should get the idea.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 AM

5,049 posts, read 8,164,802 times
PC understands everything I say. I've been having regular conversations with him since he was a tiny puppy and I swear, he is just so in tune with me and understands what I tell him, regardless of which language I use! I love that dog.

MB? Nothing and I mean nothing can get through that head. The only time he responds to anything is when food is involved. Otherwise, you'd think he had some kind of mental disorder! Can't win them all!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM

7,377 posts, read 11,526,200 times
Our dog can be sound asleep and dead to the world, and if the word "Snack" is said in a normal tone, she is awake like a shot..!
I attribute it to survival instinct inherited from the wild animals. If they couldn't hear when they sleep, they would probably get eaten.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,314,047 times
We spell a lot at my house.

If you say "beach" you better be in your bathing suit with a towel in your hand, ready to go.

I can't say "barn" or "farm" unless I am heading there. Shadow knows if I put on jeans and my work boots we are going to the barn. Heaven help me if I just wanted to wear my boots.

"Breakfast" is a popular word around here. 1 dog and 3 cats know that one.

"Nap" is another favorite of all the critters.

"Prizes" means someone got a new toy.

All of the words in italics must be spelled.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 PM

8,039 posts, read 2,442,180 times
I am going to sound like a nut but I honestly think my dogs understand everything I say. When I am talking to the Westie she ***** her head from side to side like she is understanding exactly what I am saying. I guess the words that all 3 understand the most
cookie
outside
pinkle <this one is Ernies new buzz word it's the one I use to get his attention off the squirrels and to the business at hand thanks to all the good advice I got here I started saying that one word and it worked>

Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,858,199 times
I don't know how many WORDS Bandit knows. He definitely knows some sign language, and he reads my body language and facial expressions and tongue-clicks and other vocalizations.

He does seem to know COOKIE, and MEDICINE (mostly because MEDICINE is always followed by COOKIE), and WAIT (to get him to wait until he's giving a release), and BACKUP (to literally back up...out of the kitchen or away from the door), and JUMP-UP (onto the bed), and OFF (to spit out whatever is in his mouth).

And he responds to things like C'MON and LET'S GO, but I don't know if that's because he knows the words, or if its because I give him other clues.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:02 PM

16,976 posts, read 11,936,778 times
Hmmm....

Hungry (as in "are you hungry?" to which the answer is..."duh!")
Cookie
Car-ride
Walk
Potty
Off
No
Leave it
Sit
Down
Back
Wait
Slow
All-done
Come
Drop
and of course....Macie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs