Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,542 times

Advertisements

So I have a dacshund that has recently had spinal injury...
We learn that the surgery is going to cost 6k at low end, and 8k at high end....

We have the money....but my frugal mom decides not to have surgery(within 48 hours the best chance)....and now I am crying in tears.

My dog is in a lot of pain and will probably be crippled for the rest of his life and may even die.....She decided to take him home to not have medical bills piled up...
WTF sure my mom is a single mom and raising 2 kids....but she earns 80k a year and lives in a house thats at least 700k+....YET the stingy MOM wanting to save for HER RETIREMENT makes THAT DECISION.WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??
The dog was a sunlight in my world of darkness I had to live with while my mom was suffering from post divorce... SERIOUSLY...HOw does she even compare money with life??
I am wanting to move out ASAP...I cant believe the person my Mom has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
You probably have no idea how much money this is. The salary and value of the house doesn't matter, there is probably a huge mortgage that needs to be paid, etc. Why don't YOU get a job and pay for it? Actually, the way you write this story makes me doubt the whole thing.

I'm sorry for you doggie but there isn't an unlimited amount of money in a household and she probably wants to reserve her money to live, or to pay for YOUR healthcare.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 PM

ROFL, no we have no loans. My dad paid for the house in CASH.
I have a job but Im also a student.... I cant frickin believe it. I guess ur one of those people lost themselves with money. Life is priceless. Moderator cut: language

Last edited by Keeper; 11-08-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
first off, your mother is under NO obligation to pay vet bills for YOUR dog. if this is truly your dog, you're responsible for any and all vet bills. From your past posts, I get the impression that you're an older teen/early 20's. if so, welcome to adulthood, tough decisions lie ahead that you'll need to take of yourself.

second, a $8,000 vet bill is a huge amount for many people. There are people out there that will gladly pay this for their pet, but your mother may not be one of them. and maybe you'er not thinking rationally enough to do the math, but an $8K vet bill on a $80K/year salary is a lot of money (10% actually). you're talking about a monthly intake of <$7K before taxes. add in all the other expenses-mortgages, bills, health care, 401k, etc, and that doesn't leave a ton of cash leftover. try to be a bit more considerate of your mother's financial constraints. unless you're in there balancing her checkbooks, you have no true way of knowing her expenses

third, this is an expense that should have been thought of before getting a dog. certain breeds will cost you an arm and a leg in vet bills. dachshunds are one of those breeds, given the likelihood of a major back injury. I would implore anyone thinking of getting a doxie (and other "long" dogs like corgis) to budget a good chunk of money aside for the possibility of a major back injury just like owners of certain breeds like a GSD should budget for possible hip issues down the line

lastly, you have options beyond depending on your mother. ask you vet if they will take payments. look into Care Credit. get a credit card and charge the bill to that. worse case scenarios: surrender the dog to a rescue, in particular, a breed specific rescue, in hopes that they will take care of the surgery before adopting the dog out. or, if none of these options work and the dog is truly in pain, put him humanely to sleep and end his pain

I can understand the frustration, but it's time to put on your big boy shoes and take care of your dog and not rely on your mother to do so. again, if this is your dog, she's under no obligation to pay for any vet bills (and if it's her dog or the family dog, it's still her decision to make, not yours)

ETA: and if this response comes off as a bit harsh, it's b/c this is the sort of rant I'd expect to written by a 10 year old child, not a supposed young adult pursuing college

Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
ROFL, no we have no loans. My dad paid for the house in CASH.
I have a job but Im also a student.... I cant frickin believe it. I guess ur one of those people lost themselves with money. Life is priceless. **** u

What did your Dad say when you asked him to pay for it?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks eevee for that reply....Puts things in a lot better perspective.
My emotions got the best out of me...and dang I never cried that much in my life......

But I got in a lot of trouble in my teens....and coming home to a dog so happy to see me always made my day...I learned to care for others than my selfish self.....But now I see him in sooo much pain and I know what hes going through...
It may be just a dog to some people, but to me he is a brother, a family member and the sunlight...

I still cant forgive my mom, and if shes ever in the hospital facing the same situation, Ill be sure to remember what she did to our dog.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
You really are childish. As a 21-year-old myself, you put the rest of us young people to shame. No wonder adults think we are rotten.

I feel sorry for your dog, but that is a lot of money. My parents would not pay it and I don't blame them. Is the surgery a sure thing? Sometimes a surgery is not a cure all.

I understand you are upset, but I'm sure your Mom has her reasons.

If you are really that concerned about the dog, take out a loan to pay for the surgery. Your mom probably has a lot to deal with, including raising a rotten kid like you. This should not be her responsibility.

If you really take this out on your mom for this, then you are the despicable human being that you come across as.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
please, if the dog is really in that much pain, have him humanely euthanized. spinal injuries can be very painful if left untreated. something needs to be done ASAP, you can't leave him like this while you duke out this money situation w/ your mother. take him back to the vet first thing Monday morning and do something

Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
please, if the dog is really in that much pain, have him humanely euthanized. spinal injuries can be very painful if left untreated. something needs to be done ASAP, you can't leave him like this while you duke out this money situation w/ your mother. take him back to the vet first thing Monday morning and do something
My thoughts exactly. Few people would spend that much money on surgery for a dog. Just think of how many dog's lives that money could save, and yet you want to spend it to prolong the life of one dog and don't even know how long. For all you know, the surgery could kill the dog. They do die in surgery you know.

I was a single mom for years. I know what your mother is going through and you have no clue. You sound like a totally spoiled brat that's never had to face a single REAL hardship in life. And your parents divorce isn't YOUR hardship, so get over it. Kids go through parents divorcing daily and handle it just fine. Get off your royal throne and stop playing the victim. Kids like you give other kids a bad name.

Pay to have the dog euthanized to spare it from pain if you care. And then go donate a couple thousand to a local shelter or rescue where it will be put to save the lives of dogs that have gone through the kind of hell that you'll never be forced to deal with. And then grow the hell up.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I think we all understand your sorrow but no one here is in your Mom's shoes and are in no position to agree or disagree with her decision since it is her money. You didn't say how old the dog is either. To take money out of her retirement is a BIG deal. You never get that money back plus you have to pay taxes on it. I have a friend who took out 10K for chemo for her dog. It didn't prolong her life but mayve a few months.

Everyone here loves dogs but we also know we need our family too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs