U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 AM

417 posts, read 921,691 times

Advertisements

So Sydney finally got neutered on Sunday...as some of you may remember, when we contacted my vet about the neuter, they quoted a price of almost $500 when all was said and done...so we started looking around at low cost spay & neuter places...I found a great local rescue that had clinics on sundays..they had awesome reviews, great reputation, etc. so he went this sunday. We picked him up around 4:30 and brought him home..he was still out of it and slept most of the afternoon/night but around midnight the pain meds must have worn off because I can tell he is definitely uncomfortable now..he also tried licking the incision so I had to put an elizabethan collar on him while we're at work. So two questions..

1.) Anyone have any suggestions on easing his pain/ discomfort? I called my vet but they said it should subside and wouldnt be worth prescribing more pain meds..any home remedies?
2.) He HATES the cone..as soon as I put it on him, he stands with his head hanging and doesn't move..he will sit eventually but will not lay down with it on..his personality completely changes when its on..any other suggestions on how to keep him from licking/irritating the incision other than the cone? He will only have it on for about 3 hours before myself and my bf go home during our lunch hour but then he'll have to put it back on until my bf gets home at 4

Otherwise, his appetite is fine..he ate a full meal when we got home last night and had his breakfast this morning..any suggestions are much appreciated..our last dog was spayed before we adopted her so I haven't had to deal with this in quite a while..just want to make my poor Sydney more comfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,789,484 times
how much does he weigh? baby asprin will help with the pain but id need to know his weight for dosage, im very suprised the vet hasnt told you to give baby asprin, every vet ive worked with sends the animal home with a list of after care instructions that includes dosage for uncoated baby asprin for pain.

as for licking his insicions...unfortunatly this is very common, cone is the best precuation...its tough with a neuter...

you could try, depending on the size of the dog...getting some boys underware, tighty witey style, cut a hole for his tail and put these on, they need to be loose enough around the legs to not cut off circulation but tight enough that they cant be pulled off easily.

you could also try an inflatable cone, they are a little more comfortable and less invasive than those big plastic ones.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM

He's 42 lbs. Medium size, lean dog. All my vet told me was that he should be fine within another day or two and if the pain continues after that than to bring him in. I was thinking about the tighty whiteys and I am also running to petsmart on my way home during lunch to see if they have a smaller, more comfortable cone. Is it any baby aspirin? A specific brand? Thanks for your help!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 AM

16,666 posts, read 26,726,373 times
I hate when our dogs are uncomfy. I wish I had advice for you -- I would have likely DEMANDED meds (and strong ones, at that) -- but all I can offer is hugs to you and Syd.

PS. Baby aspirin sounds like a great idea. Morphine sounds even better, but that's just me.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM

In case foxywench doesn't come back here for a bit, Google baby aspirin dosage dogs and see what you come up with as far as dosage. She did say "uncoated," so make sure that that's what you get.

This is the first hit: Giving Your Dog Aspirin - Succeed with Healthy Animals: School for Champions

Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Thank you! Thank you! Googling now...and will give Sydney your hugs...I'm currently trying to persuade my boss to let me work from home this afternoon..fingers crossed

Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Googling now...and will give Sydney your hugs...I'm currently trying to persuade my boss to let me work from home this afternoon..fingers crossed
My fingers and toes are all crossed for you. Artie's paws are too.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
so sorry your baby is in pain. I know how I hurt when they hurt. Hope he feels better quick!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,789,484 times
3 UNCOATED baby asprin (or 3/4 of an uncoated adult asprin) every 12 hours should do it.

i usually cut them up small or crush them (they crush fairly easily) and sprinkle into a little peanut butter or cream cheese...never fails

Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,017,135 times
I hope your boy feels better soon!! Bella is at the vet's now. My vet asked me if I wanted her to be sent home with pain meds but we are going to wait and see how she does. I won't be picking her up until tomorrow after work so it will be a much longer stay than Sidney.

If the boy's undies don't work you can buy a diaper from Petsmart. They have cloth ones that velcro on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs