U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:24 AM

501 posts, read 1,111,320 times

Advertisements

For anyone who might read this thread, please send positive thoughts to our much loved elderly dog, either for his recovery or a peaceful passing for one of the best dogs ever.

He is on his way to the vet with my dh, and it doesn't look good. I can't think of anything else to say, other than we love him very much and no matter how many years we have with them, it isn't enough.

It just isn't enough time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,463,882 times
Oh, I know. It's never enough time.

My thoughts are with you in this tough time.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,022,426 times
My thoughts are with you also. I hope everything turns out for the best.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 AM

16,683 posts, read 26,775,402 times
Sending all sorts of positive thoughts -- and hugs -- your way.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Thank you, the support means a lot right now. Just typing it has made it real enough for me to finally take a breath and let the crying start. On the chance that he might make it and need time at the dog hospital, I decided to stay here to feed & water our cows and horses, because there is a big snow storm on the way.

But it is so hard - if he doesn't make it, I will always wish I'd been there to tell him one more time how absolutely awesome a run we've had with him in our lives, how much I'll miss him, and that it is okay to go. The only thing I can think is that if he does pass, he is with the man who has lit up eyes and been the object of his devotion and love for over 15 years. Our boy's sister was my once in a lifetime dog, and he is my dh's.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
if he doesn't make it, I will always wish I'd been there to tell him one more time how absolutely awesome a run we've had with him in our lives, how much I'll miss him, and that it is okay to go.
You wouldn't have to be there to tell him. He'd know how you feel.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,091,483 times
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I agree with Dawn, he knows how much you love him. *hugs*

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,967,503 times
I am so sorry that you have to go through this I am sending all good thoughts your way. Trust in your heart that your baby knows how much you love him.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM

My heart knows you both are right about that.

He'd had health issues earlier this year from which he recovered, and we made a bucket list for him for the summer - he went camping in the tall pines, on a fishing trip, to the river, to the beach, and pretty much made a swing by every place he'd ever liked to visit to see them one last time. To our horror, he added eating a real bucket of his former favorite "road trip with dad" food, an entire seven piece bucket of KFC which dh had left unattended, but out of reach (guess not for a gsp) when my dh left him alone in the truck to get something out of the back. Guess our boy figured we'd left the KFC bucket off the bucket list by mistake.

When things declined a month ago, I told dh that I was going to have a reverse Irish wake for him - so every day, we remembered something cool or funny that he'd done over the years while we petted him and hung out. And did things that you can't do after a wake, like jeep rides several times a week here on the ranch to see a favorite bird or sniffing spot, a ride to a park in town, a ride down to the nearby General Store where he was petted, wished well and given his favorite biscuits for free by the people there. Yes, we even took him on a cheeseburger run like in the old days.

I'll keep remembering that it isn't as much about the moment they leave us, as it is about all the other moments that we all are lucky enough to share with our best friends.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
I'll keep remembering that it isn't as much about the moment they leave us, as it is about all the other moments that we all are lucky enough to share with our best friends.
Ah, but you hit the nail right on the head there, didn't you?!

All those things that you did with him? Remember those. He will. Always. And he'll remember you. Always. And you have SUCH wonderful memories. Always.

If he doesn't make it, remember, too, to be as kind to yourself as you were to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or