Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times

Advertisements

I don't know if a dog can tire of the brand of food or type he's on. Nor do I know if I should (non-allowed word) food again. What do ya'll think. This has been going on all week, maybe longer. He won't eat but once a day, and at night. At night is when I play ball with him and give him vitamins cut up as treats. He then goes for a bit of food between his tiny bites of his soft chew vitamins. If I don't give him any, he may eat a nibble of his food, and then again he may only smell and walk away. I gave him a bit in his tiny scooper and he ate only when I added some of his vitamins in there. Anytime I add stuff in his dry food he will eat, but after a while, he will pick only the wet and leave the dry. This has gotten to the point like whenever I have switched food on him. What brands do ya'll use~? Have any of ya'll had these issues~? I only gave him one treat this am after I groomed him and nothing more. I have cut treats out in the past and did pick the bowl up after so many minutes if he didn't eat, but nothing like that works for him. He holds out. Is this a terrier issue. I just don't know of anything else to do except to (non-allowed word) and I have no idea to what brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I only switch if I find something better. I think they've been eating cheap stuff for about 5 yrs now. If they get hungry, they'll eat what I put down. I feed twice a day.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I don't know if a dog can tire of the brand of food or type he's on. Nor do I know if I should (non-allowed word) food again. What do ya'll think. This has been going on all week, maybe longer. He won't eat but once a day, and at night. At night is when I play ball with him and give him vitamins cut up as treats. He then goes for a bit of food between his tiny bites of his soft chew vitamins. If I don't give him any, he may eat a nibble of his food, and then again he may only smell and walk away. I gave him a bit in his tiny scooper and he ate only when I added some of his vitamins in there. Anytime I add stuff in his dry food he will eat, but after a while, he will pick only the wet and leave the dry. This has gotten to the point like whenever I have switched food on him. What brands do ya'll use~? Have any of ya'll had these issues~? I only gave him one treat this am after I groomed him and nothing more. I have cut treats out in the past and did pick the bowl up after so many minutes if he didn't eat, but nothing like that works for him. He holds out. Is this a terrier issue. I just don't know of anything else to do except to (non-allowed word) and I have no idea to what brand.
For the past few weeks, I've been trying out new dog food. First, I ordered a bag of Evo as it is high quality with high portions of meat and grain free. They liked this food but I learned that the brand has been bought out by P&G which has ruined other good brands it bought.

So, I began researching quality dog foods and found Orijen which appears awesome. It is grain free, 70% meat, and uses only fresh, locally caught, and free range meats. Check out their website! I ordered small bags, 5.5 lbs, of Orijen's three different flavors: 6 Fish, Adult (chicken, turkey, fish, and whole eggs) and Regional Red (wild boar, lamb, bison, etc). I fed them a different flavor each week. They went nuts over every flavor and actually preferred this food over their treats which are also good quality. Tonight, I placed a order for their large bags in each flavor and plan to rotate the flavors each time they finish a bag so that they will stay interested. Orijens appears expensive but they eat less of it so the cost evens out for me.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
plan to rotate the flavors each time they finish a bag so that they will stay interested.
My dog is on "Blue Buffalo", and it is pretty much the same concept as your dog food. I mixed a bit of the wet food of "Blue" in there this am, and he did he a bit of dry and not nibble on only the wet. That is a great idea to rotate the flavors but all the choices for small breed that they have is either the chicken and rice (which is what he's on now) or the fish, which he wasn't too crazy about when I switched him to this from "Royal Canine". He's been on numerous of food, but I will check and see if they have other flavors. Thanks for the idea

Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Artie is Mr. Finicky. I won't get into the whole list of things that I've done to entice him (hamburger, freeze-dried patties, egg, green beans, etc...) but this is working like magic for him now:

Sprinkle some food topper on his kibble. If they come in chunks (i.e. if they're labeled as treats) then, while still in the bag, smash it with a hammer (thanks MAK!) until it's dust. A teaspoon or so on the kibble, shake the bowl so that it gets incorporated, and your dog will eat. Well, mine did, and he's the most difficult dog to get to eat kibble.

This morning he had the liver one. He vacuumed that bowl.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. There are others. You'll want to get one that's just one ingredient (just liver, just beef, just chicken, or just salmon).

100% Natural and Organic Pet Treats- Complete Natural Nutrition - Natural Pet Treats- Real Food Toppers (http://www.completenaturalnutrition.com/show_info.php?page_id=63 - broken link)

Another brand is Pure Bites (or PureBites as one word, I'm not sure). That's the brand of liver that Artie had today.

Also, as MAK explained to me, they make them for cats as well. The only difference is that the cat packages are smaller. So if you're looking to try a small amount, you'll want to get the cat variety. But it's the exact same stuff (one ingredient).

Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie is Mr. Finicky. I won't get into the whole list of things that I've done to entice him (hamburger, freeze-dried patties, egg, green beans, etc...) but his is working like magic for him now:

Sprinkle some food topper on his kibble. If they come in chunks (i.e. if they're labeled as treats) then, while still in the bag, smash it with a hammer (thanks MAK!) until it's dust. A teaspoon or so on the kibble, shake the bowl so that it gets incorporated, and your dog will eat. Well, mine did, and he's the most difficult dog to get to eat kibble.

This morning he had the liver one. He vacuumed that bowl.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. There are others. You'll want to get one that's just one ingredient (just liver, just beef, just chicken, or just salmon).

100% Natural and Organic Pet Treats- Complete Natural Nutrition - Natural Pet Treats- Real Food Toppers (http://www.completenaturalnutrition.com/show_info.php?page_id=63 - broken link)

Another brand is Pure Bites (or PureBites as one word, I'm not sure). That's the brand of liver that Artie had today.

Also, as MAK explained to me, they make them for cats as well. The only difference is that the cat packages are smaller. So if you're looking to try a small amount, you'll want to get the cat variety. But it's the exact same stuff (one ingredient).
This is our resident finicky eater expert. She's a bad influence though, because I am now the proud owner of a very finicky eater as well!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
This is our resident finicky eater expert. She's a bad influence though, because I am now the proud owner of a very finicky eater as well!
Artie and PC really must be brothers at heart -- PC learned to be finicky from Artie through cross-country thought waves.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,043 times
Maybe he's sick. Have you taken him to a vet yet?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie and PC really must be brothers at heart -- PC learned to be finicky from Artie through cross-country thought waves.
Or maybe they have mamas who cater to their every need! But, there is hope for you! We see what I did to PC, so MB doesn't get a choice...he gets the Orijen regular adult formula and that's it...no mixing of fish, red meat, no hand feeding and no begging him to eat. And, he eats it as soon as it is put down, without any mix-ins! You learn with your first!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Or maybe they have mamas who cater to their every need! But, there is hope for you! We see what I did to PC, so MB doesn't get a choice...he gets the Orijen regular adult formula and that's it...no mixing of fish, red meat, no hand feeding and no begging him to eat. And, he eats it as soon as it is put down, without any mix-ins! You learn with your first!
Artie wasn't like this the first three and half years of his life. Then we met, and the chaos began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs