Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,610 times

Advertisements

A bit of a pet peeve of mine. My dog is cute and "looks" friendly with her shaggy coat, spot over one eye, and one floppy ear. She's a little dog too, just 20 pounds. So people tend to reach down and try to pet her and she doesn't like it. She doesn't seem to like strangers (once she gets to know someone, she's overly friendly). If I get to warn them, I do. But some people just reach down when I'm preoccupied picking up poo or something. And some people ignore me. They actually ignore me.

The problem is she mouths to let people know she doesn't like it. She basically grabs their hand and growls, but doesn't bite down. She grabs them quickly though and almost everyone jumps back when she does it and gasps. Then they usually laugh for some reason. Or sometimes snaps her jaws really hard in the air. It's to the point where when I see someone, while my dog is looking at them with her tail wagging I have to forewarn, "she bites!" Even though it's not a real bite.

What gets me is that people would never just reach down and pet most other dogs. One man reached down to pet her and I managed to warn him but he decided to pet her anyway. She mouthed at him (lightly chewed his hand) and growled. Then she started barking at him. He thought it was cute. She wagged her tail the whole time.

The one saving grace, kids. Almost every kid will ask if they can pet her and I get to warn them. Depending on their age I let them say hello or tell her to do a trick (which she does) but I tell them not to touch her and they don't. She's perfectly fine with that.

I'll be honest, I don't know what she's doing or if it's really fear, excitement, or play. She only does it with strangers, not people she knows. I just worry that she's going to upset the wrong person someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 05:21 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times
She's letting people know that she is protecting you (and herself). Yes, it's worrisome. My dog used to be like that. She especially disliked women with big butts. I have no idea why. She would snap at their asses and I was always afraid she would take a hunk out of them.

She still doesn't like people running up to her, but if they walk normally and don't force themselves, she's OK. I always have a few small treats in my pocket for people to give her. Once that's done, they're friends for life.

People should never, ever run up to a dog or pet/handle it unexpectedly or without permission. It's especially worrisome when then bend down and put their faces "in range".

Old 03-01-2017, 06:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Put a yellow ribbon on her. Do You Know What A Yellow Ribbon Tied On A Dog

Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,880 times
I've seen harnesses on dogs being trained for the blind and also police - use one of those with BIG letters. "Do not pet me!".

Or firmly say "Stay away. S/he bites."

Old 03-01-2017, 07:00 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think dog people know what that means, but I'm not sure that the average non-dog person does.

How about something more explicit, like a vest that clearly says "DO NOT PET."
Therapy Dog Vest, Service Dog Vest & Adopt Me Vest Custom rescue and therapy dog vest Therapy Dog Vest, Service Dog Vest & Adopt Me Vest

They also have (yellow) leashes that say "NERVOUS." https://www.amazon.com/NERVOUS-PREVE.../dp/B00BXL66IU

Or just a bandana: https://www.amazon.com/personalised-...EYDR8W70E1HZAN

Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 PM

Too bad they don't have one that say, "Don't let the cute face fool you, hell hound in disguise!" Lol

Okay, she's not really a hell hound or that bad. It's just a goofy nickname I call her. The reason being is a book I read years ago (Good Omens) where the anti Christ is a kid and he is sent a hell hound from Hades. The hound is telepathic and reads the kid's mind to see what kind of vicious, intimidating dog he should appear as... well, here's the quote:

Quote:
Adam’s bucolic life begins to change when he turns 11. The Infernal Powers send him a hellhound on his birthday, to protect and guard him from harm. Just as the first Adam named the creatures in the Garden of Eden, great significance is attached to Adam Young’s naming of the hellhound. It is an act that confirms the Antichrist is in full possession of his powers and that Armageddon approaches on schedule. But Adam defies expectations, wishing for a “proper mongrel” and choosing the simple name Dog. The hellhound is bound to obey, and instantly transforms from a big, snarling, wolfish creature into a small canine with one ear turned inside out, an overwhelming love of its Master, and a mad urge to wag its tail.
Lol... sorry, just threadjacked my own thread I suppose.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 PM

Oh, by the way, I think the bandanna might work best. It would be right where people reach to pet her and would be big enough to see (she's so small any writing on a leash would be small too).

Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
The dog is the alpha and you are the beta. You need to get this situation under control before it turns serious when this dog bites somebody and you have to pay their medical bills.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I confess that I often pet strange dogs. However, I am always careful, even with "cute" dogs, to gauge their attitude and approach them slowly. If their tail's not wagging and they don't approach me, I leave them alone.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
I agree with niftybergin about trying a warning leash or bandana. There is also a red version on Amazon that says "DO NOT PET". The brand is Dexil. It might be worth spending $20 to save the stress of dealing with people who don't ask first.

It's good to hear the children are asking permission before petting. The parents and teachers are educating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs