Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:25 AM

305 posts, read 330,632 times

Advertisements

He is a 9 year old boxer. If we keep him in the bedroom with us which we usually do, 99% of the time he is fine but if we don't he goes into the kitchen and pees. He is home 10 hours a day by himself and we do come home to accidents but not often. So not sure why he will always get up around 3 am and go to the kitchen. We usually take him out around 9 pm. So now we are keep him with us at night by putting his gate in front of the door. We tried a belly ban but he finds a way to move it and go anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
He has to hold his urine for 10 hours during the day?? That is a long time for any dog much less a senior or puppy. It must be agonizing and I feel terribly sorry for him. It's not a nice thing to do to any dog. Do you pee only every 10 hours? :-(

My thought is he is peeing because he doesn't get out often enough although if he is in the room with you he will hold it because dogs don't like peeing in their sleeping area.

Can someone come home at lunch to let him out or maybe hire a dog sitter to come and let him out once during the day?

I have a feeling you are not going to like any of the responses on here because most of the people are going to agree that your dog needs to get out to pee more often.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:02 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
He is a 9 year old boxer. If we keep him in the bedroom with us which we usually do, 99% of the time he is fine but if we don't he goes into the kitchen and pees. He is home 10 hours a day by himself and we do come home to accidents but not often. So not sure why he will always get up around 3 am and go to the kitchen. We usually take him out around 9 pm. So now we are keep him with us at night by putting his gate in front of the door. We tried a belly ban but he finds a way to move it and go anyways.
Have you been treating this dog that way for NINE years ?? It's appalling and abusive. And you bind his belly ? Why do you even have a dog ? So sorry I read this.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 AM

I know plenty of people who have dogs that are home all day because people work. My coworker has a dog that never has accidents and it only goes out at 6 pm and then again in the morning.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:21 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Just like with old people, your dog clearly has trouble 'holding it' through the night. You probably need to incorporate a middle of the night pee-break for the dog. Hopefully you live where you can just open the door for 5 min while he goes out and takes care of it. Then both of you just go back to sleep. You will get used to it. He can't help it.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
I would schedule a trip to the vet's office and have them check his kidney function and for diabetes.

In the meantime, since your dog is now a senior dog, I would plan on getting up with him in the middle of the night.
Or plan on cleaning up in the morning.

These are the realities of life with an older dog.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:43 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Dogs can go a long time without peeing. Ours easily goes 10 hours, and we have to wake him up in the morning to go out. On the other hand, if he feels like punishing us, he will go in the house. I feel it is not physical, but a choice.
My dog is only 4 though, so there may be a reason in an older dog.
If we didn't keep our dog with us at night, I think he would pee in the house to express his displeasure, not because he had to.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:54 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just like with old people, your dog clearly has trouble 'holding it' through the night. You probably need to incorporate a middle of the night pee-break for the dog. Hopefully you live where you can just open the door for 5 min while he goes out and takes care of it. Then both of you just go back to sleep. You will get used to it. He can't help it.
I agree with this. We have an almost 9-year old, and he wakes us each night (morning) around 2:30-3:00am to be let out. He can and has held it for 8 hours but we let him out approximately every 6 hours. That just seems more realistic to us given his age and size. A dog walker comes in the middle of the work day to let him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
These are the realities of life with an older dog.
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Dogs can go a long time without peeing. Ours easily goes 10 hours, and we have to wake him up in the morning to go out. On the other hand, if he feels like punishing us, he will go in the house. I feel it is not physical, but a choice.
My dog is only 4 though, so there may be a reason in an older dog.
If we didn't keep our dog with us at night, I think he would pee in the house to express his displeasure, not because he had to.
Age, health, and size of the dog frequently determine how long they can hold it.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 AM

He is in good health. Knock on would he stays that way. He just had his check up and the vet.-

Old 03-02-2017, 09:26 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,101 times
10 hours?? That's way too long even for a large dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs