Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times

Advertisements

Hi my precious sheltie every so often does a dry hacking cough and I have no clue why she does this. It not a constant cough almost like when a cat gets a furball in its mouth.
Sometimes when she laying upside down she does it or when we are playing tag. I know I need to get her to vet soon it doesnt seem alarming just very concerning any suggestions what it is a sign of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,687,119 times
kennel cough is all i can come up with, and a dog only gets this if boarded, or around other outside dogs? they have a shot for this, mostly I do decline.
if the dogs is boarded, yes you do need it.does the dog go to grooming, or dog parks. we had a german shepard b4 this was around and she did come home with this dry cough. therefore just think where the dog was. kennel shot a tech just does in the nose, therefore it is not a shot. that may save you money for an office visit. it goes away in like 2 weeks, if that is what it is.

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-09-2007 at 12:45 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 07:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
It could be a number of things; kennel cough, indication of a heart murmur, a growth in the throat that's irritated, food not being chewed properly and the list goes on. If he's not doing this after eating then I'd eliminate the last item. My suggestion is to have your vet take a look at him.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
Even if he is an indoor dog, there is that possibility of heart worms. It only takes one bite from one infected mosquito to transmit the infection.

You shouldn't delay seeing a vet. It could be serious.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:51 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,905,915 times
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) has a cough associated with it. My dog has had it for the past 10 years. It's a nagging, hacking type cough. Almost to the point where she is gagging.
It usually flares up after she has played hard or extremes in weather...ie., very hot, or cold.

I will say that when I lived in Missouri last year, her condition was 10 times worse. Due to the high humidity.

She takes prednisone and theophylline, as needed.

A trip to the vet will be the way to properly diagnose your pup. It could be nothing, too.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Hi my precious sheltie every so often does a dry hacking cough and I have no clue why she does this. It not a constant cough almost like when a cat gets a furball in its mouth.
Sometimes when she laying upside down she does it or when we are playing tag. I know I need to get her to vet soon it doesnt seem alarming just very concerning any suggestions what it is a sign of?
Could be heartworms.....I just had my chow mix treated for this and it wasn't fun...also cost me over $1000 by the time treatment was over. Had to keep him "quiet" for a whole month....no walks or anything. Have you given your dog heartworm preventative? If not....this could be the problem.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
no and vet has never put her on anything she about 10 years old.

appreciate the info when I can get weekday off to take her ill bump this thread up with hopefully a positive diagnosis.

Im crossing fingers it just furball I get them in my mouth during this summer lol
I wonder what a shaved sheltie would look like lol just kiddin

Old 07-10-2007, 08:13 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,246 times
Quote:

appreciate the info when I can get weekday off to take her ill bump this thread up with hopefully a positive diagnosis.

Im crossing fingers it just furball I get them in my mouth during this summer lol
Didn't mean to scare you by the way!! Good luck ...I hope it's just a furball too! Please let us know.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,905,915 times
Quote:

Shaved sheltie...awww...as long as it doesn't look like a Mr.Bigglesworth... ...kidding...

BTW...the COPD that I mentioned sounds a lot worse than it is...dogs diagnosed with it can still live a happy, productive life for many years with medication. Good luck with everything!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:58 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) has a cough associated with it. My dog has had it for the past 10 years. It's a nagging, hacking type cough. Almost to the point where she is gagging.
It usually flares up after she has played hard or extremes in weather...ie., very hot, or cold.

I will say that when I lived in Missouri last year, her condition was 10 times worse. Due to the high humidity.

She takes prednisone and theophylline, as needed.

A trip to the vet will be the way to properly diagnose your pup. It could be nothing, too.
This is very interesting and luckily I searched before making a thread..
One of my chiweenies coughs in the morning and whenever she plays hard with her sister. We adopted them from a rescue a couple months ago and the rescue said she had kennel cough. We finished the medicine they gave us, but the cough never went away. I then took her to our regular vet and she gave her an antibiotic and some cough medicine, but this also didn't get rid of it. It's now not much of an issue and only happens when she first wakes up or gets excited, but it bothers me. She's definitly not as hyper as her sister and my chow picks on her because she is weaker than the other dogs.
I'm just glad it appears to just be something she has and can live with because I don't think her sister could go on without her. They're never more than a couple feet away from eachother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs