Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times

Advertisements

i agree -- pup is still young, has time to readjust. you've almost missed that 3rd window of opportunity to shape behaviors (what is it - 3 weeks, 3 months and 5-6 months?) so now is your chance to mold that little pup into the handsome boy and loving and LOVED companion he's meant to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times
I don't feel the choice you made was between friends and a dog. I think the choice you made is the quality of person you choose to surround yourself with. Feed that heavy concept to Mr. Mouth and let him choke on it.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,195 times
I'd stop breeding since 1. there is an over population of ALL dog breeds anyway and although you didn't mention the breed I am sure I can find a few thousand of the same breed on Pet Finder 2. Even your "friends" weren't good owners, what about the other poor pups you sold, how did they make out?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
i knwo there are plenty of anti breeders, i truly feel that those people have no idea what a good breeder is and does...
theres a reason i have such stringent screening processes AND such a strict contract...it protects my dogs. they are also all microchipped at 8 weeks with MY information.
im also involved in rescue.

good breeders arnt the ones contributing to the problem. mills, petstores and backyard breeders who dont continue to follow their responsibility through its life are the problem.
without good breeders the pure breeds we know now would eventually die out, and GOOD helthy examples of the breed would be none existent pretty quick...in the mean time bad breeders would continue producing sub par and mixed breed dogs with no health testing or titling, not screening homes, not following up and many of those dogs end up in shelters. (by sub par i simply mean not healthy examples that adhere to breed standard)

both my male and female are AKC/CKC champs with titles in ob, and agility, and my female is a lisenced therapy dog.

the othe rpuppies in this litter, of which im intouch with on a daily basis are all doing great, the other male from this litter is an "animal actor" with plans to appear on a number of tv shows and 2 small movies in the works, his "mommy" also has plans to get him his CGC and therapy pet certs as soon as possible.
2 of the females form this litter who live together are already doing basic agility and working towards their CGC so they too can become therapy dogs
and the 3rd female from this litter has already taken numerous ribbons.
this little guy was the only one who whent to a 'friend' who didnt plan on doing anything more than keeping a pet, which there is nothign wrong with, and given this little guys personality i thought it would be a perfect fit, hes a snuggle bug and would prefer a lap to a show ring any day...
unfortunatly this is proof that even good breeders who are OBSESSIVE can still pick a "winner" they look great om paper...pass all the tests, references and required reading (yes i test potential puppy buyers) passed home checks and many meet and greets...

but in the end...its proof you never realy know a person...
the husband very clearly expected the puppy to actually be a robot, automatically potty trained, born knowing how to sit and stay, and simply put the perfect angel...
he wanted a stuffed animal not a real dog...

i feel bad for his wife, she was heartbroken to let him go.

the good news is hes settlgin in well, i just hope i can find him a home fairly quickly, i hate getting them all settled in and then disrupting them again.

Last edited by foxywench; 11-15-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,195 times
You still don't mention the breed........

Being a mutt person myself as well as knowing that 90% of the pure bred dogs I know don't do the "job" the breed was initially bred to do, a pure bred dog does nothing for me. Honestly right now, there is no excuse to breed or such thing as a responsible breeder there are too many homeless dogs and hundreds being put down every day. A breeder is simply that, a breeder.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i knwo there are plenty of anti breeders, i truly feel that those people have no idea what a good breeder is and does...
theres a reason i have such stringent screening processes AND such a strict contract...it protects my dogs. they are also all microchipped at 8 weeks with MY information.
im also involved in rescue.

good breeders arnt the ones contributing to the problem. mills, petstores and backyard breeders who dont continue to follow their responsibility through its life are the problem.
without good breeders the pure breeds we know now would eventually die out, and GOOD helthy examples of the breed would be none existent pretty quick...in the mean time bad breeders would continue producing sub par and mixed breed dogs with no health testing or titling, not screening homes, not following up and many of those dogs end up in shelters. (by sub par i simply mean not healthy examples that adhere to breed standard)

both my male and female are AKC/CKC champs with titles in ob, and agility, and my female is a lisenced therapy dog.

the othe rpuppies in this litter, of which im intouch with on a daily basis are all doing great, the other male from this litter is an "animal actor" with plans to appear on a number of tv shows and 2 small movies in the works, his "mommy" also has plans to get him his CGC and therapy pet certs as soon as possible.
2 of the females form this litter who live together are already doing basic agility and working towards their CGC so they too can become therapy dogs
and the 3rd female from this litter has already taken numerous ribbons.
this little guy was the only one who whent to a 'friend' who didnt plan on doing anything more than keeping a pet, which there is nothign wrong with, and given this little guys personality i thought it would be a perfect fit, hes a snuggle bug and would prefer a lap to a show ring any day...
unfortunatly this is proof that even good breeders who are OBSESSIVE can still pick a "winner" they look great om paper...pass all the tests, references and required reading (yes i test potential puppy buyers) passed home checks and many meet and greets...

but in the end...its proof you never realy know a person...
the husband very clearly expected the puppy to actually be a robot, automatically potty trained, born knowing how to sit and stay, and simply put the perfect angel...
he wanted a stuffed animal not a real dog...

i feel bad for his wife, she was heartbroken to let him go.

the good news is hes settlgin in well, i just hope i can find him a home fairly quickly, i hate getting them all settled in and then disrupting them again.
Like others on here have said, THANK YOU for taking your puppy back and getting him out the the hands of that idiot. As for the friendship - I wouldn't want to be friends with a monster that treated a puppy that way. Or as that old saying goes....you can't fix stupid!

Glad you got him back and hopefully you can undo all the damage that has been done!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
You still don't mention the breed........

Being a mutt person myself as well as knowing that 90% of the pure bred dogs I know don't do the "job" the breed was initially bred to do, a pure bred dog does nothing for me. Honestly right now, there is no excuse to breed or such thing as a responsible breeder there are too many homeless dogs and hundreds being put down every day. A breeder is simply that, a breeder.
i gleaned from her post that she is talking about Chinese Cresteds.....

and foxywench is right.... RESPONSIBLE breeders (which she really seems to be) are NOT the problem..... it is the millers and bybers and the people dumb enough to buy cute little puppies from pet stores and through newspaper classified ads and over the internet that are the problem......

Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
sorry, yes hes a chinese crested...a very cute true hairless too lol, not enough furnishings to do well in the ring, but hes got the most adorable mohawk!
ill try and post some pictures later (im not a good photographer lol)

the damage seems to be unraveling very quickly, its night and day today, hes already a different dog, hes been running round, playing, LOVES to snuggle...theres no doubt he hasnt had much attention...
he just doesnt know how to play yet...thatll be fixed pretty dang quick around here. :P

hes a talker too, hes fast asleep next to me right now and all you hear out of him every few mins is "8grumble whimper, moan whine grumble* it sounds like hes having a conversation. my male keeps looking at him like "WTF?" lol

Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
can NOT wait for the pictures!!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
can NOT wait for the pictures!!
Yup me too! Sounds like a cutie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs