U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM

6,165 posts, read 9,355,565 times

Advertisements

i produced a litter in the summer...
part of my contract is that if for ANY reason at any time in the dogs life the owner cannot keep it, it comes back to me...
i brought this animal into the world, its welfare for its entire life is, in a large part my responsibility...plain and simple...i think its one of the many things that makes a good breeder, having the breeder there for the dog through its life...

well i get a note from a friend and a link to an add, one of MY puppies, being sold for almost triple what the people paid with "full breeding rights" (all my puppies unless otherwise discussed (ie show home) goes on a spay/neuter contract.

so i follow up with the people and long story short, the wife is having some health issues and the husband decided its "his right" to breech contract to make a profit because i lied and sold them a "stupid" dog...
after a couple of choice words with the husband and a couple of good conversations with the wife, she agreed that her husband was in breech and decided given his attitude and her health she wanted me to come get him.

this brought up the husband, who i might add has been my friend for over 8 years, telling me im stupid and a horrible person for being willing to throw 8 years of friendship away for a stupid dog...
my responce...ive thrown away more for less! anyone thats known me for 8 years and doesnt realize im the kind of person to put one of my dogs before a person obviously never knew me in the first place!

long story short i whent to pick him up this morning, she sent him out shopping and we arranged everything, signed him over to me legally and home we came.

im heartbroken...
this dog is 5 1/2 months old. when we got there to pick him up he was typically nervous of strangers in his house and barked but soon settled down, but as soon as we whent to pet him he cowered...
i didnt think much of it then, nerves, simple obvious lack of socilization.

she explains that theyve found it impossible to housebreak him...
then explains that their methods of trying involved shoving him on the deck and locking him outside...
oh and he 'plays rough" with the cats.

i get him home...hes never been walked on leash...ever
when he left he was housebroken...now hes TERRIFIED of outside
he was petrified of the other dogs (though now its been a few hours and hes remembered who they are hes relaxed alot and has been instigating play!!!)
hes slightly overweight...*grumbles*
and as i took off his sweater to put something with a little more coverage on him (hes hairless) his back is covered in NaSTY looking scars...im not talking the occasional nick or graze, one of these scars literally goes from his neck to the base of his tail and is quite wide (indicating it was probably quite deep)
theres also a few red welts and small bruises.

i found out later that a few times the hubby got so frustrated with the dog going potty in the house, hes taken a kick at or a swing for the dog, though 'never actually touched him'...

hes already come along way in only a few hours...
hes comfortable with my cresties now hes remembered them, hes more comfortable outside as he follows their lead (though weve still not had a sucessfull outside potty break...) and hes definatly relaxed alot...

i just...

these people are supposed to be my friends, and while im still on great terms with the wife...
i just cannot in all honesty forgive the husband 1 for his attitude with me or 2 his attitude towards this puppy...

you think you know someone right?! i mean 8 years fo friendship, when they came to pick him up they were so enthusiastic, theyd done everything i asked from the purchase list to the required reading, they were BOTH in agreeance of getting the pup, they whent through both home inspections and meetings and their kid had to pass the doggy meet and greet too...
i mean its pretty obvious just from my screening process...making even my frineds go through it that this isnt just a peice of property to me to just get bored and forget about...
and then hes suprised that im willing to "throw away" a frinedship over something so important to me.

my dogs are my life...

so now i need to get him all vet checked, and neutered and find him a new home where he will be spoilt rotten correctly.
i mean for goodness sake, how do you break a 5 1/2 month old puppy, they didnt take him home untill he was 12 weeks old!!! thats 2 1/2 months and hes gone from an outgoing housebroken well socilized happy puppy to a little bundle of nerves.

the good news is hes settling so quickly ive no doubt hell settle into his forever home pretty dang quick!
but still...

i understand hard times...
i understand frustration (but letting a 5mth old puppy out every 8 hours locking on a deck is not a housebreaking method)
but i dont understand how someone can change so much in such a short time...
ive talked to them 3 times a week since they took puppy home, walking them through problems with housebreaking trying to teach them new methods, and shes been too sick and hes been to lazy to follow them...
and then he blatantly attempted to breech contract and then attack me verbally over it?!

grr arg.

so how many out there in CD land are as obsessive about their animals as me...
would you willingly throw away an 8 year freidnship (we were pretty close at one point) over a dog?
a couple of people have told me im stupid...but i just couldnt live with myself if i hadnt stepped in.

as i type this hes snuggled up in the blanket between my 2 dogs sleeping soundly and i know hes safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:58 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,122,827 times
I would throw out a friendship, drop a family member or anyone who treated a innocent puppy that way. They know you and your commitment to your dogs and they still choose to ignore your contract and abuse your trust.

You did the right thing and now he's safe.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,754,841 times
You did everything possible to ensure a good home for the pup. Sadly, some people are good at concealing their true nature. That would certainly seem to be the case with the friends that purchased the pup.

You definitely did the right thing in reclaiming the pup per the terms of your contract. I wouldn't think twice about compromising an 8yr friendship with people that would so mistreat a dog.

It's a sad thing that the wife is having serious health problems but that in no way excuses the husband's abuse of an innocent puppy.

Thanks so much for doing the right thing by enforcing the terms of your contract and reclaiming the puppy.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:42 PM

16,488 posts, read 31,286,032 times
Thank God you got this poor baby back! That man is a serious risk to other animals and maybe his children. He has NO sense whatsoever. I would report him to Animal Control as the puppy has such a bad scar.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 PM

5,045 posts, read 8,460,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Thank God you got this poor baby back! That man is a serious risk to other animals and maybe his children. He has NO sense whatsoever. I would report him to Animal Control as the puppy has such a bad scar.
This exactly. And I also wouldn't "produce" any more litters unless you're actively showing the stud or ****** (whichever you own). There really is no need to breed your pets, there are more than enough in shelters.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,997,367 times
I take great stock in friendships, but a puppy treated in such a manner tells me they are no friend of mine. I wouldn't even associate with the wife. She allowed it to happen. Glad you got your puppy back. I had to rescue one of my own. It was difficult to get the dog signed back over, but we did it.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,997,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
This exactly. And I also wouldn't "produce" any more litters unless you're actively showing the stud or ****** (whichever you own). There really is no need to breed your pets, there are more than enough in shelters.
I don't recall her saying it was pet quality animals she was breeding. No need to attack without all the facts.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 AM

13,660 posts, read 8,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
I don't recall her saying it was pet quality animals she was breeding. No need to attack without all the facts.

If I bred animals, I would do as the OP does too.

The above post by MAK is in no way an "attack"!!!! Wow! A tad touchy are we?? I FULLY AGREE with MAK. There is no reason to breed dogs and cats. There are millions of poor, homeless cats and dogs in pounds and vets waiting for adoption.

Also, what does "I don't recall her saying it was pet quality animals she was breeding." mean??? WTH else do you breed dogs for?? Pet food?? For a very long short story, I think the OP provided everyone with "all the facts", don't you??

Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 AM

2,806 posts, read 4,147,412 times
What a nightmare! Thank heavens you were able to get the puppy back...I got so mad about those scars...ARRRRAGH! What is wrong with people?! To "take a swing at " or "kick" an innocent puppy...well, let's just say I would absolutely never, ever speak to someone who did such a thing, so to answer your question, yes I would throw a friendship away, regardless of how long I'd known that person, for such atrocoties...there's no justification for harming any creature who is smaller and weaker than oneself, no way to rationalize that.

Fortunately, the pup is still young (and resiliant) and was only with these horrible people for a short time, so I'm sure that with plenty of love and a positive environment he'll recover from this whole mess. My most recent adopted rescue was 8 years old when I took her in, and she had MAJOR issues, (aggression, anxiety, marking, frequent displays of dominance...she would cower and whine when a person bent down to pet her and sometimes even snap, mostly at men). It's taken time and a lot of love, patience and consistency, but she's really a whole different little dog now! She plays, she listens, and the marking behavior (for the most part) has stopped...if an 8 yr. old chi can come around to such an extent, I have every faith your little guy will be just fine.

Best of luck...and kisses to the little lad!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 AM

635 posts, read 1,060,681 times
Default bye-bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
so how many out there in CD land are as obsessive about their animals as me...
would you willingly throw away an 8 year freidnship (we were pretty close at one point) over a dog?
a couple of people have told me im stupid...but i just couldnt live with myself if i hadnt stepped in.

as i type this hes snuggled up in the blanket between my 2 dogs sleeping soundly and i know hes safe.
berate a family member, throw away a friendship, whatever it takes to get the point across. my father and i have come to blows over situations like this. HE WILL ACT LIKE A RESPONSIBLE HUMAN BEING OR HE WILL NOT EXIST IN MY WORLD -- it's a very simple choice to make.

it's not a friendship or a family member that i feel i am losing and it's not 'simply over a dog' --it's much larger than that; it's a despicable human behavior that i will not tolerate. irresponsibility, cruelty, mindlessness have no place in my world. if you are not open to understanding how your behavior affects others -- and for the terminally selfish, they are not 'open' to such a heavy responsibility -- hit the road chuck, and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

i won't allow someone to reduce it to a choice between family and friends or 'just a dog.' it's way more than that, and usually more than the light-minded accuser will ever comprehend.

frankly, i'd be concerned about the mindset of a female friend that chose this man for a husband in the first place. the fact that *she* tolerates would upset me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs