Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:27 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
The story from Mr Young doesn't pass the smell test. Sounds like his laziness got his dog killed. Unlocked gate, no dog collar, no dog license, no micro chip, leaving dog in animal shelter for two days after confirming location? What the hell was this guy thinking. Tragic situation but the owner bares full responsibility for the death of his dog. IMHO the shelter employee got sacrificed on the alter of public opinion.
The shelter has procedures, but a careless employee didn't follow them. Of course, the director is in hot water too -- her head may roll. Maybe (hopefully) this shelter will improve in the aftermath.

Damn, if Target just had an ID tag on her she would have been returned by the neighbor, and living happily at home.

I still can't believe Terry Young didn't do the bare minimum to help ensure Target's safety. She was a special dog. Lots of folks helped to get her into the USA so she could live with Mr. Young. You're right bulldogdad, his story smells like dog doo. I hate to say it, but maybe he didn't care for Target as much as he said. The press seems to have given his irresponsibility a complete pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Many shelters are quick to kill.

What a damn shame.

PLEASE micro chip or id tag your dog.

This shelter f up BIG time but in all fairness so did the soldier.

USE COMMON SENSE.

Pinal County Animal Care and Control
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/AZ60.html

Last edited by steel7; 11-18-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Not the first time something like this has happened in shelters. I have a friend who had a friend put his dog in a shelter on a friday because he couldn't find it a home and he was leaving the country the following monday. On sunday he told my friend and my friend told him he would take care of the dog himself. On monday my friend went to get the dog but the shelter, even though it is supposed to hold dogs for 7 days, had already put the dog down. This happens more than people realise.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Not the first time something like this has happened in shelters. I have a friend who had a friend put his dog in a shelter on a friday because he couldn't find it a home and he was leaving the country the following monday. On sunday he told my friend and my friend told him he would take care of the dog himself. On monday my friend went to get the dog but the shelter, even though it is supposed to hold dogs for 7 days, had already put the dog down. This happens more than people realise.

sadly, owner surrenders almost never have as much time in the shelter that strays do.......

Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 AM

119 posts, read 467,836 times
I know I must be naive but why would they find a dog on Friday and it already be put down by Monday?? I didnt realized that they dont even give a dog a chance to be adopted or found before they euthanize(sp).

I do think the owner does holds some responsibility and I am sure he is grief stricken but this would be a good time to take this horrible tragedy and make people more aware of dog ownership responsibiltiy.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
According to the az shelter the idiot who put the dog to sleep did not follow standard procedure.

I have a feeling the shelter higher ups is just trying to cover their own asses.

Anyone know the idiots name ?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
According to the az shelter the idiot who put the dog to sleep did not follow standard procedure.

I have a feeling the shelter higher ups is just trying to cover their own asses.

Anyone know the idiots name ?
according to one source I've read, they won't release his name due to online threats being made. however, he has been fired now

it's tragic how many people failed to protect this dog, given what she did to protect so many people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs